Premier League 2017-2018

How the f**k can anyone think that's not a red card? I'm the first one to criticise over-protection of goalkeepers, but he's got his foot ridiculously high and catches him in the face with his studs at speed. It's not one with a player dipping their head low either, the foot is just far too high.

It's clearly reckless, it's a blatant red card and would have been had that challenge been made against an outfield player as well. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jaggy Snake said:

People/Neville getting carried away because Mane going off probably ruins the game. Studs first, well off the ground and into a players head. Ref can't do anything but send him off.

If that had been Costa doing that to Joe Hart, or similar, they'd have gone off their heads at how bad a challenge it was. They like Mane so they're not being objective.

Best point on the post. Well played.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

The outcome of the challenge/number of medical personnel required has nothing to do with whether it was a red or not.

The fact it was an obviously dangerous, reckless challenge does mean it's a blatant red card though.

How the f**k can anyone think that's not a red card? I'm the first one to criticise over-protection of goalkeepers, but he's got his foot ridiculously high and catches him in the face with his studs at speed. It's not one with a player dipping their head low either, the foot is just far too high.
It's clearly reckless, it's a blatant red card and would have been had that challenge been made against an outfield player as well. 

This. I can't actually believe that reaction. If that was an outfield player would people be complaining?

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The outcome of the challenge/number of medical personnel required has nothing to do with whether it was a red or not.

All I'm saying with that comment is how disgraceful the way they treated the incident. It was a severe injury and they barely paid the goalie any mind instead they were making arguments why Mane shouldn't have got a red, why the ref is wrong and in general trying to excuse the challenge.

He's got to be entitled to go for that, he can't seriously not attempt to win the ball purely because the keeper is also going for it too. His studs weren't up and that's not a reckless challenge.

Are you on drugs ?

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

He's got to be entitled to go for that, he can't seriously not attempt to win the ball purely because the keeper is also going for it too. His studs weren't up and that's not a reckless challenge.

He literally studded him in the face!

He is entitled to go for it. With his head, because it was far too high to go for with his foot without endangering an opponent. He used his foot and that's a clear red card regardless of his intent. 

Remember Nigel De Jong's kung-fu kick on Xabi Alonso in the 2010 World Cup final, when everyone unanimously agreed it should have been a red and it was a disgrace that it was only a yellow? Mane's challenge was higher, faster and more dangerous. There is absolutely no argument against that being a straight red card.

I don't think he can have any complaints, yes he went for the ball and no he didn't mean to cause any malice, but his feet were up and he was late, if he went I  like that six inches of the ground and was similarly beaten to the ball and caught them at ankle height I doubt anyone would even question it. 

Archived