Players you used to hate

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

He once told me his favourite moment in his career was scoring a hattrick against Dumbarton. It's always annoyed me as he's actually a lovely guy, but he definitely hates Dumbarton, probably because the dregs of the town pish all over his pub every week.

The hat-trick was in our 5-3 defeat to Airdrie at Boghead in 1973. He had broken John Cushley's nose in our League Cup sectional match at Boghead earlier that season and I have a feeling that he also "did" Cush in the 5-3 game too. Still didn't save Airdrie from finishing bottom of the league that season. I think I'm right in saying that he also scored Third Lanark's final goal in their last ever game, which also happened to be at Boghead, a game we won 5-1 on a Friday night in 1967. I was at that one too.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

The hat-trick was in our 5-3 defeat to Airdrie at Boghead in 1973. He had broken John Cushley's nose in our League Cup sectional match at Boghead earlier that season and I have a feeling that he also "did" Cush in the 5-3 game too. Still didn't save Airdrie from finishing bottom of the league that season. I think I'm right in saying that he also scored Third Lanark's final goal in their last ever game, which also happened to be at Boghead, a game we won 5-1 on a Friday night in 1967. I was at that one too.

1973?

Clyde v Airdrie 2-2

10,000 turned up.

25 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

You are correct, he's mentioned just about every goal he scored against Dumbarton. I'm too young to have seen any of these games but Busby seems like one you hate to play against but would love on your side.

Scott Wilson would blame anyone else but himself too. Run out to the touch line, miss a tackle then go mental at the full back. 
Most of the overpaid pars players who chucked in the towel for Kenny because they thought his methods were wrong needed to take a good look at themselves. Yes he wasn't perfect but that's no excuse. Our team improved once they moved on as much as Kenny going and Kenny has proven himself again. I didn't hate them but resented players getting £1500-£2000 a week in the championship ousting a manager because they were arrogant lazy c***s.

Wilson got a very easy ride. Would always blame a younger player or Bamba for his mistakes.

Alan Jenkins (Stranraer, Gretna) always seemed to be the villain against QoS, wind-up merchant, but would have been happy if he'd played for us.

Iain Russell upsets fans of every club he plays against, even his former clubs, but a hero when he plays for you.

Dougie Imrie, for being a cocky wee b*****d in his younger days but probably more for the fact that he seemed to score against us.

Mark Kerr and John Baird for probably no rational reason other than the circumstances of them leaving QoS for Falkirk. Kerr was actually a big miss to be honest. 

Aaron Muirhead, (Falkirk) a Dumfries boy who apparently hates QoS for some reason and isn't slow to show it. There's nothing to say he has to actually like us but he seems to take it to a new level. (This probably doesn't come into the "used to hate" category as it's still ongoing)

Davie Cooper (Clydebank) ; Leaving the best 'til last. He used to rip the piss out of us every time we played. Took some stick from the sidelines but everyone had a grudging respect.   

I knew John Watson well when played for Dunfermline and he most definitely not a bad egg off the park.  He was a down to earth guy and someone who was able to laugh at himself into the bargain.

Wonder how you formed the "bad egg"  opinion?

Bilel Mohsni. Absolute dirty bas*ard on the pitch. I remember him punching our keeper at East End and getting away with it in a high tempered game resulting in a 1-1 draw. He got his comeuppance in that Motherwell Vs Rangers playoff which was pretty entertaining.

Jamie Adams at Ayr is another. Only really realised who he was in the season before last. He got some sort of hero status for nailing wee Josh Falkingham who is about the size of a borrower. Just a big dirty haddie.

Andy Rodgers. p***k of a man. Peterhead lost the plot during a game at East End getting three players sent off in the first half. He blamed Falkingham for getting them sent off although I'm sure he was only involved in two of the incidents and he was absolutely halved with the ball long gone. Rodgers came out on twitter that night having a go at Pars fans calling them mutants etc. We soon realised he was a Falkirk fan. Guys an absolute toerag but it created a bit of interest in the Peterhead games that season.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Alan Jenkins (Stranraer, Gretna) always seemed to be the villain against QoS, wind-up merchant, but would have been happy if he'd played for us.

Davie Cooper (Clydebank) ; Leaving the best 'til last. He used to rip the piss out of us every time we played. Took some stick from the sidelines but everyone had a grudging respect.   

The seethe of some of our fans who handed out endless stick to Jenkins but absolutely couldn`t take it back was fabulous.

Cooper was fantastic for Bankies against us. His display in a game where they won 4-1 is one of the best individual performances I`ve seen at Palmerston. Great talent.

The 2 from the season past was certainly Dobbie and Lyle. Both showed their true colours during the 1-1 game at Starks. Dobbie shhing the Rovers support for voicing their opinion on the ref's decision on awarding his goal, despite him knowing it should never have been given.

9 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

The 2 from the season past was certainly Dobbie and Lyle. Both showed their true colours during the 1-1 game at Starks. Dobbie shhing the Rovers support 

Fucking hell. What an utter, utter scumbag.  

Nick cusack .....a lumbering dirty cheating oaf

Where was this guy from because I used to play in a team with a boy Nick Cusack who was a good player from Paisley way and I'm wondering if this is maybe his dad you are referring to. Something in my mind is saying that his dad played professionally.

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm too young to have seen any of these games but Busby seems like one you hate to play against but would love on your side.

That's why I was glad he left Hearts and joined us - he'd be scoring for the good guys from then on. Memory may cheat a bit but he scored the goal (a cup replay winner for Hearts) which forced us to bin Denis Connaghan in goals and bring in Roy Baines. Met him at the "Stars of 79" night - genuinely nice guy.

Anyway, players hated for scoring goals or being aresholes in general - Barry Lavety, Mark Yardley, Steve Maskrey, Chic Charnley, Jimmy Bone, Owen Coyle, Iain Ferguson (the skunky one), Gerry Britton, John Watson, Ian McCall, Fat Mixu

Later forgiven all sins - Andy McLaren, Dougie Imrie

Most of the Airdrie team from the early 90s were on my hate list. John Martin, Jimmy Sandison, Alan Lawrence, Kenny Black, Peter Hetherston, Andy Smith etc.

Andy Smith signing for us in 1995 was akin to Mo Johnston's signing for Rangers on a much smaller scale with some Pars "fans" demanding that Bert Paton be sacked for such a signing.

I have seen Chic Charnley get mentioned a few times and rightly so. Dirty b*****d and the first player I ever witnessed getting booked in a penalty shootout. We were playing St. Mirren at EEP in the Skol Cup and Charnley walks up to take his kick with getting all manner of abuse from the Pars support and getting goaded by Andy Rhodes. Charnley comfortably dispatches his penalty and then blasts the ball off Rhodes on the rebound. That same Skol Cup run was notable for Jimmy Sandison inexplicably handling the ball in his own penalty area at Tynecastle with Airdrie 1-0 and comfortable but referee David Syme had the awareness and wherewithal to correctly award a spot kick converted by Derek McWilliams.

I also hated Eamonn Bannon for injuring Mark Smith once.

Archived