How is your team shaping up?

New season not far away so how's your team shaping up? Have they put right the reasons why you weren't promoted or the reasons why you flirted with tenth place or why you were relegated?

As I see it Clyde have made good steps with a new gaffer and new signings including the goalie so should compete at the right end. Annan have a new gaffer new to management but his expertise on the field will make a difference but they might struggle to re-build again - I was wrong last year mind. Stenny just relegated and might struggle again as have some (but not all) other sides relegated from L1 - signed Chris Smith as goalie but he'll need a solid line in front of him. Cowden have to re-build or they will struggle again and L2 will be just as competitive if not more so. Stirling I thought would do better last year and have to improve - but will they? Elgin have Shane Sutherland back and he'll make a big difference but will he slot back as before? If he does they will be a threat at the top but if he doesn't they won't. Peterhead I think will do well so long as McAllister is there. They were apparently awful last year and rallied too late. I think they will hit the ground running this time and will be the ones to beat. Berwick - well fans, will John Coughlin be the man to lead a revival, is he still there, will it be squeaky bum time? Edin City got great support for survival by some fans outside L2 last season but it's different now as they are no longer the new boys. It could go either way for them but I don't see them challenging at the top end. That leaves my team The Mo. They have re-signed about 12 of last year's squad plus other new signings but still look to need a goalscorer who can make all the difference. Beyond that I dare not make a prediction.

So what do you think  ?

It's that difficult second album time...

We've kept some key individuals but I don't know about the rest. Personally I'm hoping the howling wind that whistles off the Forth and into the Council Facility at Ainslie Park will give us home advantage next season.

2 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

Peterhead I think will do well so long as McAllister is there. They were apparently awful last year and rallied too late. I think they will hit the ground running this time and will be the ones to beat.

33 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Peterhead wlll piss it.

Not too sure about this. We were awful last season but never rallied at all culminating in an embarassingly bad deafeat to an average Forfar side.

Only three players were still under contract, Jordan Brown has signed  again and we've added Gibson & Robertson giving us a total of six players confirmed so far. It might be the case that we have two goalkeeping coaches and no goalkeepers.

So we have to get virtually a new squad, get them to  blend as a team (one of the big failings from last season) and there is still the unanswered question of how much of last season's disaster was down to the players and how much was down to McInally. Looks like the board are backing McInally having got rid of most of the players and I would love if we could get back up to League 1 but I don't think it's going to be that straightforward.

Robertson, Gibson and McAllister will be three of the best players in this league by some distance.

I expect Peterhead to keep signing players of this ilk as they throw the cash at it again. Even McInally can't fail with the quality that will be at his disposal.

John Sheran's Peterhead had some great indivduals but were well down the League Two table when he was sacked.

Teams of limited indivduals are better than good indivduals in very limited teams at this level. McInally is a busted flush and until he goes nothing much will change for Peterhead- a mid / lower-mid table finish if they carry on with the same management.

Early days though.

Teams of limited indivduals are better than good indivduals in very limited teams at this level. McInally is a busted flush and until he goes nothing much will change for Peterhead- a mid / lower-mid table finish if they carry on with the same management.

I agree with your point on a strong team unit being more effective than talented individuals but also agree with the above poster that Peterhead have 3 excellent players which is a very good start. Can't see them really struggling unless a couple of those boys get injured.

Montrose could be a real dark horse this season I think. Stenny and Stirling also done some good early business. Elgin seem to have signed up most of their good players from this season but have yet to add much else.

I expect Annan, Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Edinburgh to struggle but plenty of time for them to do some business yet.

As for us, hard to predict with the current squad, need more additions. Think we will struggle to compete with the top sides but will need to wait and see.

Things not looking too bad at the moment, just need to get about 4-6 players in in certain positions like right back, centre back, winger, maybe midfield to bring the squad up to maybe 20 for the coming season.

Yeah, would agree with Rhliston on Stirling. I think the players that were retained played well under Dave Mackay and were our better players when we went on that unbelievable run and nearly made the Play Offs. The only player that has left that will be a loss is Chris Smith, but MacKay has made the decision to go with our young Goalkeeper (Cammy Binnie) and our support have no issue with that as it's obvious that we have a young talented Goalkeeper in our squad, that could go the same way as Cowdenbeath's Jamie Sneddon.

Managing to retain Andy Little could be a master stroke and it will be interesting to see how Liam Caddis does with a proper pre-season and played in his proper position.

With regards to the signings, there have only been 2 (Stuart Noble from Peterhead and Peter McDonald from Clyde) but I think both are good additions on paper. Although he apparently had a stinker last season, Noble has proven to be more than capable in both League 1 & 2 and talking of stinking, McDonald scored for fun in a Clyde team that was just that last year, if we can get "the runners" right about him then he'll be an asset.

I'm not making predictions this year (all 10 teams will fancy making the Play Offs come kick off) but I'm happy with the business Mackay has done so far and our team is shaping up to look ok.

8 hours ago, rhliston said:

Things not looking too bad at the moment, just need to get about 4-6 players in in certain positions like right back, centre back, winger, maybe midfield to bring the squad up to maybe 20 for the coming season.

The manager has consistently said he's looking for a maximum first team squad of 18. He's looking to add a keeper, right back and winger to what we have. Whether there may be loans or under 20's added to that, we'll have to wait and see.

Think BB Bino has summed things up nicely.

4 hours ago, gmca said:

The manager has consistently said he's looking for a maximum first team squad of 18. He's looking to add a keeper, right back and winger to what we have. Whether there may be loans or under 20's added to that, we'll have to wait and see.

Think BB Bino has summed things up nicely.

Still think 18 is a bit on the low side for a squad this season, I would expect maybe some loan players coming in, or one or two of the under 20`s to be include on the bench. Would not mind to have back Calum Morrison on loan from Hearts next season, felt he came on to a good game in the latter part of last season. 

Archived