Premier League 2017-2018

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think you can underestimate just how much of an influence Wenger has had on English football, and despite it being a bit of a shambles since the move to the Emirates, those first few years were just ridiculous.

One of the thing that made Sir Alex such an unbelievable manager was his ability to consistently turn over squads and morph them into champions, but Wenger was playing catch-up since the stadium move, then he was almost behind the times when they could actually compete. 

Recently, the likes of Cazorla (before he died), Ozil and Sanchez have been good signings, but you'd struggle to find many of that calibre for a while, and I don't think he's developed his style well enough. This season, he's tried a high press, but it didn't really look like he knew what he was doing, and he's also tried containment jobs, but his defence wasn't good enough. 

At the risk of repeating myself, how does Bould escape the defensive criticism that is aimed solely at Wenger? I've yet to see him on the touchline sorting out defensive problems. He just sits on his arse and leaves it to Wenger. 

44 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

wouldn't surprise me to see wenger turn up with shoe polish over his body, a shaved head and a jacket with the initials PV when they return for pre season

Jesus wept.  

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

At the risk of repeating myself, how does Bould escape the defensive criticism that is aimed solely at Wenger? I've yet to see him on the touchline sorting out defensive problems. He just sits on his arse and leaves it to Wenger. 

Sadly, like I've just done, pretty much all of the blame gets lumped on the guy at the top. 

51 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

wouldn't surprise me to see wenger turn up with shoe polish over his body, a shaved head and a jacket with the initials PV when they return for pre season

Haha yea that would b funny lol !

16 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Tuchel was supposedly a very awkward character to work with at Dormund and burnt a lot of bridges. There's a suggestion that he may not want to work alongside Sven Mislentat again.

Also, he's been very publicly linked with the PSG job.

It would be funny if Wenger's got the PSG job plus his final year's salary from Arsenal too. 

Arsenal fans already coming out with  scouse levels of hypocrisy. The past it, out of touch, old c**t that's ruining their club has suddenly become  St Arsene the Legend who deserves a magnificent send off. I expect 30k of them will have found the weather and traffic is now good enough for them to get to the final few home games.

11 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Arsenal fans already coming out with  scouse levels of hypocrisy. The past it, out of touch, old c**t that's ruining their club has suddenly become  St Arsene the Legend who deserves a magnificent send off. I expect 30k of them will have found the weather and traffic is now good enough for them to get to the final few home games.

He's a legend who should have left three or four years ago.  What Wenger did in the 90's and early 00's shouldn't be forgotten or overlooked because of the shite we are now used to seeing at Arsenal. 

16 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

what is scouse levels of hypocrisy?

13 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

He's a legend who should have left three or four years ago.  What Wenger did in the 90's and early 00's shouldn't be forgotten or overlooked because of the shite we are now used to seeing at Arsenal. 

Regressing in the two main tournaments for them does not mean it's shite. Arsenal are still more entertaining than many EPL teams.

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Regressing in the two main tournaments for them does not mean it's shite. Arsenal are still more entertaining than many EPL teams.

I’d rather play shite route one football and win the league than be entertaining and win nothing apart from the FA Cup every couple of years TBH.

6 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I’d rather play shite route one football and win the league than be entertaining and win nothing apart from the FA Cup every couple of years TBH.

Agreed.  Heck if my team won 1-0 every week I'd be delighted.

I have great respect for Wenger and all he's accomplished but this was way past due.  His teams have been stagnating for a while now so this really should have happened around 2015 or 2016.  A mutual separation is best for both parties, Arsenal can get a fresh start and Arsene can either retire or find a fresh challenge.

Reading between the lines, Kroenke has decided to punt Wenger after a very poor league season.  A poor sixth (33 points behind City, 20 behind United) was probably unacceptable even to Kroenke who kept Wenger against the majority of fans' wishes.

Whoever is appointed has a major rebuilding job in just a few weeks. There's a lot of average players who can't compete against the top 5.  It'll be tough to bring in the right players with the World Cup and the shortened transfer window. A poisoned chalice?

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Whoever is appointed has a major rebuilding job in just a few weeks. There's a lot of average players who can't compete against the top 5.  It'll be tough to bring in the right players with the World Cup and the shortened transfer window. A poisoned chalice?

It really depends on what the expectations are.  If the new boss is expected to come in and challenge for the title next year then yes it is poisoned, but challenging for the top 4 should be a realistic target (and not make it a poisoned chalice) for the new boss next year, if Kroenke is patient enough

There is the basis for a top 4 squad at Arsenal.  Ozil and Aubameyang are two of the most talented players in the league and if they could actually sort out their bloody defence then they'd be alright.  They're below City, Spurs and Liverpool right now but to me are the same level as Chelsea and Man United.

Doubt it. No managerial experience or track record at the top level.
Thomas Tuchel would be my guess. Bayern were reportedly after him but they've just appointed Kovac instead.
Vieira as assistant would be a possibility. Surely, given the appalling state of Arsenal's defence, the inept Steve Bould will be out on his arse. 
ETA - Ancelotti is available and would be a solid appointment.

He’s been linked with going back to Chelsea especially as there’s a high probability Conte will be punted.

I read a rumour a couple of months ago that Luis Enrique was apparently waiting to see what happened at Arsenal when he was questioned about links to the Chelsea job.

Archived