Bonnyrigg Rose 2017-18

bravehearts dad

One for the Bonnyrigg historians. Graeme Souness’s brother Gordon played for a season (or two) with New Blackburn Athletic, our forerunners, 1969-70 and I think 1970-71 before moving to Armadale Thistle. Apparently his younger brother trained a few times with NBA whilst he was with Spurs and was back up the road after a fall out.

Anyway, Gordon Souness was on Hearts books but was released in 1965, and NBA signed him from Bonnyrigg in 1969, was he at New Dundas Park for those intervening 4 seasons?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

One for the Bonnyrigg historians. Graeme Souness’s brother Gordon played for a season (or two) with New Blackburn Athletic, our forerunners, 1969-70 and I think 1970-71 before moving to Armadale Thistle. Apparently his younger brother trained a few times with NBA whilst he was with Spurs and was back up the road after a fall out.

Anyway, Gordon Souness was on Hearts books but was released in 1965, and NBA signed him from Bonnyrigg in 1969, was he at New Dundas Park for those intervening 4 seasons?

The only two people who were officials and committeemen in that era that could answer your question are Nat Fisher and Willie Green....the rest have left us.....but both these individuals don't contribute to this Forum......but some of the others may contact them and give you a reply....both are frequent attendees at the local Social club.Hope this helps.in the long run.

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:58, BENJI BOY said:

Fairly confident yes.....but complacent no.....you will still be trying like bears on Wednesday night to derail the chuck waggon or its not the Bo,ness we have come to  face with a little in trepidation in past games.

Your words certainly proved correct.  Although the boss may have become complacent in his choice of subs.  A most enjoyable game with chances going a begging at both ends.  Still think the ref got the last-minute penalty appeal wrong though.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:59, Jambo'ness said:

Your words certainly proved correct.  Although the boss may have become complacent in his choice of subs.  A most enjoyable game with chances going a begging at both ends.  Still think the ref got the last-minute penalty appeal wrong though.

After speaking to friends who were at that end.....it was definitely...no consolation to the united though.....still the game was worth the entrance money on a driech night.

Have we really got a Wednesday this week followed by a Monday/Wednesday next week?

not going to miss the ridiculous end of season fixture chaos next season.

Have we really got a Wednesday this week followed by a Monday/Wednesday next week?
not going to miss the ridiculous end of season fixture chaos next season.
The last league game has been the first Saturday in June the last few years, have to admit I'd expected us to be away to HoB on the 26th and Sauchie on 2nd June. Especially considering Linlithgow have a game more to play than us so you'd have thought we should both finish at the same time (unless they are playing 4 league games in the final week)

Even if one of the Cup Finals is intended for the first Saturday in June its cutting things a bit tight.

18 hours ago, Gimme said:

The last league game has been the first Saturday in June the last few years, have to admit I'd expected us to be away to HoB on the 26th and Sauchie on 2nd June. Especially considering Linlithgow have a game more to play than us so you'd have thought we should both finish at the same time (unless they are playing 4 league games in the final week)

Even if one of the Cup Finals is intended for the first Saturday in June its cutting things a bit tight.

Linlithgow have 4 to play and two of them are scheduled for 19th home..Lochee.....26th.home Carnoustie..with a cup tie on the 16th against Arniston...their 2 remaining SL games will probably be played week beginning 28th May....That leaves the semi-finals and finals of the Eos and Fife and Lothians for the first week in June...depending who gets through.  interesting final 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

May I offer congratulations to the 'big' Rose for all but clinching the East superleague last night.  The goal difference in your favour means that even Tommy Coyne can't dive enough to earn penalties to narrow the gap. :cheers

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

May I offer congratulations to the 'big' Rose for all but clinching the East superleague last night.  The goal difference in your favour means that even Tommy Coyne can't dive enough to earn penalties to narrow the gap. :cheers

There was no celebrations last night mate, task still to be completed at a difficult venue on Saturday against Hill of Beath.

