East Premierleague 2017/18

Burnie_man

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLUB STATEMENT

After yesterday's game against Tranent, Jim Finlayson announced he was stepping down from his role as Manager of Kirriemuir Thistle with immediate effect. His backroom team of Donny Ross, Jimmy Glass, Kevin Scott and Kevin "Giggsy" Nicoll are also leaving the club.

The Committee would like to place on record their appreciation for the hard work Jim, Donny, Jimmy, Kevin and Giggsy have put in to the club for the last 2 and a half seasons, and the success they brought to the club including winning the McBookie.com North Division Title last season. We wish them well for the future, and they will always be welcome at Westview.

The Committee have begun the task of finding a new management team, and we will keep you updated with any developments.

St Andrews 5 Whitburn 1.

It's not often a 5-1 win can be described as a nail biter but this was.

Saints totally dominated the first half(albeit Whitburn missed a penalty) and looked comfortable at three up at half time. However within 5 minutes of the restart they had lost a goal and then a man and suddenly it was all Whitburn. They managed to miss an open goal before sub Falconer managed to score two late goals to finish the game off.

With most of the teams in the top half winning this was a good three points to keep us in amongst the early challengers.

Kirriemuir Thistle 0  Blackburn United 2

A fairly even first half saw Blackburn take the lead on the half hour mark via a looping Ewan Herriot shot. Kirrie had a number of chances with King pulling off one good save. Callum Rarity then saw a header from a free kick come back off the bar.

Second half the homesters pressed for an equaliser but like the first half, they failed to turn that possession into real chances with King pulling off one good stop.

Sucker punch in the last minute with Brian Ross taking a Gowans pass and finishing well.

A good three points, with the next three league games against Fauldhouse, Haddington and Musselburgh a tough run.

One word for the officials, honking.

So, the first quarter of the season gone, how has it gone for you?

For Blackburn I’m very satisfied with our start which is probably better than I had hoped for. A bit wobbly at the start with 5 games in 14 days to contend with which we weren’t used to, but four wins on the bounce, three in the league, has seen us start to settle into this league which is demanding every single week and the next three league games for us will be no different, Fauldhouse, Haddington and Musselburgh.

Really looking forward to Saturday, local derby at the league leaders and hopefully a decent crowd. Good to see us play at this level at last after a few near misses.

Blackburn were certainly unlucky to lose at home to the Saints a few weeks back so It's good to see them finding their feet. You're next three games will certainly give you an indication of your prospects for this season.

As for the Saints, given that they started the season as the rank outsiders with Scotbet and had almost the same squad that got us "relegated" last year we have to be delighted with our start. We were put in our place by Musselburgh and haven't managed a clean sheet yet but We'll happily take 16 points from 8 games and will now see if we can push on against Bathgate and Arniston.

No surprises for saying Musselburgh are the best team to play us so far but with 22 games to go there is plenty of time for sides below the top two to play their way into contention.

For Blackburn I’m very satisfied with our start which is probably better than I had hoped for. A bit wobbly at the start with 5 games in 14 days to contend with which we weren’t used to, but four wins on the bounce, three in the league, has seen us start to settle into this league which is demanding every single week and the next three league games for us will be no different, Fauldhouse, Haddington and Musselburgh.
Really looking forward to Saturday, local derby at the league leaders and hopefully a decent crowd. Good to see us play at this level at last after a few near misses.

That will be a test of strength and character for Blackburn, playing the top 3 teams one after another. You will get a clearer position of how your season may pan out after that!

Both Fauldhouse and ourselves have to be happy at the way the season is going. Having played St Andrews twice in a row at their ground, and winning both games comfortably, I was surprised that The Hoose dropped their only 2 points up there!

Similarly the way we started our season and seeing Bathgate's results, I thought we'd win that fixture but was also lost our only 2 points at that point.

Have seen Haddington twice, once in a friendly against Bonnyrigg and in the cup against Kinnoull. Haddington deservedly both games and I think are in a strong position to finish the season still in the top 3.

So, your toughest test so far awaits you on Saturday against your neighbours. All the best for that match.

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Well Burnie Man, I think both Blackburn and the Hoose should be well satisfied with both their starts to the season. It's good this year to have 3 local derby games to look forward to in the league.

I hope that we get a good crowd on Sat given it's also the old firm game (lunch time kick off) and the fans are treated to a good match. I'm looking forward to the game also as I think that potentially Blackburn will offer the toughest test yet this season for the Hoose......time will tell.

Roll on Sat ...go the Hoose!!

On 9/18/2017 at 16:28, Burnie_man said:

Dunbar appear to be settling down after a poor start mainly due to the changes in personnel.  In all we are 6 players down from last seasons team ,5 have left and 1 is still allegedly on holiday. To lose 6 regulars was a bit much in my opinion and the manager has signed 8 new players .  On Saturday we had a new back central 3 , one of whom is never a CH, but some players were missing  and we picked up our 9th point from 8 games . We have been well beaten by Musselburgh and Haddington. Tayport also took 3 points against us but it was our own fault, the same with the draw against Glenrothes . We won away at Whitburn and beat Dalkeith at home and drew with Arniston who were better than us. A draw at Bathgate and for me ,we appear to have steadied the ship but feel that we will be in a group of about 9 teams who will take points of each other and hopefully we can survive.  I thought we would have done better but given the amount of changes made , and the start we had, i'll settle for where we are at the moment. 

New keeper signed;    " The Club are delighted to announce the signing of goalkeeper Kyle Marley from East of Scotland side Kelty Hearts. Kyle made 34 appearances and recorded no fewer than 14 clean sheets in the Kelty side that won the East Region Super League title last season before the Central Park side attained an SFA license and moved to the East of Scotland league at the start of this season."

Delighted to announce the signing of Jamie 'Messi' McLeod tonight. Messi played for us away to Arniston on Saturday and turned in a motm performance scoring the first goal and winning a penalty in the second half. Pleased to fight off other top clubs for his signature.

Archived