League 1 - 2017/18

Early early days but squads are starting to take shape, pre seasons are starting and the fixtures are out next week, and it's only a bit of fun anyway.

League Prediction -

1. Raith Rovers
2. Ayr United
3. Stranraer
4. Airdrie
5. Alloa
6. Arbroath
7. East Fife
8. Queens Park
9. Albion Rovers
10. Forfar

Raith look very very strong, Barr/Buchanan and Spence at this level on paper sounds pretty frightening.

Ayr won't be too far off, Moffat guaranteed to score in both games at Gayfield.

Stranraer for me look like they've done some great business, the book keeper down there is a genius.

Airdrie are there for me because they're FT and they've still got Andy Ryan...

I think it'll be quite close between ourselves/Alloa and East Fife to be honest. Alloa dropped off quite a bit from last season I think and the Fifers look steady.

Queens Park only there because I've not seen much news come from them and all the players who did seem to stand out for them when we last shared a division seem to have left.

Albion, although they've made what seems like 3 good good signings I've heard they're skint.

Forfar fans hate Bollan and the seasons not even started, bit of drama surrounding the chairman too and their best players have all left (two best to us incase nobody had heard [emoji6] ).

Other than that the away days I'm looking forward to the most is Ayr, Stranraer and a return to Kirkcaldy on the train. Fond memories of Steven Doris equalising in the 91st minute, must've been about 8 years ago now....

Shitest away day is clearly Methil, Cowdenbeath without the train station and pubs.

Biggest crowd to be 3453 when Raith face East Fife in March. Top goal scorer Liam Buchanan. Bollan sacked by November.

For us I'd hope to see us push for the playoffs. Good spine with a good keeper, Tam O'Brien/Ricky Little/Hammy/Ryan McCord/Bobby Linn/Danny Denholm and Doris should imo see us safe from being in any other at the bottom.

What's everyone else's thoughts on how this year will pan out overall and for their club and what are you personally looking forward to..?

Also, East Fife fans to ensure no Raith supporter is left on here come Christmas. Looking at you Tazz.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine that like many Rovers fans, I know very little of the teams in this league other than that on their day any team can win. 

Last season we got a thumping off Forfar in the Challenge Cup, Alloa in the league cup and were relegated by a Brechin team in the playoffs where a lot of people on here didn't give them much hope on here beforehand. 

Regarding ourselves, it's a completely new management team who will need to hit the ground running. There'll be a lot of pressure riding on Smith to get this right first time. For a team who've just had a pretty brutal season, we've kept quite a lot of players. So far, we've retained Cuthbert, Benedictus, Callachan, Matthews, Davidson, Barr, Vaughan and Court, with Jason Thomson and Scott Robertson scheduled to sign new deals when they're back from holidays. All of these players (apart from Barr and Court) helped us get to the promotion playoffs of the Championship under Ray McKinnon. Sadly, we lost a lot of creative players at the end of the season, and replaced them with dross like an immobile Skacel, loanees from Rangers who didn't give a f**k (the talented Ryan Hardie aside) and Chris Johnston. 

In addition to this we've taken two of the leagues top goal scorers in Spence and Buchanan. If we can keep them fit, they'd provide a good partnership which has worked before. We'll supplement this with a few of our u20s team (Ryan Stevenson - not the one who played in goals, but a young midfielder we have, and David McKay among others) who won the development league, with further signings in the pipeline. I've heard a few rumours about players we might potentially sign and all of them would be very positive additions. I don't think this league will be easy by any stretch of imagination, but I'm still confident that we've got the experience to go on and win it. 

The only team who aren't really an unknown quantity for us are Ayr. They've retained a lot of their squad from last season, and free'd up a space by getting rid of Harkins who was a passenger who kept getting game time. Geggan and Moffat are good signings at this level but overall I'm not convinced. Moving full time should have a big influence for them, but I'm not sure how quickly they'll reap the rewards. I'd imagine players like Forrest will thrive going full time. 

