Mayweather vs. McGregor

BradHorse

Just now, Senor Bairn said:

Hope I'm being wooshed here. That's a bit of a broad statement to make.

A much smaller 40 year old had a harder punch.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, port-ton said:

McGregor landed the 2nd most punches on Mayweather in his boxing career, which for someone with a 0-0 boxing record at least has to be respected.

111 punches landed compared to Pacquaiao's 81

I think it also has to be taken into consideration that Mayweather was completely nonplussed about McGregor's punches and was walking towards him at all times and showing him no respect, whereas in other fights, he actually has a gameplan to avoid getting caught.

It's clutching at straws (Not necessarily by yourself) to say that's a credit to McGregor, when Mayweather completely abandoned his style of trying to not get hit rather opting to just walk him down at all times.

Come on, Floyd's a 40 year old retired boxer putting on a show.

Two years ago he was a 38 year old fighter fighting one of the best boxers of his generation.

You find me anyone else out there with a 0-0 record that could land 111 punches on the best of his generation while he's putting on a show.

Boxing fans have changed their tune from he wouldn't land a single punch. Snakes the lot of them.

Just now, port-ton said:

Two years ago he was a 38 year old fighter fighting one of the best boxers of his generation.

You find me anyone else out there with a 0-0 record that could land 111 punches on the best of his generation while he's putting on a show.

Boxing fans have changed their tune from he wouldn't land a single punch. Snakes the lot of them.

Look, it is quite apparent that it was only an exhinition bout for Mayweather.

I see Conor landed 30 more punches than Pacman and 6 less than Canelo. Folk loving that on Twitter. If this was a real fight Floyd wouldn't let Conor touch him at all.

I think you mean if it was a real fight mayweather would be sleeping within a minute after getting a shin to the cheek.

The way the best boxer makes a Mockery of mma is to not get hit, not to let him hit you over 100 times for a laugh.

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

It's also disingenuous to call them punches. He threw one effective punch (the uppercut at the start) all night. The rest barely made contact and done about as much damage as your average sparring session.

When you stay up for fights like this you want to see a fights go into the late rounds,when i watched Tyson he just finished boxers off in the first 2 rounds,mayweather took his time and gave us more rounds to watch mcgregor was done after 7 rounds mayweather gave us 2 more rounds and finished him off,fair play to mcgregor for stepping out his comfort zone
still think sugar ray was better but can't fault his record

Think it was more to do with McGregor not having a clue on how to defend himself in a boxing ring rather than Mayweather having a harder punch.

If McGregor had a harder punch then surely he would have hurt a much smaller 40 year old.

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

I think you mean if it was a real fight mayweather would be sleeping within a minute after getting a shin to the cheek.

The way the best boxer makes a Mockery of mma is to not get hit, not to let him hit you over 100 times for a laugh.

And yet he did the latter and still made a mockery of McGregor.

Think it was more to do with McGregor not having a clue on how to defend himself in a boxing ring rather than Mayweather having a harder punch.

Apart from not knowing how to punch or defend himself he was fine. 

3 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I think he told us all what he was upto when he mentioned the Pacman fight and dance partner.

Guess who'll be helping promote his next boxing bout.

I think it also has to be taken into consideration that Mayweather was completely nonplussed about McGregor's punches and was walking towards him at all times and showing him no respect, whereas in other fights, he actually has a gameplan to avoid getting caught.
It's clutching at straws (Not necessarily by yourself) to say that's a credit to McGregor, when Mayweather completely abandoned his style of trying to not get hit rather opting to just walk him down at all times.

I'm not saying that mayweather didn't control the whole fight even in the rounds he lost, but he's fighting a novice and to say he just let him hit him over 100 times is arrogant in the extreme and to say that it isn't an achievement worth respecting is crazy.

Until the 4th round McGregor had the power to knock him out before gassing and for those 4 rounds mayweather respected his power, but he still got hit more than he would have planned to.

Just now, port-ton said:

I'm not saying that mayweather didn't control the whole fight even in the rounds he lost, but he's fighting a novice and to say he just let him hit him over 100 times is arrogant in the extreme and to say that it isn't an achievement worth respecting is crazy.

Until the 4th round McGregor had the power to knock him out before gassing and for those 4 rounds mayweather respected his power, but he still got hit more than he would have planned to.

I think it'd be interesting to see how many times McGregor hit Mayweather in the first 2 rounds when he was actually showing some respect.

Archived