2017 election post-mortem

ICTChris

Back in April Theresa May called an election for what was in the perceived best interests of the Conservative Party; it had absolutely nothing to do with what was in the best interest of the country.

Fast forward two months and we have a situation where an election should be called in the best interest of the country.  May is shit scared of doing this because she knows the Tories will slump even further.

Cash for votes with the DUP and party well ahead of national interests; a tawdry combination from a clueless politician.  I hope her complete uselessness haunts her to the end of her days.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Corbyn/Trump parallels within the first two paragraphs. Fair play to John Gray for such a staggering lack of introspection and self-criticism.

The entire commentariat should keep with the mea culpa and also ask Aaron Bastani how he managed to keep (correctly) predicting that the polls would continue rising for Labour. Everyone from the far right (Spectator, Telegraph, New Statesman) to the centre left (Independent, Guardian) called every part of this election and Brexit wrong.

Just now, NotThePars said:

The entire commentariat should keep with the mea culpa and also ask Aaron Bastani how he managed to keep (correctly) predicting that the polls would continue rising for Labour. Everyone from the far right (Spectator, Telegraph, New Statesman) to the centre left (Independent, Guardian) called every part of this election and Brexit wrong.

Agreed. So far too much of the mainstream, post-election commentary is something like: 'I know I got literally everything wrong, but here is why I actually got literally everything right.' Gray's piece has me facepalming about three times in every paragraph. 

I have no problem admitting that I got so much about Corbyn and Labour wrong before this election, but if I was being paid handsomely to write about it I like to think that I would be asking serious questions about where I went wrong and maybe whether I should seek a new line of work. I'd make an honourable exception for Stephen Bush at the New Statesman, who called Brexit right and has always been even-handed on Corbyn and has made a genuine effort to understand it at a deeper level. He is about the only one, though; so many others have been exposed as lazy, out-of-touch and stuck in the past. 

12 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/progressive-alliance-jeremy-corbyn-election-2017-greens-lib-dems-richmond-a7805246.html

Labour's hostility towards a progressive alliance lost Corbyn the election

No fucking kidding.

Just saw this. Pretty damning assessment of Labour's attitude not only in GE17 but over the past few years. Especially so in Scotland where Dugdale actually urged people to vote Tory to unseat SNP MPs.

Archived