East Premierleague 2017/18

Burnie_man

Dylan Honeyman on around 30 mins and Paul Quinn on 78 mins for Saints. Arniston's equaliser was on 88 mins.

Three games in four weeks against the bottom team in the division and we couldn't win one of them. 

Self inflicted wounds today as our keeper punches a corner into his own net in the last attack of the first half and then Arniston score a direct free kick with minutes left.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Musselburgh Athletic 2 Blackburn United 1

Musselburgh opened the scoring on around the 15 minute mark when a ball into the box wasn't cleared and Thomson stabbed home, Blackburn came back and Rarity hit the bar with a header from a corner. The homesters had a lot of first half possession without creating anything clear cut and Hutton was looking dangerous on the left for Blackburn, his balls into the box coming to nothing.

Second half Blackburn were enjoying more possession in the Musselburgh half and were pushing for an equaliser but were hit by a sucker punch about an hour in when Thomson shot through a forrest of legs with the ball finding the corner of the net with Marley appearing slow to react. Blackburn came back and 5 or so minutes later pulled one back through an Andy McQuillan penalty after Herriot had been brought down. Blackburn continued to push but couldn't find an equaliser and indeed Musselburgh could have had a third when Marley saved on the line from King when it seemed easier to score.

Despite missing captain Craig Young and Brian Ross, Blackburn done well and probably feel a bit aggrieved that they didn't claim a point their second half display merited.

Crowd around the 160/170 mark, and good to see Musselburgh give away a 4 page teamsheet letting fans know the line-ups.

Towsy affair at the Canniepairt yesterday. Was visiting pals and realized I wasn't going to make our game at Links Park so went along to this.

Whitburn "parted company" with a manager this week and they looked motivated and certainly not struggling in the first half, going in two goals to the good at half time. Tayport were poor, and on the receiving end of a fire and brimstone sermon from Ovenstone at halftime.

Second half, Tayport had lots of pressure shooting towards the hedge. Whitburn coped well until they lost a goal around the hour mark, a decent finish.

The equalizer with about 20 to go was another scrambled effort. After that both sides really went for it; Tayport hit the bar and Whitburn had a very good penalty shout denied ( for handball ).

Officials really were dreadful in the second half and a series of baffling decisions by the referee saw the temperature raised. Ongoing incompetence and a nightly foul suddenly descended into a 21-man brawl, ugly and unnecessary ( the kind of brawl that would result in several arrests if it took place on a high street). As it was Whitburn no 6 was dismissed for hitting someone, and Tayport's highly strung, foul mouthed keeper very lucky to stay on the park after running half the length of the pitch to get wired in.

Tayport cracked the bar late on but it would have been a rank injustice had one side left with nothing. Both teams contributed very well to a full blooded, entertaining draw.

The referee and his assistants nearly dissolved in a welter of acidic postscripts from the traveling support at full time. Not sure ludicrous accusations of taking a bung were necessary, but there we have it.

Dale Reid did well for Tayport whose midfield also grew in confidence as the game went on. Tayport players don't appear to line one another very much; lots of niggly abuse between the keeper and several of his own team. 

Whitburn's nippy and hard working no 11 also had a decent game and their defense did ok under huge pressure.

Whoever takes the job at Central Park can be confident of pushing a decent side up the table. As for Tayport, they may push on for promotion but should cut out inconsistencies.

Only slightly sad thing- crowd of barely 120-130 there; this included a decent traveling support of around 40 fans.

A game like this 15-20 years ago would have drawn a crowd in the higher hundreds, maybe pushing 4 figures if a high stakes game. The stay-always missed a great afternoons entertainment.

8 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Musselburgh Athletic 2 Blackburn United 1

Musselburgh opened the scoring on around the 15 minute mark when a ball into the box wasn't cleared and Thomson stabbed home, Blackburn came back and Rarity hit the bar with a header from a corner. The homesters had a lot of first half possession without creating anything clear cut and Hutton was looking dangerous on the left for Blackburn, his balls into the box coming to nothing.

Second half Blackburn were enjoying more possession in the Musselburgh half and were pushing for an equaliser but were hit by a sucker punch about an hour in when Thomson shot through a forrest of legs with the ball finding the corner of the net with Marley appearing slow to react. Blackburn came back and 5 or so minutes later pulled one back through an Andy McQuillan penalty after Herriot had been brought down. Blackburn continued to push but couldn't find an equaliser and indeed Musselburgh could have had a third when Marley saved on the line from King when it seemed easier to score.

