My daft laddie Junior football questions

GordonS

2 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Ardrossan Winton Rovers.

The Earls of Eglinton (Montgomeries - whom built Eaglesham, Ardrossan and its harbour, and originated in Normandy at the place of the same name, nearly, Mont Gommery, but were before that bloody Vikings) who were masters of most of all they surveyed in North Ayrshire and by marriage into polite Edinburgh Society, namely the Setons and the Wyntouns, hence Seton Street and Winton Street, so the Rovers could have called themselves Winton because they pitched up at the top of Winton Street, although it's almost possible that the street was named after them ( kidding) given that this was at least their 3rd venue.  There is a book and website on t'internet with their history.

And owned most of Antrim and Down.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not immersed in Junior football history, and though I've grown to love it over the years I feel I'm missing a lot of stuff that everyone just seems to know. So I thought the off season was a good time to ask my daft laddie questions 
Why do Irvine Meadow have 'XI' in their name?
What's that eeka-peeka-lala-po thing Talbot fans do?
Why are Bonnyrigg Rose known as the big rose? Is it genuine or ironic?
Any help?

In the East we have Bonnyrigg Rose and Linlithgow Rose, and Bonnyrigg are the significantly bigger of the two clubs.

4 hours ago, Shanner said:

Kilbirne / blasties. Could never work that one out.

only learned this season that Beith The Cabes related to the cabinet making industry in the town.

This is a plaque which I think was recently unveiled at the golf club in Kilbirnie by the local Burns Club

IMG_1543.JPG

5 hours ago, A.M said:

Eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka
eeka peeka
eeka peeka pukka po!

Talbot had a deaf and dumb supporter who used to join in the terrace sing songs and his favourite was "We'll support you ever more" when he sang along it sounded like "Eeka peeka pukka po" so in the 1970's the Talbot support adopted his rendition. It's now the best known song in the Scottish non league scene and has now become the club anthem.

Best known song in scottish non league , been watching scottish non league since early 80s never ever ever heard of it until you just mentioned it.

21 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Best known song in scottish non league , been watching scottish non league since early 80s never ever ever heard of it until you just mentioned it.

When you say you've watched since 80s depends if you've been to many of the cup finals Talbot have been in you'd have heard it sang then.

Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow are awash with Junior clubs but any reason why Edinburgh isn't apart from Edinburgh United and latterly Craigroyston. I know they have the East of Scotland League but any reason why the clubs in that weren't originally part of the Juniors?

I am guessing lot of Junior teams sprung up from working class areas / suburbs of Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee while working class areas of Edinburgh went to watch Hearts and Hibs mostly and the non league teams weren't Junior, were 'senior': Spartans, Edinburgh City, Lothian Thistle, Leith Athletic, Craigroyston, Tynecastle..etc

I can't think of any other song that's as recognisable as being specific to a junior club.

1 hour ago, Franky Frankopolous said:

Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow are awash with Junior clubs but any reason why Edinburgh isn't apart from Edinburgh United and latterly Craigroyston. I know they have the East of Scotland League but any reason why the clubs in that weren't originally part of the Juniors?

It’s an interesting question. Certainly in the 1880’s and 1890’s there were plenty of Junior clubs within the Edinburgh City boundary. However, they gradually died out over time. Before the Great War Granton Oakvale were a strong team. Many clubs seemed to go defunct in the 1920’s. Niddrie Thistle and Edina had brief lives in the 1930’s. Probably the last Junior club founded in the 1880’s/1890’s boom that survived the longest (until 1930) was Edinburgh Emmet. Since then Edinburgh United had one season (1955/56),  Edinburgh City came down from the Seniors for a few years (1949-1955) and Spartans ran a Junior team for a few years up until recently.  The current Edinburgh United have been in existence since 1985.

2 hours ago, renfrewfc said:

This is a plaque which I think was recently unveiled at the golf club in Kilbirnie by the local Burns Club

IMG_1543.JPG

The horse Burns bought he described as a blastie which in those days was a term for a Beastie...a shriveled dwarf...Burns was not very happy with his purchase.

