Best - Worst Elections

Im_Rodger

What's your favourite to worst elections that you've been politically active or observant in.

Here is my order.

BEST

2014 Independence Referendum

2016 Holyrood Election

2017 General Election

2016 US Presidential Election

2016 EU referendum

2017 Council Election

2014 EU Election

2011 Holyrood Election

2015 General Election

WORST

2 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Oh hello P&B

I know that none of you really believe in my online Tory voting persona.  It's became a wee hobby for me though, so I've invented another fun filled reason to faux-gloat at the Conservatives strong and stable performances.

Also - I've never spoke to a bird in my life.

FTFY

In terms of history making elections then 1997 was probably the biggest that I can recall.  There had been a Conservative government for my entire life and the scale of the victory was unprecedented - the Tories had their lowest share of the vote since the 1832 Reform Act and only 165 MPs.  The results of the election are still being seen - that election saw the Tories wiped out in terms of seats in Scotland and until last week they didn't get above the vote % in 1997 in any General Election.  The Labour win saw the creation of the Scottish Parliament and really kicked the concept of referendums into the political sphere.

Looking back it also saw a kind of Toryism die - by the time the Conservatives got back into government the default position of the party was anti-EU, anti-euro and that's one of the big factors that lead to the EU referendum.  You forget that John Major didn't want to rule out joining the single currency during that election campaign, one of the campaign talking points was that a lot of Tory candidates said in their election addresses that they were opposed to the single currency whereas Major wasn't opposed on principle.  By the time the Tories got back to government, Cameron had got them to row down the Euroscepticism in terms of public expresssions of it but they were a avowedly anti-EU party which wasn't true in the 1990s.

You also got to see some genuinely awful Tories getting launched.  YOu can't overstate how ghastly some of the Tory party had become by that point and Neil Hamilton losing was a true high point.  Portillo getting rinsed is obviously the classic that everyone remembers (he seems to have become less of a absolute horror since that day, proof that falls can improve you).  David Mellor's concession speech was also very amusing, shouting abuse at James Goldsmith.  Goldsmith is an interesting one, people really thought he and his party were a joke but fast-forward two decades and the movement he started has won really.

For me, the 2016 US Presidential Election was fueled with drama, twists & turns. That coupled with the fact that I was actually in America at the time of the election makes it pretty special to me.

I do have a funny, yet sad story to come with my time in America at this time.  I was walking along my hotel's concourse, I was on my way to go & get some dinner( Applebee's if you must know) & I pass a group of young African American men. At the time of passing them, Hillary Clinton was in the lead in an important swing state( that state being Florida, which is were I happened to be on holiday) - it was widely expected that the result in Florida would be indicative of the result of the country as a whole. Anyway, these Afican American were outside their hotel rooms popping open bottles of champagne & smoking cigars - under the presumption that Hillary Clinton was going to be the next president of the United States of America. I would of loved to have seen their reaction when Florida swung towards Donald Trump & the result of the election was a Trump administration. It is safe to say that their celebrations were a tad premature,,,

This election had just about everything from high quality memes, big names on their arses and absolute scenes. But the fact May hugely bottled a near unprecedented lead, destroyed her credibility and resorted to depending on the Missus Bunfield Party was just incredible. Jezza Corbyn killing off any chance of Blairism returning leaving the absolute losers of last generation like Jack Straw and Chucka Umana bowing down to kiss the ring was about as good as seeing various Conservatives squirming. Busted flush staying irrelevant despite attempting to pander even more to younger people was also satisfying. The only downside being the SNP's collapse letting in the members of the Conservatives.

2015 though, seeing the entirety of Scottish Labour out on their arse was superb. An entire generation of complacent and lazy Scottish Labour drones was glorious. With tears and snotters everywhere. The Conservatives bodying UK Labour on the whole was a bit painful but it has led to the British non union equivalent of the Rangers Banter Years so it can live with that looking back. 

8 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

What's your favourite to worst elections that you've been politically active or observant in.

Here is my order.

BEST

2016 Holyrood Election

2017 General Election

2016 EU referendum

2017 Council Election

2014 EU Election

2011 Holyrood Election

2015 General Election

WORST

Referendums are not elections.