Despite missing captain Craig Young and Brian Ross, Blackburn done well and probably feel a bit aggrieved that they didn't claim a point their second half display merited.

Crowd around the 160/170 mark, and good to see Musselburgh give away a 4 page teamsheet letting fans know the line-ups.

Mussy deserved the win but they where not as good as when they humped us. Blackburn are a good side and have given a good account of themselves since promotion. Hope we can improve and get up the league a bit,  when we start playing again. Thornton game was called off early Saturday and I dont know why the game wasnt switched to Dunbar, Did Dunbar ask .? Did Thornton not want to ,? Someone on another site says that it was a joke for the game to be called off, due to him saying there was not much rainfall, whats going on.?  Anyway Mussy march on and Haddington are right in there as well holding Fauldhouse to a draw. Bad result for Tranent though.

4 hours ago, imho said:

Mussy deserved the win but they where not as good as when they humped us. Blackburn are a good side and have given a good account of themselves since promotion. Hope we can improve and get up the league a bit,  when we start playing again. Thornton game was called off early Saturday and I dont know why the game wasnt switched to Dunbar, Did Dunbar ask .? Did Thornton not want to ,? Someone on another site says that it was a joke for the game to be called off, due to him saying there was not much rainfall, whats going on.?  Anyway Mussy march on and Haddington are right in there as well holding Fauldhouse to a draw. Bad result for Tranent though.

“And the truth shall set you free!l”  Quote from Liar Liar!  Well said that man! I am maybe biased but I can’t see where Blackburn were, either the better side, or should have got something from yesterday’s match. Thought Musselburgh dominated the first half, without being great in the penalty area. Yes Blackburn did hit the bar, but how many other clear chances did they have?

Second half was much closer between the two teams, but again, Musselburgh had more chances in front of goals.  Before being subbed, Conor Thomson should have had a hat trick and that was before Blackburn scored their penalty to make it 2-1. 

On a couple of other sites, there are also comments about Musselburgh taking the ball into the corners near the  end of the match, Don’t want to break bad news. to the Blackburn faithful, but this isnt a new phenomenon and other teams have been known to do the same! 

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

“And the truth shall set you free!l”  Quote from Liar Liar!  Well said that man! I am maybe biased but I can’t see where Blackburn were, either the better side, or should have got something from yesterday’s match. Thought Musselburgh dominated the first half, without being great in the penalty area. Yes Blackburn did hit the bar, but how many other clear chances did they have?

Second half was much closer between the two teams, but again, Musselburgh had more chances in front of goals.  Before being subbed, Conor Thomson should have had a hat trick and that was before Blackburn scored their penalty to make it 2-1. 

On a couple of other sites, there are also comments about Musselburgh taking the ball into the corners near the  end of the match, Don’t want to break bad news. to the Blackburn faithful, but this isnt a new phenomenon and other teams have been known to do the same! 

You seem awfy keen to tell people that Blackburn deserved nothing from the game, both on this thread and on the Musselburgh one. Calm yersel doon!  I post brief match summaries on here to give people an idea of how the game went from my perspective and I try to be as fair as I can although I will obviously be a bit biased. I normally wait 24 hours before I do it so I can chew over the game.

I thought we did enough second half to earn a point, I won’t repeat why as I said it in my summary. You disagree with my view, that’s cool as it’s all about opinions. I was happy with the performance given we were away to the league leaders missing two influential players. We came away empty handed, that’s fitba, and we move onto next week and see how we do against Glenrothes.  We’ve come a long way since easily losing at Olivebank 6 months ago in the Fife & Lothians.

I don’t write the match reports for the website but fill your boots, you might want to calm yerself first though as it’s through the eyes of another Blackburn fan   http://blackburnunited.homestead.com/MA_14thOCT17.html

14 hours ago, imho said:

We're due at Thornton in a couple of weeks, what was the problem, waterlogging?

46 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You seem awfy keen to tell people that Blackburn deserved nothing from the game, both on this thread and on the Musselburgh one. Calm yersel doon!  I post brief match summaries on here to give people an idea of how the game went from my perspective and I try to be as fair as I can although I will obviously be a bit biased. I normally wait 24 hours before I do it so I can chew over the game.

