Premier League 2017-2018

Arsene Wenger to finally chuck it at the end of the season!!!

Retires with a year left on his contract, he'll probably win the Europa League now as a big "f**k you" to everybody!!!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must have someone lined up already. No way he’d be resigning without the successor being picked. Given the press around Viera recently, possibly him?

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

They must have someone lined up already. No way he’d be resigning without the successor being picked. Given the press around Viera recently, possibly him?

Viera was being touted yesterday...

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

You'd think that Arsenal would have learnt from Man Utd when it comes to the outgoing long-serving manager picking the successor. 

26 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Viera was being touted yesterday...

Doubt it. No managerial experience or track record at the top level.

Thomas Tuchel would be my guess. Bayern were reportedly after him but they've just appointed Kovac instead.

Vieira as assistant would be a possibility. Surely, given the appalling state of Arsenal's defence, the inept Steve Bould will be out on his arse. 

ETA - Ancelotti is available and would be a solid appointment.

Should have left at least ten years ago. At least until recently he had a perennial 4th place finish and a Chumpions League campaign to keep him happy. Now I think it's safe to say Arsenal will never be relevant ever again.

24 minutes ago, The Master said:

You'd think that Arsenal would have learnt from Man Utd when it comes to the outgoing long-serving manager picking the successor. 

To be fair, Moyes was something like Ferguson's fifth choice. 

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Doubt it. No managerial experience or track record at the top level.

Thomas Tuchel would be my guess. Bayern were reportedly after him but they've just appointed Kovac instead.

Viera as assistant would be a possibility. Surely, given the appalling state of Arsenal's defence, the inept Steve Bould will be out on his arse. 

Tuchel's going to PSG, most likely. 

I don't think you can underestimate just how much of an influence Wenger has had on English football, and despite it being a bit of a shambles since the move to the Emirates, those first few years were just ridiculous.

One of the thing that made Sir Alex such an unbelievable manager was his ability to consistently turn over squads and morph them into champions, but Wenger was playing catch-up since the stadium move, then he was almost behind the times when they could actually compete. 

Recently, the likes of Cazorla (before he died), Ozil and Sanchez have been good signings, but you'd struggle to find many of that calibre for a while, and I don't think he's developed his style well enough. This season, he's tried a high press, but it didn't really look like he knew what he was doing, and he's also tried containment jobs, but his defence wasn't good enough. 

Tuchel was supposedly a very awkward character to work with at Dormund and burnt a lot of bridges. There's a suggestion that he may not want to work alongside Sven Mislentat again.

Also, he's been very publicly linked with the PSG job.

Archived