Descending from the best

2010 General Election

2016 Holyrood Election

2017 Macron Election

2017 General Election

2012 Obama Re-Election

The Scottish ones i didn't really care about

2017 Local Elections

2012 Local Elections

2009 European Elections

Countdown of the bad to worst

2014 European Elections

2011 Holyrood Election

2015 General Election

2016 Trump Election

2016 Brexit Referendum

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In terms of history making elections then 1997 was probably the biggest that I can recall.  There had been a Conservative government for my entire life and the scale of the victory was unprecedented - the Tories had their lowest share of the vote since the 1832 Reform Act and only 165 MPs.  The results of the election are still being seen - that election saw the Tories wiped out in terms of seats in Scotland and until last week they didn't get above the vote % in 1997 in any General Election.  The Labour win saw the creation of the Scottish Parliament and really kicked the concept of referendums into the political sphere.

Looking back it also saw a kind of Toryism die - by the time the Conservatives got back into government the default position of the party was anti-EU, anti-euro and that's one of the big factors that lead to the EU referendum.  You forget that John Major didn't want to rule out joining the single currency during that election campaign, one of the campaign talking points was that a lot of Tory candidates said in their election addresses that they were opposed to the single currency whereas Major wasn't opposed on principle.  By the time the Tories got back to government, Cameron had got them to row down the Euroscepticism in terms of public expresssions of it but they were a avowedly anti-EU party which wasn't true in the 1990s.

You also got to see some genuinely awful Tories getting launched.  YOu can't overstate how ghastly some of the Tory party had become by that point and Neil Hamilton losing was a true high point.  Portillo getting rinsed is obviously the classic that everyone remembers (he seems to have become less of a absolute horror since that day, proof that falls can improve you).  David Mellor's concession speech was also very amusing, shouting abuse at James Goldsmith.  Goldsmith is an interesting one, people really thought he and his party were a joke but fast-forward two decades and the movement he started has won really.

Great post, ICTChris.

Sure i remember the Referendum Party holding a Scotttish set up meeting in Aberdeen and thinking why not Glasgow or Edinburgh. Obviously it wasn't just aimed at trawler captains. The whole North East seems to be full of carrots. Remember the RP having a strange membership set up, ordinary punters could join it and hand over the cash but the officer class had already been put in place. Think they had two meetings, one for the top brass and one for the prols. It was like a history lesson about the BUF. Never took much notice after it faded and died. Mistake because obviously most of them crossed straight over to the little known UKIP. The first time i noticed UKIP was the blow up with Kilroy Silk for who was to be the Great Leader. Who the eff is this bam called Farage, i thought.

I sincerely doubt that any of us will live to witness a more glorious election than 1997. All those self-interested deviants losing their jobs and being forced to...err...take up jobs with the contacts they'd cultivated while in government. Alright, well, it was fun seeing them publicly humiliated, at least.

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I sincerely doubt that any of us will live to witness a more glorious election than 1997. All those self-interested deviants losing their jobs and being forced to...err...take up jobs with the contacts they'd cultivated while in government. Alright, well, it was fun seeing them publicly humiliated, at least.

For those that lived through the 18 years it was sweet but sad also that the bazzas had held us back all those long years. Whole industries finished off and crap jobs paying £1.50 an hour.

Just now, Glenconner said:

For those that lived through the 18 years it was sweet but sad also that the bazzas had held us back all those long years. Whole industries finished off and crap jobs paying £1.50 an hour.

Mind how furious the Tories were about the idea of a minimum wage? And tax credits, until they realised it could be used as an employer subsidy. Haven't heard any complaints about the latter for a while, oddly.

Here is my order.

BEST
2016 Holyrood Election
2017 General Election
2016 EU referendum
2017 Council Election
2014 EU Election
2011 Holyrood Election
2015 General Election
WORST

Trying too hard.

BEST
1997 General Election
1994 South African Election
1997 Scottish Devolution Referendum
2017 French Presidential Election

WORST
2000 US Presidential Election
1983 General Election
1987 General Election
1992 General Election
1979 General Election
2016 EU Referendum

INDIFFERENT (at the time)
2014 Scottish Referendum

Best probably 1997, in that it heralded optimism at the time and was overdue.  Turned out shite though and in fairness, that was probably fairly foreseeable.

Worst 1992.  On the dole at the time and the result defied the polls, even the exit one.  It really was pretty devastating.

Archived