Premier League 2017-2018

The fixtures are out today, and West Ham start off with three away games.

Who will take this years crown?

How many times per game will it be called the greatest league in the world?

Is Martin Tyler an android?

An intriguing season awaits...

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV games for August and September are due out on July 10th. Expect Watford v Liverpool to be televised on the Saturday with a Champions a League qualifier to follow the midweek after.  

Man United V West Ham will be a Friday fixture I reckon. 

Forgot to mention previously, West Ham fans are currently without confirmation on when their first home game will be played. Have the international championships at the Athletic Stadium this summer, they want to have it back for "football" for their fourth fixture against Huddersfield, but by all accounts, Spurs on the 23rd will be their first home fixture. 

Top 4:

Chelsea

Spurs

Man Utd

Liverpool

I predict a stinker for Man City and Pep to get sacked.

Man Utd will be consistent in picking up points but absolutely dreadful to watch.

Huddersfield to have a wonder season and finish top half.

Sky Sports commentators will admit that it's not the greatest league in the world but it is in their career interests to big it up as much as possible:

Gary Neville to get sacked for racism as an outside punt.

• 2 weeks later...

For all the money Everton have spent, I don't really look at any of the new players and think "Wow". Klassen perhaps, but a lot of Dutch league players have struggled in the Premiership.

Keane had a good season last year, but £25 million?

3 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

For all the money Everton have spent, I don't really look at any of the new players and think "Wow". Klassen perhaps, but a lot of Dutch league players have struggled in the Premiership.

Keane had a good season last year, but £25 million?

Around the £25 million mark seems to be a common transfer fee at the moment for fairly standard players. 

Only a few years ago people couldn't believe that Manchester Utd paid £30 million for Berbatov, now that fee seems minimal in comparison to a lot of transfers. Frightening amount of cash being spent and it will only increase. 

When you consider wage inflation the transfer fees probably aren't actually more significant than before in terms of the overall cost of the deal. I think it makes good sense for them tbh - they need a younger centre-back and can afford financially and in terms of their league status to give Keane a chance. If he does well then Everton would secure a good centre-back entering the prime of his career; if he does very well then they could easily add another £15 million onto that price tag in a couple of years time. Everton still probably aren't good enough to credibly challenge for Champions League football, but signing capable and potentially high-value players is a sound way of closing the gap. Tottenham had to find, play and then sell the likes of Modric and Bale first to reinvest the profits into a genuinely strong squad that doesn't flop into the Europa League every other May. I think that Everton have actually done pretty good business so far, but are attracting flak because they've been the first club to get deals done and so the going transfer rates have been a point of discussion.

When West Brom or someone are spunking £12 million in Jay Rodriguez in August then we'll be looking at in terms of relative value to other deals.

Archived