'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

55 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Surprised at that - given that Donald Findlay is their Chairman

We voted against Rangers being put into the Championship last time.  Donald may be a Rangers fan but he is a smart man and knows how to keep the Cowden fans on board!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the use of 'ventilation', that's a good statement from Cowden.

Last night John Robertson said on the radio that he was preparing for Inverness potentially having a 'colt' team next season.

We voted against Rangers being put into the Championship last time.  Donald may be a Rangers fan but he is a smart man and knows how to keep the Cowden fans on board!

Much as I'm delighted I rather suspect that the fact that Cowdenbeath nearly exited League 2 last season, and could in the near future would be a factor here.

If colt clubs entered the league structure there may be less places available for established clubs that get relegated in future?

24 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Good to know that Cowdenbeath don't plan on entering a 'Colt' side into the league pyramid. Hopefully will end the fierce debate on that issue.

Beyond the facetious stuff though, it is welcome that a club at a level likely to be directly affected by the colt issue, is speaking up against it convincingly.  There's good stuff in there about the role and function of such clubs.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Beyond the facetious stuff though, it is welcome that a club at a level likely to be directly affected by the colt issue, is speaking up against it convincingly.  There's good stuff in there about the role and function of such clubs.

I'm a wee bit surprised all league two sides haven't already come out with similar. Like they said, 10 team leagues are in no way suitable for Colts and could impact any one of their places (along with a lot of league one sides)

I thought the Cowdenbeath comment about not entering a Colt team was pretty good. Obviously a bit tongue in cheek. Fair play to them... Would love to see the buddies follow suit with a statement as a (soon to be) fan owned club. 

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Apart from the use of 'ventilation', that's a good statement from Cowden.

Last night John Robertson said on the radio that he was preparing for Inverness potentially having a 'colt' team next season.

John Robertson is an absolute tit though. 

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

John Robertson is an absolute tit though. 

True enough, but he might have let on more than he should have.

He may also have confirmed Inverness as an entrant on the 'Bad Guys' list

3 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

I'm a wee bit surprised all league two sides haven't already come out with similar. Like they said, 10 team leagues are in no way suitable for Colts and could impact any one of their places (along with a lot of league one sides)

I agree with pretty much every word of the Cowdenbeath statement. I think it's spot on, and would be surprised if it doesn't reflect the views of the vast majority of League One and Two clubs.

However, without entirely wanting to step outside having an input on the future of Scottish football. I actually think if by some chance the majority of the two lower divisions members actually wanted this to happen then those of us clubs in the Championship and Premiership shouldn't vote against it and prevent it. Whilst I accept that we will probably not always be a Championship club, it's a fact that the proposals made do not allow Colt sides to get as far as the Championship and we are therefore currently fairly unaffected by whether they do or don't come in. If those who ARE affected wanted it to happen then we shouldn't prevent it.

All that said, I cannot for the life of me see why such clubs would want it to happen. Hopefully it will be binned as an idea.

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I agree with pretty much every word of the Cowdenbeath statement. I think it's spot on, and would be surprised if it doesn't reflect the views of the vast majority of League One and Two clubs.

However, without entirely wanting to step outside having an input on the future of Scottish football. I actually think if by some chance the majority of the two lower divisions members actually wanted this to happen then those of us clubs in the Championship and Premiership shouldn't vote against it and prevent it. Whilst I accept that we will probably not always be a Championship club, it's a fact that the proposals made do not allow Colt sides to get as far as the Championship and we are therefore currently fairly unaffected by whether they do or don't come in. If those who ARE affected wanted it to happen then we shouldn't prevent it.

All that said, I cannot for the life of me see why such clubs would want it to happen. Hopefully it will be binned as an idea.

It will affect your club though. Say goodbye to the likes of Joe Thomson or Dom Thomas coming into your club on loan and make do with whatever shite isn't being hoarded by the big clubs.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It will affect your club though. Say goodbye to the likes of Joe Thomson or Dom Thomas coming into your club on loan and make do with whatever shite isn't being hoarded by the big clubs.

I said fairly unaffected (and Dom Thomas wasn't a Colt eligible player anyway so that wouldn't change). Clearly though if it were to go ahead the chances of getting good young players on loan from bigger clubs (in reality the OF) will be reduced. However, that doesn't change my view. I'm against it but if the majority of the League One and Two clubs were for it I don't think it would be right for us to vote against it. I don't believe for a second they will be though.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

I said fairly unaffected (and Dom Thomas wasn't a Colt eligible player anyway so that wouldn't change). Clearly though if it were to go ahead the chances of getting good young players on loan from bigger clubs (in reality the OF) will be reduced. However, that doesn't change my view. I'm against it but if the majority of the League One and Two clubs were for it I don't think it would be right for us to vote against it. I don't believe for a second they will be though.

Fair enough. I do think it will affect youth players coming through at other clubs too though. You'll see the likes of Rangers and Celtic sign up even more boys to fill out these squads which means there'll be less to choose from for everyone else. I agree though, I fail to see how any League 1 or 2 club can see this as a good move.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm against it but if the majority of the League One and Two clubs were for it I don't think it would be right for us to vote against it. I don't believe for a second they will be though.

I remember an occasion when we displayed fewer scruples about voting differently from the vast bulk of lower league clubs.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I agree to a certain extent but as the comment below I think this would impact clubs at our level. If you think about promising young players that might not be ready for a regular first team place. Where would they potentially go? OF colt and training at their facilities or stay with clubs at our level and maybe be loaned out/ play U20s. The idea doesn't benefit anyone apart from the few at the very top and I would always encourage any team outside that to shoot it down. Correct though, it doesn't appear likely now so a bit of a moot point. 

39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I remember an occasion when we displayed fewer scruples about voting differently from the vast bulk of lower league clubs.

Really? it's a surprise you don't mention it more then.

In case of any doubt, my view here is my own. It isn't necessarily one the Board would agree with.

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Really? it's a surprise you don't mention it more then.

Oh you know me.  Always keen to move on.

I was just making the point that our record of doing the right thing for the greater good is, at best, mixed.

Given we've scrapped our development squad to save cash I'm not sure how we can be talking about fielding a colt team next season especially if we don't get promoted.

Archived