I thought we did enough second half to earn a point, I won’t repeat why as I said it in my summary. You disagree with my view, that’s cool as it’s all about opinions. I was happy with the performance given we were away to the league leaders missing two influential players. We came away empty handed, that’s fitba, and we move onto next week and see how we do against Glenrothes.  We’ve come a long way since easily losing at Olivebank 6 months ago in the Fife & Lothians.

I don’t write the match reports for the website but fill your boots, you might want to calm yerself first though as it’s through the eyes of another Blackburn fan   http://blackburnunited.homestead.com/MA_14thOCT17.html

Didn’t comment on your original post Burnie, as I agree that it is all about opinion If we all agree, then posts on P&B would be at a minimal. However, I do feel on the balance of play for the whole 90 minutes, and not just for a 45 minute period, Musselburgh deserved the win. If we were to give points just for how we got on in the first or second half, then points system would get complicated.

One of the points I raised was about comments on a Twitter  feed and the Blackburn fan on your team’s website. Both mention that Burgh ‘happy’ to run the ball near to the corner area at the end of the game. Tell me in a crucial  league/ cup match that Blackburn wouldn’t have done that in the same scenario? Even though I felt we deserved all 3 points, why would I want my team to do something stupid, that perhaps gave the ball away, and Blackburn go up the field and get an equaliser?

I come on P&B most weeks to try and promote my team prior to a match, telling who we play. Then after the game, I come back on and give my comments. I think I am fair and give a honest assessment of the match, even when Musselburgh get nothing for a match. I have said before when I thought we hadn’t played well and don’t always give praise to my team/ players.

Anybody that has played at Thornton knows that there is a particular area of the pitch which gets waterlogged. Despite repeated and costly attempts to resolve the issue including installing additional drains and using water pumps the problem of draining away the water still exists.

9 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Didn’t comment on your original post Burnie, as I agree that it is all about opinion If we all agree, then posts on P&B would be at a minimal. However, I do feel on the balance of play for the whole 90 minutes, and not just for a 45 minute period, Musselburgh deserved the win. If we were to give points just for how we got on in the first or second half, then points system would get complicated.

One of the points I raised was about comments on a Twitter  feed and the Blackburn fan on your team’s website. Both mention that Burgh ‘happy’ to run the ball near to the corner area at the end of the game. Tell me in a crucial  league/ cup match that Blackburn wouldn’t have done that in the same scenario? Even though I felt we deserved all 3 points, why would I want my team to do something stupid, that perhaps gave the ball away, and Blackburn go up the field and get an equaliser?

I come on P&B most weeks to try and promote my team prior to a match, telling who we play. Then after the game, I come back on and give my comments. I think I am fair and give a honest assessment of the match, even when Musselburgh get nothing for a match. I have said before when I thought we hadn’t played well and don’t always give praise to my team/ players.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the comments regarding running the ball into the corner were to illustrate the fact that Musselburgh wanted to kill the game and stop Blackburn continuing to press for an equaliser. It illustrates the fact that they weren't running away with the game. Again, nobody is claiming we don't do similar, we do and have done this season. That's what you do when you're hanging on to what you have.

We all have our opinions on a game and I have no problem with anyone thinking Musselburgh deserved the win, but I certainly wouldn't quote passages from "Liar Liar" regarding the truth, there is no truth, just opinion. 

Anyway I enjoyed my visit to Olivebank, first time there in many years and the place has been spruced up a lot since the last visit, a great place to watch fitba.

5 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

Anybody that has played at Thornton knows that there is a particular area of the pitch which gets waterlogged. Despite repeated and costly attempts to resolve the issue including installing additional drains and using water pumps the problem of draining away the water still exists.

We used to suffer similar at our old park, a difficult problem to solve without throwing a lot of money at it.

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that the comments regarding running the ball into the corner were to illustrate the fact that Musselburgh wanted to kill the game and stop Blackburn continuing to press for an equaliser. It illustrates the fact that they weren't running away with the game. Again, nobody is claiming we don't do similar, we do and have done this season. That's what you do when you're hanging on to what you have.

