Premier League 2017-2018

On 7/2/2017 at 19:40, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe it's me being a Saints fan, but I'm never sure Pulis deserves the flack he gets. He'll never manager a title winning team, but I'm fairly confident he'll take West Brom into Europe in the next few seasons, which is a remarkable achievement

Same mate, think he does a good job. Same with Hughes at Stoke, and Allardyce when he was at West Ham. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I really hope it does and have said so multiple times to my EPL-team supporting mates. This is all supported on the idea that the TV deal continues to support clubs and continues to get bigger and bigger. I just get the feeling, which might be nonsense, that eventually the TV companies will see viewership drop or something that will make them want to stop paying this much. It would be hilarious to watch these clubs scramble around.

Why do you hope that? 

Why do you hope that? 

The amounts of money being banded about is grotesque, and I think it will take a financial implosion of some sort for it to end. I've always wanted football to have some kind of salary cap system (no idea how it'd be implemented) as I think it would make every league much better and a financial implosion is the only that might happen. Also were a Chelsea or a Utd to go financially tits up it would be interesting if my mates who've "supported them all their lives" would stay so loyal if the team went a la Leeds Utd.

Just now, Big Fifer said:

The amounts of money being banded about is grotesque, and I think it will take a financial implosion of some sort for it to end. I've always wanted football to have some kind of salary cap system (no idea how it'd be implemented) as I think it would make every league much better and a financial implosion is the only that might happen. Also were a Chelsea or a Utd to go financially tits up it would be interesting if my mates who've "supported them all their lives" would stay so loyal if the team went a la Leeds Utd.

It's inflated because they have so much income. If it does reduce it will be gradually. I don't see Sky going all ITV digital. I want to see the best on the telly and that generally comes at a price. I do think there should be a better distribution to other divisions though.

Maybe it's me being a Saints fan, but I'm never sure Pulis deserves the flack he gets. He'll never manager a title winning team, but I'm fairly confident he'll take West Brom into Europe in the next few seasons, which is a remarkable achievement

Unless West Brom somehow win a cup then they won't get into Europe. They've no chance through the league given the strength of the seven sides at the top.

Pulls is a brilliant t manager for a lower half side, but when you give him money he generally doesn't know what to do with it. Signing Rondon IIRC was down to a tip-off about his situation at Zenit; otherwise it's mostly been uninspiring dross at inflated prices hammered into an effective team. That's why Stoke decided to get rid of him although they haven't actually improved since.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Unless West Brom somehow win a cup then they won't get into Europe. They've no chance through the league given the strength of the seven sides at the top.

Pulls is a brilliant t manager for a lower half side, but when you give him money he generally doesn't know what to do with it. Signing Rondon IIRC was down to a tip-off about his situation at Zenit; otherwise it's mostly been uninspiring dross at inflated prices hammered into an effective team. That's why Stoke decided to get rid of him although they haven't actually improved since.

Not sure I agree with that. They weren't great last time out (finished 13th but still ended up a win away from 8th) but Hughes has taken them to 9th in the three other seasons (Pulis' highest was 11th), and they've played much better football.

Allardyce always gets lumped in with Pulis but he has shown you can have that dogged, direct defensive side but with a bit of flair. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being good at set pieces, and getting clean sheets, but I don't think it would hurt Pulis to try and be a bit more expansive, or bring through a young player or two. They went a run of 5 games without a goal last season, at a time when they were safe!

I'm going to change my initial prediction in this thread and say that Man Utd will win the league. Think Mourinho has done a great job in isolating the problem there when it seemed that their team was such an enormous clusterfuck with players bought in willy nilly without any sort of thought under Van Gaal. They drew 15 matches last season conceding only 29 goals and i just think Mourinho has now got it right and will turn most of those draws into scrappy 1-0 or 2-1 wins next season. Lukaku isn't the best player to have ever lived but he will fit right into Jose's system and will bag a good 30 goals this season and we will see a very unpretty league triumph by Utd IMO. 

Exactly, and they wonder why so many clubs look abroad in the hope of finding better players for less money.

A bit late to the party here but that won't last for long. England created their own inflated transfer fees and it won't be long until most top divisions follow. Best thing that can happen in that regard up here is one or two teams go "f**k it" and refuse to budge when English teams come calling. If they then hold out for a couple of million then other teams might have the balls to try it as well, therefore inflating our market as well.

Money is the worst thing about football so you either embrace it or get left behind. We are behind already so I hope a few teams take a risk holding out for the big money and creating our own mini stupid money market.

I can see Celtic attempting to hold out for 30M+ for Dembele. Is he worth it? No, but down there that's normal so they will probably get it.

Not one entertaining amongst them. Says it all really :lol:

I particularly like West Ham's desperate and cheap and Man City's rich and empty. Not sure about Palace being cool though.

Guest DAVIDB69
I'm going to change my initial prediction in this thread and say that Man Utd will win the league. Think Mourinho has done a great job in isolating the problem there when it seemed that their team was such an enormous clusterfuck with players bought in willy nilly without any sort of thought under Van Gaal. They drew 15 matches last season conceding only 29 goals and i just think Mourinho has now got it right and will turn most of those draws into scrappy 1-0 or 2-1 wins next season. Lukaku isn't the best player to have ever lived but he will fit right into Jose's system and will bag a good 30 goals this season and we will see a very unpretty league triumph by Utd IMO. 

Still don't think they will be anywhere near the title as they are too negative . Lukaku only scored against poor sides and vanished in bigger names

Archived