Good Scottish bands

Miguel Sanchez

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'm lucky enough to have a ticket to see them in their triumphant return to the Glen Pavilion a week on Friday.

I was just too young to be able to go and see them in their prime, but I'm more than a little excited about seeing them next week.

Worked with Bill Simpson for a wee while a couple of years back. Seen them a couple of times but like you, too young to have seen them in their prime.

I'm far too old and bald to be considered indie or twee (at least I hope so), but I still find it hard to see past the Pastels, BMX Bandits and Belle & Sebastian as Scotland's holy trinity of pop. With an honourable mention for the Thanes. The last gig I went to was King Creosote, who was pretty good, but I can't get half as excited about his recordings as some people clearly do.

I'm far too old and bald to be considered indie or twee (at least I hope so), but I still find it hard to see past the Pastels, BMX Bandits and Belle & Sebastian as Scotland's holy trinity of pop. With an honourable mention for the Thanes. The last gig I went to was King Creosote, who was pretty good, but I can't get half as excited about his recordings as some people clearly do.

"Serious Drugs" by BMX Bandits is great but funnily enough it's the only song I know of them that Kermit doesn't sing on.

20 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

"Serious Drugs" by BMX Bandits is great but funnily enough it's the only song I know of them that Kermit doesn't sing on.

Kermit, LOL. He's not perhaps the world's most technically gifted singer, to say the least, but he's part of their charm for me. Serious Drugs is one of my favourites though.

On 6/20/2017 at 17:06, Bert Raccoon said:

1990s. Used to absolutely love this band but they just suddenly disappeared.

I really liked 1990s as well, 2 really good pop rock records with some interesting lyrics

Kudos for squeezing FTP & FTQ into a bouncey little pop song.

Other Scottish bands I like-

Idlewild

King Creosote

Biffy Clyro

Twin Atlantic

Honeyblood

The Hazey Janes

The Jesus And Mary Chain

The Vaselines

We Were Promised Jetpacks

Frightened Rabbit

40 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

Doll by Doll /Jackie Leven,, The Primevals, The Valves!!

Jackie Leven was the greatest songwriter Scotland has ever produced, and it isn't even close. The only trouble with his records is that some of the production has dated terribly. Lyrically he's up there with the best of them. 

SAHB

The Beat Poets (giving my age away here)

Nazareth

Orange Juice (Postcard Record days)

Josef K (same)

The Scars

IBG (Glasgow/Clydebank 4-piece)

The Skids

Esperanza

Big Country

From the 80's. The Straightmen. Drew Robertson on vocals, his brother Alex on bass. Dougie Roberson (no relation) on Sax. Robert Watson on Drums. And Gary ( can't remember his surname) on guitar. Drew is still doing his thing in the Piper bar George Sq on a Saturday afternoon

Why has no-one mentioned Hawick's finest......Scotia?

Then there is Dr Robert of Haddington and The Blow Monkeys

Dumbarton's very own David Byrne  of Talking Heads

Other bands and artists not mentioned who have had commercial success....  Calvin Harris, Paulo Nutini,  AC/DC, cocteau Twins, Pilot, Bay City Rollers, Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Proclaimers, Simple Minds, Amy McDonald , Donovan, The Twilight Sad and Wet Wet Wet

Edited by McSpreader