My daft laddie Junior football questions

GordonS

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GordonS said:

If you weren't a Bo'nesser I might have believed that.

I've been to Bonnyrigg's ground and they don't seem like a significantly bigger club than Linlithgow Rose, but not knowing the history I didn't know if they were bigger in the past or whatever. So is it genuine, irony, something to tease Linlithgow Rose fans or what?

They're just bigger.

3 hours ago, BumbleBeeBlastie said:

That's in the auld Kirk in kilbirnie mate. Oldest working church in Scotland. Was the church that funded it

Of course it is. I remember the story now. Was actually married in the Auld Kirk! 

2 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

The ones that are stating they've never heard it or stating that Talbot fans only sing it at cup finals are at it my friend.emoji57.png

Talbot fans sing it at every game and have done so since it's inception.

Talbots success brings the haters out but we are only hated because we are rated.

I've been at at 3 or 4 Talbot games and I've heard it,ask AM he'll tell ye.

The ones that are stating they've never heard it or stating that Talbot fans only sing it at cup finals are at it my friend.[emoji57]Talbot fans sing it at every game and have done so since it's inception.
Talbots success brings the haters out but we are only hated because we are rated.

Any thread brings out your trolling [emoji23]

the best known song in the Scottish non league scene  - can't imagine there is much in the way of competition for that accolade.

Having followed ladeside for 30 odd years I can assure you there's only a few clubs in juniors like a wee sing song and making noise. Talbot isn't one of them. Utter drivel from the usual " we.re Talbot were amazing crew" Infact I can't remember Talbot come kilbirnie and sing at all. And how quantum can here them from Norwich is even more baffling [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

10 hours ago, Franky Frankopolous said:

Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow are awash with Junior clubs but any reason why Edinburgh isn't apart from Edinburgh United and latterly Craigroyston. I know they have the East of Scotland League but any reason why the clubs in that weren't originally part of the Juniors?

Franky, have you posted this on another site years ago?Did a bit of googling about Junior football in Edinburgh and on an old Scottish League site was near enough the exact same question.......in 2007.

5 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Franky, have you posted this on another site years ago?Did a bit of googling about Junior football in Edinburgh and on an old Scottish League site was near enough the exact same question.......in 2007.

I've only really started getting into the Juniors about 5 years ago so not me. Always wondered why given the areas around Edinburgh, particularly Midlothian, West Lothian are 99% Junior. Always amazes me that up until a couple of seasons ago there were Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Perth, Larkhall and Forfar derbies but not Edinburgh.

16 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Think it was 1930 the East of Scotland League was formed so I suppose there was an alternative for non league sides to join which they did and in general the non leaguers in the City tended to go down that route as you pointed out there was a 30 year gab between Edinburgh City and Edinburgh Utd when there was no junior side and a further 31 before Craigroyston joined them.

The club in Edinburgh with the oldest Junior connection is Civil Service Strollers. The club was formed as the 2nd XI of Edinburgh Civil Service in 1903 but became an independent club in 1908 and were a Junior club until 1923 when they became Senior and moved into the East of Scotland Football League. Apart from a short stay in the Edinburgh & District League (Seniors) they remained there until moving into the Lowland League.

The current Edinburgh United are the longest-serving Junior club at 32 years. Edinburgh Emmet survived for 40 years but only the last 12 years as Juniors. Edinburgh Hawthorn managed 30 years. The first of the two Edinburgh Rentons existed for 27 years. Rosebery ran for 24 years.

The outbreak of the Great War probably led to the demise of Granton Oakvale and Niddrie Bluebell when they were not re-formed after the end of hostilities.

In the period between the two World Wars when perhaps Junior football was its peak there were only five Edinburgh Junior clubs for varying periods:

Civil Service Strollers (East of Scotland Junior Football League)

Edinburgh Emmet (Lothian Junior Football League & East of Scotland Junior Football League)

Edinburgh Renton (Lothian Junior Football League)

Heart of Midlothian Tynecastle XI (Lothian Junior Football League - 1921/22 only )

Edinburgh Rosebery (East of Scotland Junior Football League 1921/22 & 1922/23 only)

However, in the Senior East of Scotland and Edinburgh & District Football Leagues Edinburgh had Clerwood Amateurs, Corstorphine, Edinburgh City, Murrayfield, University of Edinburgh and Civil Service Strollers. 

While this probably shows how Senior non-league football developed ahead of Junior football it does not fully explain the very low number of Junior clubs in the city. 

Yes a good point. Paisley has had lots of short-lived Junior clubs but few made it into the 20th Century.  Inkerman Rangers and Southside managed it but few others. There were several Junior teams at different times linked to St Mirren,  Abercorn and major employers (Coats, Coats & Smith's Limited & Brown's Ferguslie).  Whitehaugh Thistle turned Junior in 1908 and survived until 1925.

14 hours ago, wingnut said:

I've been at at 3 or 4 Talbot games and I've heard it,ask AM he'll tell ye.

I'm no a Talbot hater or jealous of their success,it is what it is and fair play tae them as a club.

I am aged 55 and been watching junior football since I was at Primary school. I have been to dozens of Ladeside v Talbot games and have got to say have never heard this being sung. Admittedly I have been out of the country for the last 3 years so maybe it has just started since then. No doubt Talbot have a considerable support but can hardly remember much singing coming from them at Valefield, Beechwood, Somerset or Rugby Park

Archived