'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What do you want folk to do?

There's been plenty of folk who have already stated they wont attend. That's quite literally the only viable and effective course of action. Even at that, I highly doubt it will have much impact, they don't really give a f**k if no one turns up such is their desperation to include Old Firm colt teams in every competition going.

That would work but will they en mass refrain from attending though? The only time fans have stood together for the benefit of the game with 2012. The rest of the time decisions such as this are generally accepted for a few crumbs off the OF table.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would work but will they en mass refrain from attending though? The only time fans have stood together for the benefit of the game with 2012. The rest of the time decisions such as this are generally accepted for a few crumbs off the OF table.

The majority of our normal fans appear to be boycotting it. A handful of the cock measuring contest brigade are rolling out the usual "we're the best and most loyal fans ever and will never let down our team" shite.

I'd imagine many other clubs will be facing a similar scenario but ultimately I'd expect attendances to be pretty woeful accross the board.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've written about it for the local paper, stuck out a host of tweets and ranted about it on our supporters' Facebook group. I'll be boycotting the game too (first home match I'll have missed through choice since November 2009).

There's not much else I can do!

I applaud you but the boycott will be your only genuinely effect discourse as your tweets and articles will be shot down by our wonderful SMSM as a "moon howler" or an "Internet bampot". It's ALL about the OF for them, our football authorities and sadly many in the boardrooms of our Clubs.

I won't attend. It's all I can do. It won't make a difference - we will probably sell out the away side of the ground with Rangers fans so me not being there won't make a difference.

But if enough home fans refuse to attend games featuring colt teams then perhaps we can send the message that we don't want them.

I'd rather watch Dumbarton play a lowland league team than a colt team. The lowland league club have a proper reason for being.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The majority of our normal fans appear to be boycotting it. A handful of the cock measuring contest brigade are rolling out the usual "we're the best and most loyal fans ever and will never let down our team" shite.

I'd imagine many other clubs will be facing a similar scenario but ultimately I'd expect attendances to be pretty woeful accross the board.

Therein lies the problem sadly. Hopefully you will succeed but given our Clubs collective silence over the authorities inability to apply the association laws evenly across ALL Clubs, I won't hold my breath.

34 minutes ago, sjc said:

I applaud you but the boycott will be your only genuinely effect discourse as your tweets and articles will be shot down by our wonderful SMSM as a "moon howler" or an "Internet bampot". It's ALL about the OF for them, our football authorities and sadly many in the boardrooms of our Clubs.

DO YOO NOT WANT SCOTLAND TO WIN WURLD CUPS?????!!! Appears to be the most common response from the Facebook Da's.

Honestly if you gave me the option of Scotland winning Qatar 2022, but having to watch Sons play Colt teams every second week, or Scotland never qualifying for a major tournament again, but U20s were kept out of the league, I'd choose the latter. I'm 20 though, so I've never actually seen us play at a major tournament, and generally care very little for the national team.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

DO YOO NOT WANT SCOTLAND TO WIN WURLD CUPS?????!!! Appears to be the most common response from the Facebook Da's.

Honestly if you gave me the option of Scotland winning Qatar 2022, but having to watch Sons play Colt teams every second week, or Scotland never qualifying for a major tournament again, but U20s were kept out of the league, I'd choose the latter. I'm 20 though, so I've never actually seen us play at a major tournament, and generally care very little for the national team.

It's laughable that they actually think the issue is a lack of game time for Scottish youngsters when it's glaringly obvious that the coaching isn't good enough and we don't have enough of them of a good enough quality at all levels of the game  from grassroots upwards. 

I'm sure ensuring that two less youngsters are able to play in these colt teams and will be replaced by a couple of duffers that cant get a game for their first teams is going to make all the difference when it comes to our international fortunes. Its time some of our clubs pulled out the whole thing or shafted them by putting out an u20's side against them thus negating the whole idea. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

According to today's Sunday Mail it looks like this issue is not going to go away quitely......

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-rangers-colt-teams-set-11886261

Time for everyone to start lobbying their clubs to preserve the democratic principle of one club, one team which has operated in Scottish League football since 1892.

Just now, Nowhereman said:

I know there's a thread in the league two forum but given the Sunday Mail is reporting today that Rangers and Celtic colts will be in league two next season I thought it was worth bumping this for those who hadn't seen the story

Jeez, like minds and all that - what timing !

I love the secretive b*****dliness of the "7/10 clubs" line. Absolutely no reason for the papers not to state which clubs are in favour, unless they know there's overwhelming opposition from the customer base, and the clubs are hoping to push it through before their fans find out, in exchange for a wee bit of cash to renovate the boardroom lavvies.

Surely the way to solve the Scottish youth development issue would be for the “rich” teams to pay decent transfer fees to lower tier clubs, rather than snap them up for peanuts under the current arrangements, giving an incentive once again for development by lower league clubs. Using other teams as sparring partners so they can develop players and pay these teams a little cash to smooth over this dirty little arrangement isn’t going to solve much. It just means players that “make it” will be getting splinters in their arse at Ibrox or Parkhead. Or that they will head to the English leagues for astronomical transfers creating further disparity in the Scottish game with the big two getting even more of the wealth, whilst the others get strangled further. The product suffers in Scotland and the better players for the Scottish national team that Project Brave is meant to herald remains unproven.

If people feel strongly enough about this then the clubs will listen to the fans. They did with putting sevco into division 3, bar a few (yes QOTS, looking at you) and will again, the fans just have to voice what an utter farce this suggestion this is

Confirmed Good Guys

Arbroath
Albion Rovers
Dunfermline Athletic
Clyde
Queen of the South
Cowdenbeath

Would be good to hear an update if these clubs are still confirmed no to the idea. If so then only two more no votes would knock the idea out of the park. If they have changed to yes can only be because of the extra money bribe. 

Would think fan owned clubs (soon to be fan owned) like St Mirren, Stirling Albion, Clyde would all also have to be no based on supporters. 

Archived