C’mon the Rose

Hopefully the nerves will have settled after last nights point, which means Linlithgow need a 30+ goal swing in there last 3 games, whilst not impossible it is highly improbable, and we'll get the required result on Saturday at HoB.

6 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Hopefully the nerves will have settled after last nights point, which means Linlithgow need a 30+ goal swing in there last 3 games, whilst not impossible it is highly improbable, and we'll get the required result on Saturday at HoB.

Bottle starting to crash?   (straw clutching)

League tables don't lie - your performance at Prestonfield was the defining moment

2 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Bottle starting to crash?   (straw clutching)

League tables don't lie - your performance at Prestonfield was the defining moment

Just the typical end of season stumble over the line.

Wonder if we'll get to parade the trophy on Monday night in a Bullseye, "Here's what you could've won" fashion (probably put the kiss of death on it now!)

28 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Just the typical end of season stumble over the line.

Wonder if we'll get to parade the trophy on Monday night in a Bullseye, "Here's what you could've won" fashion (probably put the kiss of death on it now!)

No slackers last night on the field....The fans who cant make it to Hill o Beath and others must get to see the trophy on Monday night without any  undignified gestures to our opponents or their supporters surely....!!!!!      We should be bigger than that type of demonstration.

No slackers last night on the field....The fans who cant make it to Hill o Beath and others must get to see the trophy on Monday night without any  undignified gestures to our opponents or their supporters surely....!!!!!      We should be bigger than that type of demonstration.

Can't see any reference to slackers in my post, whilst there were enough opportunities last night to seal the game we didn't take them. The team looked a little nervous and were drawn into a long ball game, with the midfield chasing shadows at times in the first half, much like Monday night against Fauldhouse, rather than trying to play some of the football that's got us this far. Securing the point should help the boys play in a more relaxed fashion this weekend.

The stumble over the line isn't a dig, its an honest appraisal, it happens to teams no matter what level they play at, look at the likes of Ayr United this season (or indeed Celtic) who didn't manage to secure the title at the first opportunity but got there eventually, just like we should do on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Can't see any reference to slackers in my post, whilst there were enough opportunities last night to seal the game we didn't take them. The team looked a little nervous and were drawn into a long ball game, with the midfield chasing shadows at times in the first half, much like Monday night against Fauldhouse, rather than trying to play some of the football that's got us this far. Securing the point should help the boys play in a more relaxed fashion this weekend.

The stumble over the line isn't a dig, its an honest appraisal, it happens to teams no matter what level they play at, look at the likes of Ayr United this season (or indeed Celtic) who didn't manage to secure the title at the first opportunity but got there eventually, just like we should do on Saturday.

Nor was my reference to no slackers on the field...We should give some credit to the Sauchie lads who were a different team from Saturday on their home patch with the inclusion of  their returning player from suspension.....pitch left a lot to be desired ..even if it was cut..in a fashion that is...…..our midfield I thought did play to their usual standard the second half..especially Johnny Stewart and Euan Moyes....Dean Brett didn't look so sharp then but he took two crunshing tackles that would normally see a player substituted...but that's not his way...hope he is fit for the finale on Saturday.

As an aside...It will be 40 years to the Saturday that the town celebrated big style the winning of the Scottish junior cup...So our last game in the Super League with the trophy to bring home is worth savouring as was that day.

SCOT78.jpg

SCOT80.jpg

SCOT79.jpg

I see the East Region intend presenting us with the trophy on Saturday irrespective of the result, hopefully we'll get the point we need but if we get beat I'm not really sure it'd be the right thing to do, even accepting how unlikely it is for Linlithgow to pull back a 32 goal deficit.

I see the East Region intend presenting us with the trophy on Saturday irrespective of the result, hopefully we'll get the point we need but if we get beat I'm not really sure it'd be the right thing to do, even accepting how unlikely it is for Linlithgow to pull back a 32 goal deficit.
3 games for Linlithgow to play. Carnoustie on the road and Newtongrange and Forfar at home have lost no more than 4 goals in a Superleague game. The goal difference is not going to be turned in the remaining games. #SoChillRelax

Archived