Mayweather vs. McGregor

BradHorse

4 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

Hatton is punch-drunk and at the bad end of a cocaine addiction. Which is quite sad, tbh.

He's maybe not wrong there but McGregor will land some shots in the early rounds.

Mayweather had zero issue with it being at 154lbs - because that meant the bigger gloves. He knows Conor's only chance is in the early rounds and Conor will have success then. 

Hatton would have destroyed Conor Mcgregor in a boxing ring. Literally would have left him in a broken heap. I'd be surprised if Conor lands one clean power shot in the opening rounds. Bookmark that if you want.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUFC90 said:

Hatton would have destroyed Conor Mcgregor in a boxing ring. Literally would have left him in a broken heap. I'd be surprised if Conor landed one clean power shot in the opening rounds. Bookmark that if you want.

Hatton would have destroyed Conor at boxing.

For almost that exact same reason he is punch drunk and his opinions these days aren't worth much of note. Boxing being so much more dangerous than MMA is an elephant in the room that will go unnoticed in the build up to this fight.

And in the spirit of all the charity bet stuff that goes on on here... I'm happy to donate £10 to a charity of your choice right now and post a screen shot, and if Conor lands a clean left in the first round you donate £40 to a charity of my choice? That's better odds than the bookies are offering.

3 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

For almost that exact same reason he is punch drunk and his opinions these days aren't worth much of note. Boxing being so much more dangerous than MMA is an elephant in the room that will go unnoticed in the build up to this fight.

And in the spirit of all the charity bet stuff that goes on on here... I'm happy to donate £10 to a charity of your choice right now and post a screen shot, and if Conor lands a clean left in the first round you donate £40 to a charity of my choice? That's better odds than the bookies are offering.

His opinions on boxing can't be disregarded. He knows more than both of us.

I'm not sure boxing is more dangerous. More injuries happen but a lot more people take part in boxing. It's a global sport with tons of fights every month. Also historical damage to boxers is a lot more prevalent because boxing is much older. MMA are toddlers in comparison.

I'd rather you just came back and said how wrong I was. I have a feeling you wont though. 

19 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

I have zero desire to ever explain to you how wrong you are or were or weren't. Offered you a fair bet and you refused. Fine. Will duly ignore your posts in future.

Gutted :lol::lol:

Mayweather had no issue with it being at 154lbs because it does nothing to change McGregor's chances in this fight. Giving leeway to McGregor is different to giving leeway to boxers who stand at least a slight outside chance of beating him.

4 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Mayweather had no issue with it being at 154lbs because it does nothing to change McGregor's chances in this fight. Giving leeway to McGregor is different to giving leeway to boxers who stand at least a slight outside chance of beating him.

At 154 you wear 10oz gloves. At 147 you wear 8oz gloves. I don't think it's at 154 because Floyd thinks "lol he sux".

Genuinely surprised anyone thinks McGregor can win this, I'd be stunned if he manages to land a clean punch. Mayweather will toy with him, let McGregor swing and tire himself out, and then just start countering once he feels like people have had their moneys worth. Best chance McGregor has is trying to goad Mayweather into attacking him and leaving himself open, but thats reliant on Mayweather being a fucking idiot for the first time in a decade, and McGregor being quicker than him.

So punch drunk he has become one of the few world champions to go on and become trainer of a world champion. He has forgotten more than most of us know about boxing and his opinions still hold water.

Genuinely surprised anyone thinks McGregor can win this, I'd be stunned if he manages to land a clean punch. Mayweather will toy with him, let McGregor swing and tire himself out, and then just start countering once he feels like people have had their moneys worth. Best chance McGregor has is trying to goad Mayweather into attacking him and leaving himself open, but thats reliant on Mayweather being a fucking idiot for the first time in a decade, and McGregor being quicker than him.

I genuinely think Mayweather could (and should) end this within the first or second round if he so chooses. I don't think he will though just for the showmanship and entertainment value. A part of me actually hopes he does finish it early doors just to make a mockery of this fight even going ahead, and just for the lolz of the obscene amount of money he'll make off all us PPV mugs and millions more worldwide for a couple of minutes of his time.

Folk saying if Mayweather doesn't win then there's something funny going on (i.e. the fight is fixed). Is Mayweather really going to go for his 50th win and intentionally f**k up his unblemished record against an "amateur" boxer, all for the sake of another £100M at the rematch? Is he f**k. 

Also, is it a prerequisite to be an utter w****r if you want to follow boxing? Some boxing fans on here seem incapable of rationally assessing things and just laugh in the face of an alternative opinion. 

Bradhorse - I'm not disagreeing with you at all but can you explain why you feel that boxing is far more dangerous than MMA?

Regarding Mayweather possibly dragging it out just to turn it into a spectacle, I just don't agree with that. The longer he has McGregor in the ring the more he increases the chances of being caught out by a "lucky" punch.

I don't think either fighter would want to tarnish their reputation by not fighting a real fight. I also am of the opinion that Mayweather would be running a risk (if their was some kind of cahoots between the camps to say let's just spar for the first 3 rounds then go into it for real) that McGregor just ignores this and/or uses it as his chance to land a big punch.

38 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Bradhorse - I'm not disagreeing with you at all but can you explain why you feel that boxing is far more dangerous than MMA?

My understanding is that the real dangerous element of both sports is head trauma. Broken bones and cuts are more prevalent in MMA but these are superficial in the sense that they will heal - the brain doesn't. 

At the first sign of a fighter going unconscious in MMA the fight is stopped. In boxing they have time to gather their bearings again and continue. The bigger gloves mean they can take more shots to the head as well. And the fights are longer.

Perhaps 'far' more dangerous was an exaggeration but I'm pretty sure boxing is the more dangerous sport.

My understanding is that the real dangerous element of both sports is head trauma. Broken bones and cuts are more prevalent in MMA but these are superficial in the sense that they will heal - the brain doesn't. 
At the first sign of a fighter going unconscious in MMA the fight is stopped. In boxing they have time to gather their bearings again and continue. The bigger gloves mean they can take more shots to the head as well. And the fights are longer.
Perhaps 'far' more dangerous was an exaggeration but I'm pretty sure boxing is the more dangerous sport.

Yeh that makes sense.

In sad but related news I see today that an ex-UFC fighter has died in Canada following a boxing bout.

Archived