Scottish Cup 2018-19 qualifying

HibeeJibee

Shortlees of Ayrshire join Tynecastle as another qualifier debutant after defeating Goldenhill 2-1 in today's Amateur Cup Final.

Bonnyrigg need 1pt to win East Juniors, being as they are 8pts ahead of Linlithgow (who have 3 games left to Bonnyrigg's 2) with a massively superior GD. They could secure it at Sauchie on Wednesday - or failing that on Saturday when they travel to Hill of Beath and Linlithgow host Carnoustie. Going by East Juniors website Linlithgow's last 2 games don't have dates.

Kilwinning's inferior GD leaves the West Junior title a shoot out of Auchinleck and Beith (1pt behind but better GD)... win at Cumnock does Auchinleck, otherwise a defeat for Beith v Girvan. Going by West Juniors website the only top level game with a date is Kirkintolloch-Kilwinning next Saturday.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic essentially won East Juniors yesterday... as with Kelty 1yr ago they'll carry their slot with them into senior grade and EOS League.

Beith-Girvan and Cumnock-Auchinleck are Saturday 2nd June.

3 minutes ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

ARE ANY OF THESE UMPTEEN ex JUNIOR " NEW " EAST of SCOTLAND LEAGUE TEAMS GOING TO BE PLAYING in ROUND 1 of SCOTTISH CUP 2018 / 2019 ?

Only Bonnyrigg Rose as they won the East Superleague. Others will have to wait until next year after they either gain their SFA Licence, win the EoS, or the EoS/SoS Cup-Winners Shield.

With the West Juniors still to be completed the 17 current entrants from outwith SPFL, HL & LL are:

Hawick, Preston, Coldstream, Burntisland, Tynecastle*, Bonnyrigg* (all EOSL);

Threave, St Cuthbert, Newton Stewart, Wigtown & Bladnoch (all SOSL);

Golspie (NCL);

Banks o'Dee, Linlithgow, Girvan, Auchinleck* (all Juniors);

Glasgow Uni, Shortlees* (both Amateurs).

*mean qualifier

Beith won the West Junior Superleague after they thumped Girvan and Auchinleck could only draw at Cumnock.

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

I think there will be 6 Ayrshire clubs in the Scottish Cup next season. It must be a long time since that happened.

At a guess I'd say 1920s. Beith and Galston and look for a couple of qualifiers.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Beith and Galston would be in Qualifying cup as well in the 1920s?

Beith won the Qualifying Cup in 1928. Don't know whether 3rd Division clubs qualified automatically for the Scottish Cup or whether they would enter the Qualifying Cup for the brief time the division existed. I suspect if Ayrshire ever had 6 clubs in the Scottish it will be way back, when the likes of Mauchline, Hurlford, Annbank and Stevenston United were playing in it.

23 hours ago, RedEd said:

Beith won the Qualifying Cup in 1928. Don't know whether 3rd Division clubs qualified automatically for the Scottish Cup or whether they would enter the Qualifying Cup for the brief time the division existed. I suspect if Ayrshire ever had 6 clubs in the Scottish it will be way back, when the likes of Mauchline, Hurlford, Annbank and Stevenston United were playing in it.

Moorpark... were they an Ayrshire club? If so it happened in 1922-23 - when you had Kilmarnock, Ayr United, Beith, Galston, Hurlford and Moorpark. They would have come close in 1928-29 when those featured but without Hurlford.

If it's a No to Moorpark then it looks like 1894-95 - when you had Annbank, Ayr Parkhouse, Galston, Kilmarnock, Stevenston Thistle. If you classify the early 1890s when the cup was divided into 'preliminary and 'proper' stages then you've also got 5 in 1891-92 - when you had Annbank, Ayr, Kilmarnock, Kilmarnock Athletic, Monkcastle.

So it looks like it's either an outright first since league football began, or draws even with 1922-23. Even for the 3 all-in seasons during the 1950s, there was only ever Girvan in from Ayrshire.

Moorpark were from Renfrewshire.

