Premier League 2017-2018

22 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Still don't think they will be anywhere near the title as they are too negative . Lukaku only scored against poor sides and vanished in bigger names

He scored against Man City twice, Spurs and Arsenal 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, spacekid84 said:

He scored against Man City twice, Spurs and Arsenal 

last season, yeah - his record against top-six teams over the last few years is six goals (including those four) in something like 36 games - not quite so impressive...

Still don't think they will be anywhere near the title as they are too negative . Lukaku only scored against poor sides and vanished in bigger names

That's who they have to beat to improve though.

Jose always does well against the big teams.

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

last season, yeah - his record against top-six teams over the last few years is six goals (including those four) in something like 36 games - not quite so impressive...

You mean last season, the most current season when Everton were a much better team and he's developed further as a player as he matures? Yep lets ignore that.  Excluding last season then, do the two remaining goals he's scored against the top 6 clubs include the hat-trick he got for WBA against Man United in SAF's last game?

Looks like Lukaku is this season's Harry Kane. 

6 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

You mean last season, the most current season when Everton were a much better team and he's developed further as a player as he matures? Yep lets ignore that.  Excluding last season then, do the two remaining goals he's scored against the top 6 clubs include the hat-trick he got for WBA against Man United in SAF's last game?

Looks like Lukaku is this season's Harry Kane. 

that'll serve me right for using a half-read extract from the The Sun and assuming that it's accurate... :unsure:

I think Lukaku is a potentially title-winning signing for United. He's a flat track bully and United laboured against many mid-to-lower placed teams last season. You would expect Lukaku to bag 20+ and I think they'll go close this season even without any further additions.

If Spurs can keep last season's team together (with the exception of Walker), I think they'll be well placed again - starting to think it's a case of 'always the bridesmaid, never the bride' though.

There's increasing scope on a simmering unrest at Chelsea - I thought they would be certainties to sign Lukaku and I think Conte did too. I think it'll be interesting to see how the Costa incident impacts on team morale. He was/is a popular character in the dressing room and it certainly didn't seem like Conte handled it in the best way.

I don't think Guardiola has addressed the fact that his City team is built on sand and neither has Klopp. Lacazette should make a difference for Arsenal but it seems like he'll only be replacing the goals of Giroud who has been rumoured to be exit-bound - I suspect they'll be typical Arsenal again.

Will be interesting to see how Everton gel their new look team together, certainly spared no expense constructing it. If they can break into the top 6, it'll have been a successful season - suspect Arsenal and Liverpool will be the teams on their radar.

At the other end, Watford were one of the worst teams I saw last season and could count themselves very fortunate not to have finished in the bottom three; without Deeney, they were abysmal. I think Chalobah is a cracking bit of business especially if they've gotten him for as little as quoted in the media but they'll need more than that. Silva got a lot of plaudits at Hull, and they weren't entirely misplaced, but when the going got tough, his team bottled it.

With Burnley losing Keane and it looking likely that they'll also lose Gray, it might be a tough slog for them. If Swansea lose Sigurdsson, that could spell trouble for them too. Brighton will inevitably be in the mire as well.

Huddersfield will struggle badly, I expect. Still find it remarkable that a team with a negative goal difference won promotion. Not convinced that the players they've signed so far are suddenly going to give them an influx of attacking flair. Ince is a handy player at Championship level but got it all to prove in the Premier.

2 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

that'll serve me right for using a half-read extract from the The Sun and assuming that it's accurate... :unsure:

Ouch, yes! ;)  

40 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Listening to Talksport en route to work this morning... 

I used to make that mistake, and now feel considerably less dirty as a result of having knocked it on the head; no less well-informed about sport, either (assuming that everything you read on P&B is entirely true, which I'm happy to go along with for the time being ;))

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Listening to Talksport en route to work this morning. Seems big spending Man City have been reduced to making wee jingly radio ads to try sell season/match tickets this season.

Brazil is an embarrassment to Scottish football. He does nothing but promote the bigot brothers and I doubt he knows who the other 40 clubs are. He actually defended people being 90 minute bigots as it brought so much tot he Scottish game. Brazil and the planets thickest man, Micky Quinn, together is the under-class of radio broadcasting. Thank God there's Absolute Radio and FourExtra.

Anyway, City's ticket problems are well documented but they've done, in theory, what is a great idea and put tickets for every game for the season on sale. It should allow you to plan ahead with everything and sit back and relax. However the kick off times are listed as Saturday 3pm which obviously makes buying tickets in advance a non-starter.

22 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Danny Kelly is far too intelligent and considered  for that station too.

i'm sufficiently senile to remember Danny Baker & Kelly on the first incarnation of 606 - absolutely mandatory post-match listening on the way back home from some godforsaken shithole like Hednesford or - well - Doncaster; the absolute hilarity on the studio as they told the stories about a steaming, caravan-dwelling Dion Dublin with his Massive Cock and the Dundee United supporter with the giant plywood bow tie was the stuff of legend....

Archived