'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont understand why, leaving aside your dislike of all things Rangers, the pair of you find it baffling. It is an SPFL competition, run and funded by the SPFL. Rangers are a member of the SPFL and I dont have any great issue with them participating in the competition with a youth team. Brora Rangers are not members of the SPFL. I think there's a good argument that inviting non member clubs in is a more controversial step. To be clear, I am NOT against Brora et al being in it. I just think they have less of a case to be. 

We are going round in circles here and getting nowhere though. As I said all along, I am aware my view is not shared by many and I didnt intend to get into any great debate about it. I know I cant win it. It all comes from MT asking why I thought the cup was different from the League. I am, and remain, dead against Colt teams being allowed in the League.

Oh and to clarify for Flash, I didnt mean that Colt teams winning a few rounds would be something I would want. I meant it was "so much the better" for THEM. Personally if they are in the Cup, I dont care much whether they win or lose any game. I dont have any issue at all with the last 8 all being Colt teams if they earn their place by winning games, just as I dont have any issue if they are all League 2 teams. I dont much care who is in the last 8 if it isnt us, though generally I would always prefer a Scottish side to beat one of the foreign ones.

My dislike is of all things OF.  It's a perfectly rational position I'm happy to defend.

I've never understood your indifference to matters affecting our game that go beyond a mere consideration of Queens, but hey, we're all different.

As I said though, all a bit baffling.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My dislike is of all things OF.  It's a perfectly rational position I'm happy to defend.

I've never understood your indifference to matters affecting our game that go beyond a mere consideration of Queens, but hey, we're all different.

As I said though, all a bit baffling.

I dont think I am indifferent to matters affecting our game generally. If I was indifferent for instance I wouldnt care if Colts were in the League or not. 

If truth be told I am also somewhat biased towards Annan Athletic too, unless they are actually playing us.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know I cant win it. It all comes from MT asking why I thought the cup was different from the League. I am, and remain, dead against Colt teams being allowed in the League

So would you be happy with Colt teams entering the Scottish Cup ?

16 minutes ago, peternapper said:

So would you be happy with Colt teams entering the Scottish Cup ?

Absolutely not. We have been over this already. I do not support the same club having two teams in the same competition. I dont have an issue with Premiership Colts being in the Challenge Cup because their first teams are ineligible. I do have an issue with them being proposed for the League, Scottish Cup or League Cup because their first teams play in those.

"I don't give a toss about the diddy cup" would be a much more concise answer, and would probably satisfy most folk.

Well, apart from the bit about it being used to establish colt teams and cross-border domestic competition by the back door, but that's probably the stuff of deranged fantasy, and will remain so until proven accurate.

Absolutely not. We have been over this already. I do not support the same club having two teams in the same competition. I dont have an issue with Premiership Colts being in the Challenge Cup because their first teams are ineligible. I do have an issue with them being proposed for the League, Scottish Cup or League Cup because their first teams play in those.
And don't you think that participation in the Challenge Cup is merely a precursor to entry into the league structure ? With the greatest respect I think people underestimate the arrogance and influence of the OF.

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

"I don't give a toss about the diddy cup" would be a much more concise answer, and would probably satisfy most folk.

Well, except that I do. I am a big fan of the Challenge Cup. I'm not bothered what satisfies most people.

58 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And don't you think that participation in the Challenge Cup is merely a precursor to entry into the league structure ? With the greatest respect I think people underestimate the arrogance and influence of the OF.

My opinion of their involvement in the cup is not affected by whatever the original motivation for their involvement was.

Interesting to see how other countries deal with reserve or colt teams. In Germany reserve teams are allowed to play in the Liga league which is basically the third tier of German football but these teams cannot be promoted to the Bundesliga 2 even if they win the league. In Spain reserve teams can play in the Segunda B division which again is the third tier. In the faroes islands teams can have three or four teams operating in the leagues 

Noticeable in Scotland that Stirling University have a team in The Lowland league as well as one in The East of Scotland league. 

20 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Interesting to see how other countries deal with reserve or colt teams. In Germany reserve teams are allowed to play in the Liga league which is basically the third tier of German football but these teams cannot be promoted to the Bundesliga 2 even if they win the league. In Spain reserve teams can play in the Segunda B division which again is the third tier. In the faroes islands teams can have three or four teams operating in the leagues 

Noticeable in Scotland that Stirling University have a team in The Lowland league as well as one in The East of Scotland league. 

Spanish reserve teams can play in the second tier. I'm sure the Barcelona B team came very close to winning the league or being in the promotion places a few years back.

I would like to know if the foreign colt teams play actual home matches or if they  play all their matches away and bribe the other teams with a token payment every week . 

They play at home. In fact Barcelona B have a state of the art 15000 seater right next to the nou camp

What's the attendance though

Been a few years since I was at the Nou Camp but they often played the B game ahead of the first team game so you could get there early and watch both games. I guess that would skew the attendance figures.
Fantastic stadium for watching the B game too..

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

They play at home. In fact Barcelona B have a state of the art 15000 seater right next to the nou camp

This fact alone blows any comparisons that can be drawn between colt clubs in other countries  and the scam that is being concocted here . 

So, here's an idea, if the teams that want colt clubs got together and formed a little league of their own, that way it wouldn't interfere with the already established setup. In fact as this league was based around secondary players at the main clubs, we could give it a name to reflect that, say... oh, I don't know... "reserve"? Sure that works. So, we have a league of reserve players playing in this reserve setup. Now if only I could think of a name...

Archived