Premier League 2017-2018

On the Giggs thing, I still find it amazing that despite the endless amounts of evidence that shows there is no link between footballing ability and coaching ability (despite great ex-players being given way more opportunities than poorer players), there seems to be this expectation that great ex-players are entitled to top managerial jobs despite virtually no experience. Look at the names of the managers at the top of the Premier League just now - Guardiola, Mourinho, Pochettino, Conte, Wenger, Silva, Benitez - they range from top internationals to non-players. Footballing ability is irrelevant, the departing Everton manager is a good example of that.

What makes it worse is when it's a former player at that club and they are touted for the job because they 'know the club', like that has any relevance whatsoever. A completely redundant point.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

What makes it worse is when it's a former player at that club and they are touted for the job because they 'know the club', like that has any relevance whatsoever. A completely redundant point.

maybe Giggs included "in-depth knowledge of seedy sexual goings on in hotel rooms" on his applications for both the Leicester and Wales jobs on the basis that it'd be more relevant than any perceived managerial prowess ???

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Not if you consider the quality squad, especially when key injured players return. The new manager will be given money to bring in at least a couple of players in January. Then there is the new stadium. Everton is a big club that should be able to attract a top manager.

Everton are Europa League cannon fodder with no prospect of progressing much further up the English league. What they were in the 1980s is ancient history: they're not a big club now.  They have no  status in European football and so can't even offer a convincing rebuilding project like Liverpool could to Klopp. There are three bigger clubs in London alone, that all enjoy the  additional bonus of allowing their managers to not live in or near a complete and utter shitheap like Merseyside. The best managers with an interest in managing in the English leagues (Tuchel, Ancelotti) will bide their time until Wenger and Conte move on from their current clubs.

Didn’t realise he had been that bad for that long, maybe because the media criticism seems to be more prominent just now. I take it that is who van dijk was meant to replace in the summer?

Tbh it's not just Lovren, Van Dijk would walk into that Liverpool defense, replacing any one of them, except Robertson obviously, Robertson's a footballing God after all!!!

Tbh it's not just Lovren, Van Dijk would walk into that Liverpool defense, replacing any one of them, except Robertson obviously, Robertson's a footballing God after all!!!

Is he even getting a game? The 2nd best shout at a football match i ever heard at a football game was aimed at him. 1st half scotland v Gibraltar. And he wasn’t really making any attacking runs when he got the ball, and the shout from behind me was “robertson, run ya c**t”[emoji23]

9 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Is he even getting a game? The 2nd best shout at a football match i ever heard at a football game was aimed at him. 1st half scotland v Gibraltar. And he wasn’t really making any attacking runs when he got the ball, and the shout from behind me was “robertson, run ya c**t”emoji23.png

Had to be there, eh?

Archived