For my predictions I'll go with: 

1. Raith
  2. Ayr
  3. Airdrie
  4. Alloa
  5. Albion Rovers
  6. Stranraer
  7. East Fife
  8. Forfar
  9. Queens' Park
  10. Arbroath

A lot of 5 through to 10 in this was down to knowledge of squads, and who has lost key players or members of staff, and as ever a bit of guesswork.  Airdrie have lost Iain Russell and are having a bit of a tricky time with not much news coming through for them. If they keep Ryan and tighten up their defence from last season they'll do well. Alloa have lost an important player in Spence, but still have a lot of good players throughout their team. Albion Rovers have made a few solid additions in the likes of Trouten and Marr for this level. It's a bit of a mixed bag for the remaining teams. 

Looking forward to ticking off Cliftonhill, Stair Park and Gayfield off the list of grounds I've not been to. A repeat of our day in the sun at Hampden back from 2009/10 season would also be nice.  I'm also hoping that we don't lose to East Fife to continue that run. 

No idea what the f**k is going to happen.

Bulk of a squad who finished 20 points clear in the Championship playoffs, then had the fucking disaster last season. Anyones guess.

We are in the strange situation of having been relegated.... Yet vastly improved our striking options. More confident than I was in May, but that will change.

I really can't see Airdrie finishing in the top 4, full-time or not. Raith have the strongest squad imo, Buchanan, Spence and Vaughan is just scenes. Cuthbert (assuming he's fit) will probably be the best 'keeper too. Ayr have a solid spine, Alloa will be decent and the battle for 4th will be pretty tight. 

C. Raith Rovers

-----------------------------

2. Ayr United

3. Alloa Athletic

4. East Fife

-----------------------------

5. Stranraer

6. Arbroath

7. Airdrieonians

8. Queen's Park

----------------------------

9. Albion Rovers

----------------------------

R. Forfar Athletic

I have no idea as we appear to announce little about our squad apart from Russell retiring. If we (must) keep Andy Ryan and tighten the defence it will be a top four spot but as  the other sides alter shapes/squad I have not a clue- I do think Spence and Buchanan might tilt it to Raith.  Still waiting to see if both radio pundits are still in charge so ready to moan from day 1.

Given the signings and the players we have kept, we should be confident going into this season. But, it's the rovers and anything can happen. I've always argued that the championship is the toughest league in scotland, but this will be no easy task getting out of the division. There are teams in this league that are as capable as each other. Don't think we will get a clearer picture until we are a few months in and we have seen how teams are performing. Reading through a few of the teams thread most fans, seem confident of doing well, so i doubt come xmas there will be a team cut adrift, and a team romping it.
Was gutted when we were relegated and was so glad the nightmare was over, but now i'm starting to look forward to the challenge of next season.

Stranraer - because they have made good signings and have improved squad than the one under Brian Reid.

Raith - They do have two proflic goalscorers of .....last season!!

Ayr - Resigned most of last season pool of players plus two ex players signed.

Alloa - Last season play off runners up.

East Fife - finished fifth under smith, no comment on where! #Early2Predict

Arbroath - did nick the title on last day of the last campaign in division below but do they have the firepower?

Albion Rovers - Change of manager and summer clear out.

Queens Park - Will surprise everyone like they do home/away on paper. Never write them off...

Airdrie - Not a happy summer camp if your an airdrie fan all the uncertainty. Will they keep Ryan? Who will lead the team out?

Forfar - having gained the promotion from the division below and the uncertainty at the club I'm hearing and players jumping ship in Angus and Bollan not getting his dream job at a Fife club is the relegation on the cards....or is there still fight in the loons.

All the answers on a postcard really I choosed the busy club to the less since we're in month of June?

43 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

12 players signed for us so far too early to make predictions! Ayr and Raith will rightly start as favs for title though.

I make it that we have 13 signed players with Tony Wallace invited back for pre-season training.Still need 5 to 6 players principally goalkeeper and right full back.

Agree that Raith in particular are favourites.Having said that , there is a big big difference between being crowned champions and finishing second.

Archived