Ladeside take the Blasties from the local ironworks , there were at one time 13 working blast furnace's and folk that worked on them were known as the Blasties.

40 minutes ago, bluedragon said:

It’s an interesting question. Certainly in the 1880’s and 1890’s there were plenty of Junior clubs within the Edinburgh City boundary. However, they gradually died out over time. Before the Great War Granton Oakvale were a strong team. Many clubs seemed to go defunct in the 1920’s. Niddrie Thistle and Edina had brief lives in the 1930’s. Probably the last Junior club founded in the 1880’s/1890’s boom that survived the longest (until 1930) was Edinburgh Emmet. Since then Edinburgh United had one season (1955/56),  Edinburgh City came down from the Seniors for a few years (1949-1955) and Spartans ran a Junior team for a few years up until recently.  The current Edinburgh United have been in existence since 1985.

Think it was 1930 the East of Scotland League was formed so I suppose there was an alternative for non league sides to join which they did and in general the non leaguers in the City tended to go down that route as you pointed out there was a 30 year gab between Edinburgh City and Edinburgh Utd when there was no junior side and a further 31 before Craigroyston joined them.

5 hours ago, Franky Frankopolous said:

Add in Paisley in the non Junior scene

10 hours ago, A.M said:

Eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka
eeka peeka
eeka peeka pukka po!

Talbot had a deaf and dumb supporter who used to join in the terrace sing songs and his favourite was "We'll support you ever more" when he sang along it sounded like "Eeka peeka pukka po" so in the 1970's the Talbot support adopted his rendition. It's now the best known song in the Scottish non league scene and has now become the club anthem.

I hoped that there would be a good story behind it, but that's about 400 times better than I was expecting! One of those great wee quirks that makes a club unique. I was surprised at someone saying they've never heard it, I've certainly heard it at Junior cup finals between Rose and Talbot, and at the recent semi final. 

While I'm here, why are Talbot called Talbot?

6 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

In the East we have Bonnyrigg Rose and Linlithgow Rose, and Bonnyrigg are the significantly bigger of the two clubs.

If you weren't a Bo'nesser I might have believed that.

I've been to Bonnyrigg's ground and they don't seem like a significantly bigger club than Linlithgow Rose, but not knowing the history I didn't know if they were bigger in the past or whatever. So is it genuine, irony, something to tease Linlithgow Rose fans or what?

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I hoped that there would be a good story behind it, but that's about 400 times better than I was expecting! One of those great wee quirks that makes a club unique. I was surprised at someone saying they've never heard it, I've certainly heard it at Junior cup finals between Rose and Talbot, and at the recent semi final. 

While I'm here, why are Talbot called Talbot?

Our ground Beechwood park was gifted to us by lord Talbot de malahide from where comes the name Auchinleck Talbot.

Best known song my arse mate. Talbot fans sing at cup final and that's it. Hear f**k all from them rest of the season. There's about 4 clubs that sing songs regularly. There not one of them.

15 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If you weren't a Bo'nesser I might have believed that.

I've been to Bonnyrigg's ground and they don't seem like a significantly bigger club than Linlithgow Rose, but not knowing the history I didn't know if they were bigger in the past or whatever. So is it genuine, irony, something to tease Linlithgow Rose fans or what?

In terms of trophys won during their entire existance Linlithgow are miles ahead of Bonnyrigg. Auchinleck over 100, only fairly recently overtook Ashfield who were at one time the leaders. Mind you many of them were what we would now term minor cups, e.g. Glasgow North Eastern cup & Glasgow Charity cup, eleven times for each.

Similarly Auchinleck have 14 wins in Ayrshire cup & 10 in Ayrshire League cup. Funnily enough they never did win the Ayrshire Consolation cup, probably too busy winning real cups. Figures updated to 2012 so may not be totally accurate.

Ref. The Winners by Bernard Stocks, fourth Edition 

Archived