We all have our opinions on a game and I have no problem with anyone thinking Musselburgh deserved the win, but I certainly wouldn't quote passages from "Liar Liar" regarding the truth, there is no truth, just opinion. 

Anyway I enjoyed my visit to Olivebank, first time there in many years and the place has been spruced up a lot since the last visit, a great place to watch fitba.

The quotes from Liar Liar went meant to be a bit of fun Burnie, just like the film itself! Other comments are my opinion and said the way I felt about the match. 

Last year, Musselburgh either lost or drew a number of games, when we were in winning positions, and drawing so many of these matches, was the main reason for being relegated. We have learnt from that this season, and that is the main reason why we are doing so well this year.

21 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

We used to suffer similar at our old park, a difficult problem to solve without throwing a lot of money at it.

Hats off to you guys for getting your excellent set up. I passed by it last week and saw committee men working at the ground so I had a wee chat with them. Totally dedicated, well done.

37 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

Hats off to you guys for getting your excellent set up. I passed by it last week and saw committee men working at the ground so I had a wee chat with them. Totally dedicated, well done.

Thanks for the kind words.  Looking forward to a visit to Memorial Park (assuming weather or cup replays don't intervene) I think the last time I was there was about 10 years ago in a Fife & Lothians tie. You guys do a fantastic programme as well, a lot of clubs could learn from that.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

We're due at Thornton in a couple of weeks, what was the problem, waterlogging?

Allegedly it was flooded. On Facebook one of the guys at the club turned up and he says he was on the pitch and nothing wrong. It doesnt matter but if they know there is problems then why are arrangements not made like,   if its off,we will play at your park and when its called off,everyone knows that its been changed. I dont know if Dunbar asked for the switch but surely if its a common problem, someone from Thornton would have the courtesy and sense to re arrange the game. Its not the same going to Mussy.  

I was at Olivebank on Saturday too and I've read some of the above contributions with interest. Personally, I thought on the balance of play Musselburgh just about shaded it as they controlled possession for much of the game. However, possession isn't the whole story and Blackburn looked every bit as threatening as their hosts when in and around the eighteen yard box - which they were almost as often as Musselburgh, even given their more limited time in possession. Had they managed to equalise then it would have been a harsh observer indeed to suggest that they weren't worthy of a share of the spoils.  Pointing out that Musselburgh were content to hold the ball in the corners going into the closing moments isn't necessarily a criticism I'd suggest, but merely a means of pointing out that the Olivebank side were a little shaky at this point and feared some increasing pressure in the final quarter of the game might culminate in an equaliser. From the shouts of their goalkeeper, he certainly did! All that said, I'm not sure how Musselburgh managed not to score a third with a gilt edged chance late on, although there might have been a hint of offside about it anyway.

Musselburgh appear a very good side at this level and it's pretty self apparent why they sit at the top of this league, but Blackburn too seem a pretty decent outfit who gave a real good account of themselves which might not be getting recognised by some Musselburgh contributors. However, to be fair, everyone is there to watch and dissect their own teams performance first and foremost!!

If Blackburn were, as it seems, a couple of first choice players down on the afternoon then their ninety minutes, and particularly the second forty five, augurs well for them and for a top half finish - which surely would have been the best they could hope to aim for after being promoted only as runners-up to Dunbar in the South Division last season?

26 minutes ago, imho said:

Allegedly it was flooded. On Facebook one of the guys at the club turned up and he says he was on the pitch and nothing wrong. It doesnt matter but if they know there is problems then why are arrangements not made like,   if its off,we will play at your park and when its called off,everyone knows that its been changed. I dont know if Dunbar asked for the switch but surely if its a common problem, someone from Thornton would have the courtesy and sense to re arrange the game. Its not the same going to Mussy.  

Tell Dunbar to put a letter in to the league  to complain about the referee calling it off, and let us know what the reply is. Cheers

24 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

Tell Dunbar to put a letter in to the league  to complain about the referee calling it off, and let us know what the reply is. Cheers

Nothing to do with Dunbar . Im a supporter and asking why the game wasnt switched given the time it was called off.  Nobody but the person on facebook saying the park was okay to him,so dont get the wrong angle on this. I ask you was it discussed to change the game to Dunbar or not.?? Was it the match referee.? Nothing to do with the club and a fair question I thought.  

Archived