Your lists for 1891/92 and 1894/95 only include 5 Ayrshire teams.  There were 5 in it as recently as 2016/17!  1890/91 was the last time where there were definitely 6+ teams in the tournament.  That year was an "all-in" tournament and had a whopping 19 teams from Ayrshire (Annbank, Ayr Athletic, Ayr FC, Ayr Parkhouse, Beith, Dalry, Hurlford, Irvine, Kilbirnie, Kilmarnock Athletic, Kilmarnock, Lanemark, Mauchline, Maybole, Monkcastle, Newmilns, Saltcoats Vics, Stevenston Thistle, Stewarton Cunninghame), and a 20th club, Lugar, scratched.  As far as I can see, that was the last time that the tournament wasn't restricted in terms of entrants.

So with the influx of ex Junior teams to the EOS I was trying to work out how many more teams could get a license without causing a problem for the current Scottish Cup format. 

To my surprise there is only room for three more teams to be licensed before you have a potential problem.

Preliminary Round 2 requires 12 teams with 6 winners. 

There is therefore a maximum of 24 qualifiers plus licensed non HL/LL teams that can be accommodated in Preliminary Round 1.

There are 13 licensed clubs (5 EOS inc Linlithgow, 4 SOS, Banks O’Dee, Girvan and Glasgow Uni). 

Then you have up to 8 unlicensed qualifiers possible (4 Juniors, EOS, SOS, Amateur Cup and SESCWS)

Assuming LTHV and Heriot Watt get licenses soon then only two more licensed clubs means either a third preliminary round needs added or something needs to change. 

Less Junior qualifiers is one option but is papering over the cracks really if a decent number of the new EOS clubs get licensed. A better long term idea might be to get League One clubs to enter at round 2. This would allow 26 ties instead of 16 at round 2, and 27 ties at round one, therefore allowing 24 preliminary round winners to qualify for Round 1 instead of 6 as now. That could cope with the 8 qualifiers and another 10-15 EOS clubs getting licensed without any problems and get rid of preliminary round one freeing a weekend for EOS and SOS.

I posted about this a couple of months ago - the easiest solution is to make every Championship club enter at Round 3 rather than having some of them enter at Round 4.  If you do that, then you free up tons of spots in the earlier rounds and don't even have to worry about preliminary rounds.

On 29/03/2018 at 13:17, craigkillie said:

What they should do is take away the spots for the top 4 Championship clubs in Round 4, and have a consistent policy of SPFL teams from the same league entering at the same time.  It doesn't make any sense, because the Championship sides with byes are typically without a game anyway.  You could also explore the current situation where the top 2 teams in the Highland League and Lowland League get byes to the 2nd Round - you could reduce that to just the champions, or even get rid of it, though that's probably not necessary right now.

That would free up quite a few spots for the earlier rounds.  Right now there are 16 teams automatically qualified for the 4th Round, which means only 32 teams can compete in the 3rd Round.  If that dropped to 12 teams, then you'd have 20 places up for grabs, and 40 teams competing in the 3rd Round (4 extra spaces plus the 4 Championship teams who have been bumped down).  If my calculations are correct, then that would lead to a scenario where there could be as many as 52 teams instead of 36 in the 1st Round.

R1 - 52 teams (16 Highland League, 14 Lowland League + 22 from Preliminary Round{s})
R2 - 40 teams (10 League Two, 2 Highland League, 2 Lowland League + 26 winners)
R3 - 40 teams (10 Championship, 10 League 1 + 20 winners)
R4 - 32 teams (12 Premiership + 20 winners)

Last season, there were only 15 teams in the Preliminary Rounds, but they were only playing for 6 spaces in the tournament proper.  This small tweak would mean that another 7 members could join without even needing to hold a Preliminary Round.   There would only need to be a negligible change in prize money to make this happen.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I posted about this a couple of months ago - the easiest solution is to make every Championship club enter at Round 3 rather than having some of them enter at Round 4.  If you do that, then you free up tons of spots in the earlier rounds and don't even have to worry about preliminary rounds.

Looking at that post I prefer your solution to my one!

Absolutely. It's pointless having some Championship clubs sitting idle since they come into the cup a round later.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

On 07/06/2018 at 21:41, Ginaro said:

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale not in the Alex Jack Cup draw for non-licence holders so looks like they've got their licence and will be in the PR1 draw.

The cut off for Scottish Cup entry was 31st March. They got their license after that date, so they won't enter this season's cup. They will enter next season.

Archived