GordonS

My daft laddie Junior football questions

183 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If you weren't a Bo'nesser I might have believed that.

I've been to Bonnyrigg's ground and they don't seem like a significantly bigger club than Linlithgow Rose, but not knowing the history I didn't know if they were bigger in the past or whatever. So is it genuine, irony, something to tease Linlithgow Rose fans or what?

In terms of trophys won during their entire existance Linlithgow are miles ahead of Bonnyrigg. Auchinleck over 100, only fairly recently overtook Ashfield who were at one time the leaders. Mind you many of them were what we would now term minor cups, e.g. Glasgow North Eastern cup & Glasgow Charity cup, eleven times for each.

Similarly Auchinleck have 14 wins in Ayrshire cup & 10 in Ayrshire League cup. Funnily enough they never did win the Ayrshire Consolation cup, probably too busy winning real cups. Figures updated to 2012 so may not be totally accurate.

Ref. The Winners by Bernard Stocks, fourth Edition 

I hoped that there would be a good story behind it, but that's about 400 times better than I was expecting! One of those great wee quirks that makes a club unique. I was surprised at someone saying they've never heard it, I've certainly heard it at Junior cup finals between Rose and Talbot, and at the recent semi final.  While I'm here, why are Talbot called Talbot?  

The ones that are stating they've never heard it or stating that Talbot fans only sing it at cup finals are at it my friend.

Talbot fans sing it at every game and have done so since it's inception.

Talbots success brings the haters out but we are only hated because we are rated.

I don't know why anyone would deny having heard it. Seems a bit strange.

Its only the north ayrshire fishers that havent heard it

I've only heard once at a game and also from 1 of the players aunties in my local pub. I asked her wit it meant her reply wis dunno my nephew plays for auchinleck lol

Mon the papers

the best known song in the Scottish non league scene  - can't imagine there is much in the way of competition for that accolade.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

If you weren't a Bo'nesser I might have believed that.

I've been to Bonnyrigg's ground and they don't seem like a significantly bigger club than Linlithgow Rose, but not knowing the history I didn't know if they were bigger in the past or whatever. So is it genuine, irony, something to tease Linlithgow Rose fans or what?

They're just bigger.

Only club song i know is Are You From Garngad by Patricia Ferns.

Played before every St Roch's home game.

3 hours ago, BumbleBeeBlastie said:

That's in the auld Kirk in kilbirnie mate. Oldest working church in Scotland. Was the church that funded it

Of course it is. I remember the story now. Was actually married in the Auld Kirk! 

2 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

The ones that are stating they've never heard it or stating that Talbot fans only sing it at cup finals are at it my friend.emoji57.png

Talbot fans sing it at every game and have done so since it's inception.

Talbots success brings the haters out but we are only hated because we are rated.

I've been at at 3 or 4 Talbot games and I've heard it,ask AM he'll tell ye.

The ones that are stating they've never heard it or stating that Talbot fans only sing it at cup finals are at it my friend.Talbot fans sing it at every game and have done so since it's inception.

Any thread brings out your trolling

Any thread brings out your trolling

Any mention of Talbot brings out the green eyed monster.

Any mention of Talbot brings out the green eyed monster.

Couldn't give a monkeys f**k about Talbot. Am stating a fact about yer daft annoying song. It isn't most famous song . It's most boring that's for sure.

Couldn't give a monkeys f**k about Talbot. Am stating a fact about yer daft annoying song. It isn't most famous song . It's most boring that's for sure.

A wee like fae another hater.

the best known song in the Scottish non league scene  - can't imagine there is much in the way of competition for that accolade.

Having followed ladeside for 30 odd years I can assure you there's only a few clubs in juniors like a wee sing song and making noise. Talbot isn't one of them. Utter drivel from the usual " we.re Talbot were amazing crew" Infact I can't remember Talbot come kilbirnie and sing at all. And how quantum can here them from Norwich is even more baffling

A wee like fae another hater.

I certainly don't hate you. I do however think you are top of the league at trolling posts and being in general a walloper . It's all good

34 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

You don't even know what trolling means and you don't bother me in the slightest.
We always take the digs as a compliment.
Keep them coming.emoji106.png

NORWICH ha ha

NORWICH ha ha

The Canaries.

I'm glad someone from North Ayrshire got back on topic slightly.

10 hours ago, Franky Frankopolous said:

Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow are awash with Junior clubs but any reason why Edinburgh isn't apart from Edinburgh United and latterly Craigroyston. I know they have the East of Scotland League but any reason why the clubs in that weren't originally part of the Juniors?

Franky, have you posted this on another site years ago?Did a bit of googling about Junior football in Edinburgh and on an old Scottish League site was near enough the exact same question.......in 2007.

5 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

The Canaries.

I'm glad someone from North Ayrshire got back on topic slightly.

Coming from the pie and bov professional thread killer