Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

Wimbledon starts on Monday the 3rd of July but before that there is 3 weeks of grass court tennis from Nottingham, Stuttgart, Eastbourne, Halle and Queens.

Sir Andy Murray will be aiming for his 3rd Wimbledon title as well as his 6th Queens Club championship in the warm up event.

No Serena Williams this year means the ladies championship is wide open. Hopefully Jo Konta can have a decent few weeks. She has never made it past the 2nd round of Wimbledon and is coming off a 1st round exit at the French. Maria Sharapova has pulled out of the qualifying through injury. Eurosport are showing the qualifying this year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wimbledon is pretty intriguing in both men's and women's events I think.

Murray still has a bit to prove as far as his confidence to play aggressively is concerned. Will Federer be able to deal with his layoff and be his usual grass court self? Can Nadal deal with the faster courts and lower bounces on grass better than he has the last few years? Will Djokovic even turn up?

I've a feeling there may be a couple of high profile casualties in the first week, and one of the young guns might just take the trophy - Thiem and Zverev are the most likely candidates I would think.

As for the women's event, I haven't a frigging clue - could be anybody. Gut feeling Pliskova might do it, but nothing would surprise me after Ostapenka's win.

Del Potro is currently 30th in the world rankings, but with others around him playing three grass court tournaments it will be touch and go to make seedings.  A strong showing at Queens will clinch it though.  Although he is 150 points ahead of Verdasco in 33rd, with Lopez and Simon just behind Verdasco.  If he does make the seedings he will more than likely be 32nd seed, as he has virtually no grass points to be added.

Yeah the women's draw will be very open.  Ostapenko won the junior title a couple of years ago, and made the semi finals of the mixed doubles where she lost to Heather Watson and Henri Kontinen.  So it's certainly a surface she likes.  Depending on her recovery from injury Kvitova could easily find herself in the mix to win the title.  She's probably the least known double champion ever!

Looking forward to Wimbledon, June and July my favourite part of the tennis season. Only 4 men I think can win the mens Murray, Nadal, Djokovic or Federer. Ladies wide open (pardon the pun) ????

3 hours ago, ftk said:

Looking forward to Wimbledon, June and July my favourite part of the tennis season. Only 4 men I think can win the mens Murray, Nadal, Djokovic or Federer.

The last time one of those four didn't win it was Leyton Hewitt in 2002 :lol:

The sheer domination of that quartet at Wimby will be coming to an end shortly, but it won't be this summer.

Dan Evans has pulled out of the Nottingham Open putting his Wimbledon participation in doubt. Laura Robson was beaten in the woman's event. Alijaz Bedane beat Denis Istomin in Holland.

That means Djokovic will be seeded above Nadal.  A win for Wawrinka at Queens coupled with Federer winning Stuttgart and Halle would see Nadal drop to 5th seed.

That's a shame, tbh. Was looking forward to seeing if he's still humpty on grass.

If he draws Kyrgios and/or Zverev in the third/fourth round he could be out on his ear early doors again.

That's a shame, tbh. Was looking forward to seeing if he's still humpty on grass.
If he draws Kyrgios and/or Zverev in the third/fourth round he could be out on his ear early doors again.

I'd love to see him annihilate Kyrgios

Archived