My daft laddie Junior football questions

GordonS

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Does that apply to Shotts Bon Accord as well - is that a common name for pits or something?

Sorry I have confused things! I thought you were referring to Shotts Bon Accord in the original question. Other clubs that have used Bon Accord have been Aberdeen clubs using the City's motto. I cannot remember where I heard that Shotts Bon Accord got their name from a local coalmine.

13 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Talbot won the Consolation Cup during the 1930/31 season beating Ardeer Thistle 2-1 at New Beresford Park in Ayr.

Sorry, missed that one, in my defence its very small print!

Another unusually named club, now gone, was Markinch Victoria Rangers, I wonder where that one came from.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Never heard of them before. Magnificent.

Bonnyrigg's pitch slope could qualify them for the same name.

Bonnyrigg's pitch has an incline, Beith have a severe gradient. Lesmahagow lies in the foothills of the Himalayas.

17 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Take the add on's to the names were to differentiate in the beginning from teams in the same town or villiage. Then there's the name's like Benburb, Vale of Clyde or Royal Albert that don't seem to have any local connection whatsoever.

Vale of Clyde are obviously named due to their close proximity to the River Clyde

2 hours ago, bluedragon said:

Sorry I have confused things! I thought you were referring to Shotts Bon Accord in the original question. Other clubs that have used Bon Accord have been Aberdeen clubs using the City's motto. I cannot remember where I heard that Shotts Bon Accord got their name from a local coalmine.

I still cannot find where I heard about the origins of Shotts Bon Accord's name. However, I believe the club was a Juvenile club after the Second World War before moving up to the Juniors in 1950. Hannah Park lies virtually at the end of the long street named Bon Accord Crescent. It sounds as if the club may have taken its name from the street that pre-dated the football club. Perhaps the street has the mining origins? 

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

Sorry, missed that one, in my defence its very small print!

Another unusually named club, now gone, was Markinch Victoria Rangers, I wonder where that one came from.

Markinch Victoria Rangers was the result of a merger between Markinch Victoria and Markinch Rangers in 1938 but it's great neither club lost its name. There had already been a Markinch United so perhaps they wanted to distinguish themselves from the previous club and avoid using "United" in the name of the new, merged club?

53 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Not sure that's correct Markinch VR played in Cupar and District Juvenile league from 1920-1 to 1934-5 when that league ended and then from 35-6 to 36-7 in the East Fife juvenile league. 1937/8 Season they were in Markinch and District amateur league. They were always referred to as Markinch Victoria Rangers in local press.

Thanks for that. I have the club moving into the Fife Junior League  for the 1938/39 season. I thought the reference was to a merger earlier in their Juvenile days but I have no other details. 

1 hour ago, non_sequitur said:

How did Burntisland Shipyard get their name?

Could it have been something to do with a local boat building company perhaps?

Fairfield (Govan) were the first ever winners of the Scottish Junior cup in 1887, pretty sure they must have something to do with the Fairfield Shipyard.

54 minutes ago, Franky Frankopolous said:

Did Loanhead Mayflower have anything to do with the pub of the same name or vice versa?

Nah. That pub's fairly new isn't it? It was always the County Bar and I'm over 60. I don't live there now but wasn't it a Chinese in recent times?

I think the Mayflower was just another team name like Thistle, Bluebell etc.

15 hours ago, Viewparker said:

Where did the name Waverley come from for the teams from Bridgeton and Dennistoun. 

Is it anything to do with the Scott novels? 

The great man’s work also gave Junior football several other Waverleys, Ivanhoes, Rob Roys and, in the Senior game, Heart of Midlothian. However, some are only indirectly named after Sir Walter Scott’s novels. The Kirkintilloch Rob Roy website says the club took its name from a defunct curling club. Hearts took their name from a dancing club that some of the founders belonged to. When looking at the Junior clubs that have the name “Victoria” and “Albert” it was difficult to find one named directly after the Queen or Prince Consort although this was undoubtedly the indirect source of the club names. For example, I was told Brechin Victoria took their name from a local bar. So some clubs may have taken their name from a local park or bar named after the novels. 

On 20 June 2017 at 07:11, bluedragon said:

The great man’s work also gave Junior football several other Waverleys, Ivanhoes, Rob Roys and, in the Senior game, Heart of Midlothian. However, some are only indirectly named after Sir Walter Scott’s novels. The Kirkintilloch Rob Roy website says the club took its name from a defunct curling club. Hearts took their name from a dancing club that some of the founders belonged to. When looking at the Junior clubs that have the name “Victoria” and “Albert” it was difficult to find one named directly after the Queen or Prince Consort although this was undoubtedly the indirect source of the club names. For example, I was told Brechin Victoria took their name from a local bar. So some clubs may have taken their name from a local park or bar named after the novels. 

Interesting reply, bluedragon.

Would be curious to know if there was a Waverley connection in Bridgeton itself. Something that's disappeared into the mists of time like a work, pub or even a street corner. Certainly wasn't the first team with the name Waverley in Glasgow.

48 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Would be curious to know if there was a Waverley connection in Bridgeton itself. Something that's disappeared into the mists of time like a work, pub or even a street corner. Certainly wasn't the first team with the name Waverley in Glasgow.

Strange that there were two Waverley's within a couple of miles of one another, Dennistoun and Bridgeton, could one have been a breakaway from the other?

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Bridgeton Waverley was formed by former pupils of Queen Mary Street Public School but was disbanded during the First World War. After the War it re-formed and won the Scottish Juvenile Cup in three successive seasons (1921/22, 1922/23 & 1923/24) and moved into the Juniors in 1924. The school is actually on Bernard Terrace off Queen Mary Street and is just off (and on the south side of) London Road. Waverley Terrace appears to a name given to part of Whitevale Street that runs north off the Gallowgate. Perhaps with local knowledge you can tell if boys living there would have attended that school or is it too far away? On the other hand their teacher may have made an impact on his/her young charges with the author’s great work!

3 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Strange that there were two Waverley's within a couple of miles of one another, Dennistoun and Bridgeton, could one have been a breakaway from the other?

Waverley was the most popular of the Walter Scott names for football clubs. However, in a time when clubs gave themselves names to distinguish themselves from other teams there must be some connection given that Dennistoun would know that they would play against their namesakes in the Central League.

Dennistoun Waverley appear to have been formed as a Junior team in 1939 and so we can discount the idea that a Juvenile team gave themselves the name after the Bridgeton club and just kept it when they moved up to the Juniors. “Waverley” was also the pen name of the main football journalist at the Daily Record throughout the existence of both clubs. So maybe there is a link there?

4 hours ago, garrellburn said:

In previewing a Dennistoun Waverley v Bo’ness United Junior Cup tie on 7 February 1947 the Bo'ness Journal, and Linlithgow Advertiser said:

“The Dennistoun was originally a breakaway from the famous Bridgeton Waverley.”

Dennistoun Waverley initially played in the Scottish Junior League. Their first attempt to join the Central League in 1939 was “not entertained” at the Central League AGM. Their application came forward again this time at the SJFA AGM in 1940 and the Glasgow JFA delegates were told to leave the room while it was discussed. This caused a stooshie. They were eventually admitted in 1941. On the face of it the breakaway may not have been amicable.

Archived