My daft laddie Junior football questions

GordonS

17 hours ago, wingnut said:

I've been at at 3 or 4 Talbot games and I've heard it,ask AM he'll tell ye.

You sure have wingnut and you sat with me lapping it up when Talbot beat Lithgy at Livingston :thumsup2

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the Junior names are magical or maybe it's just the add on's for example Ardrossan Winton Rovers. Once your hear a name like that you never forget it. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy is another, you couldn't buy a name like that.

Jesus Christ guys the OP asked a question and I answered that question with a quote from a website.

If you don't like Talbot fair enough but if any body claims they haven't heard or know of the chant you are living in a bubble or not a Junior fan. 

EPPP

Take the add on's to the names were to differentiate in the beginning from teams in the same town or villiage. Then there's the name's like Benburb, Vale of Clyde or Royal Albert that don't seem to have any local connection whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

You guys were robbed blind that day. Hope you all enjoyed it nonetheless, and have great memories - the game at Ross County is one of my best memories as a Rose fan, but we had that wonderful second goal to celebrate and left feeling that it was a fair result. 

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Some of the Junior names are magical or maybe it's just the add on's for example Ardrossan Winton Rovers. Once your hear a name like that you never forget it. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy is another, you couldn't buy a name like that.

Rose, Violet, Primrose, Talbot, Ladeside, Meadow, Victoria, Winton Rovers, Panmure, Swifts, Harp... 

It's in the senior game too - Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, Thistle, Queen of the South, St Mirren and St Johnstone... Scottish football is full of romantic names, many with great stories behind them. So much better than the daft, butch names you get in other sports.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Yes there are some terrific names in Junior football and all with a story behind them.

My favourite story is about the name “Royal Albert”. The Larkhall club have had “Royal” in its name 38 years before a certain club from Madrid. However, the name was used because the local pit owner had a ship of that name. When football in Hawick was getting back on its feet after the Second World War there was a Larkhall man (William Bunton) involved who suggested the new club adopt the name from his home town team. Motion carried! So today we have Hawick Royal Albert FC playing in the Lowland League. However there were other “Royal Alberts” in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Maryhill and Darvel whose story is unknown.

However, the most poignant is Lochgelly Albert that took its name from the town on the Somme battlefield where many Fife men fell in the Great War.

22 hours ago, garrellburn said:

In terms of trophys won during their entire existance Linlithgow are miles ahead of Bonnyrigg. Auchinleck over 100, only fairly recently overtook Ashfield who were at one time the leaders. Mind you many of them were what we would now term minor cups, e.g. Glasgow North Eastern cup & Glasgow Charity cup, eleven times for each.

Similarly Auchinleck have 14 wins in Ayrshire cup & 10 in Ayrshire League cup. Funnily enough they never did win the Ayrshire Consolation cup, probably too busy winning real cups. Figures updated to 2012 so may not be totally accurate.

Ref. The Winners by Bernard Stocks, fourth Edition 

Talbot won the Consolation Cup during the 1930/31 season beating Ardeer Thistle 2-1 at New Beresford Park in Ayr.

4 hours ago, bluedragon said:

I asked myself the same question about six months ago and was told it was taken from the name of the local pit.

Does that apply to Shotts Bon Accord as well - is that a common name for pits or something?

4 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Rankinston Mountaineers has to be up there for the romance of the Juniors.

Never heard of them before. Magnificent.

Bonnyrigg's pitch slope could qualify them for the same name.

28 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Does that apply to Shotts Bon Accord as well - is that a common name for pits or something?

I googled the term "Bon Accord" and ended up with the motto for Aberdeen and a Masonic poem???

Amazing what you learn in a Junior fitba forum.

Archived