Sign in to follow this  
GordonS

My daft laddie Junior football questions

A whole number of famous players signed Junior forms and never saw the inside of a Junior ground. It was done to protect them in the event they never made it at Senior level. Plus the Junior club of choice on the day got a few quid. That's why you still here old stories of Junior chairmen/secretaries going through the front doors of Ibrox and Celtic Park and meeting the likes Bill Struth and Robert Kelly. 

17 hours ago, th1stleandr0se said:

Davie Marshall didn't spend long with the Rose before he was attracting the attention of the seniors and Airdrie won his signature.  He was allowed to stay until the Rose were knocked out of the Cup, which happened to be the fourth round, so we lost him for the rest of the league fixtures.  I believe that was a standard procedure around that time.

By chance I came across a reference to Davie Marshall in the excellent book “Scotland in the Sixties” by Ronnie McDevitt. In recalling the World Cup qualifying match in Cyprus in 1968 he wrote:

On the day of the match Colin Stein had an unexpected reminder of his home town as the players prepared to set off from Famagusta for the match “There was a guy called Davie Marshall who played with Linlithgow Rose and went on to play for Airdrie, I always remember that his brother was one of the soldiers and he came on the team bus and said, what are you doing here? My brother should have been playing instead of you!”

Another example of a player who went from Juvenille to Senior with an incidental  stop off at a Junior club was Brian Marjoribanks who had been a very successful striker in the juvenile game, He was earmarked for, I think, Hibernian but as a back-up he signed for Kilsyth and actually played in one pre-season friendly. We thought we had found a challenger for Alex Querries position but he moved up immediately. In the event he did not make it at the top level but became an extremely good anateur golfer and was for many years a sports commentator with Radio Scotland. I seem to remember that in the 50's & 60's junior clubs were limited to a maximum of two reinstatements per season and I believe that the maximum age was 26 as already stated.

Regarding players who had signed a provisional form to go Senior, I believe the rule was that as long as the junior club was still involved in the Scottish they could hold on to him. We lost Billy Wallace that way in 1958 in mid season although he did play a few more games for us after our defeat by Arniston  Rangers in the Scottish. His great friend and team mate, Jim Storrie, did remain at Kilsyth till the end of the season though. Both went on to extremely successful Senior careers although unfortunately Jim passed away a couple of years ago.

Thanks for educating me on re-instatement.

I have just been reading a debate on the pros & cons of reinstatement in the Evening Times of 28 July 1956. It was clearly a hot topic at that time. Views were sought from personalities in Junior and Senior football -  5 Junior and 3 Senior.

Tommy Walker (Hearts) and John Haddow (Clyde) were all in favour of reinstatement. They said stepping up from Junior to Senior is not always straightforward and some players may take the step too early and they should be able to return to Junior football and not go out of the game.  Tommy Walker made the point that managers can over-estimate the ability of young players and he would feel awkward if there was no reinstatement and he had forced a young player out of football by releasing him.  Jimmy McGrory (Celtic) believed if a player had to serve a two-year spell in the Juniors before stepping up then perhaps re-instatement would not be required.

The view of the Junior officials is diverse. The Vice President of the Glasgow Junior FA said he had changed his mind and was now in favour. Supporters craved instant success. Clubs are not given the time to build a team and a team recruited from amateurs and juveniles will be too young and inexperienced. A team needs the experience that re-instatement provides. The President of the West of Scotland JFA was completely against the “artificial” placement of Juvenile players with Junior clubs by Senior clubs on which there have several posts and examples. He was in favour of a player being reinstated if he had two years Junior service. The Secretary of Benburb and the President of Largs Thistle shared the same view and were completely against reinstatement as it would make players think twice before stepping up. The President of the Central League was in favour of re-instatement. Garrelburn - He was Alan Johnston of Kilsyth Rangers. He quoted  two players Kilsyth wanted to reinstate as examples of players who were far too young to be forced out of the game. They were John Bryden (20) released by Stirling Albion and Robert Bryans (19) who had played for Stirling Albion and Dunfermline.

Edited by bluedragon