'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

1 hour ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Absolutely.  Subtlety or morals were never a forte of the old SPL and the tradition continues unchecked. Shameless pandering as ever by those in charge to two teams who habitually express that their utmost desire is to feck off and play elsewhere anyway. You couldn't make it up. 

Besides, if 'Professor' Pat Nevin says it's a good idea (how surprising) then it's clearly not. 

And WTF is wrong with the current loan system for young players as it stands? As a 'frinstance, does the SPFL really think playing against Colt teams in front of a few hundred would be better for Danny Rogers' development as a young GK as opposed to being loaned out for two seasons as first choice to a top-end Championship team, getting sound experience against the best teams in the second tier, and playing in the play-offs? Would have thought Aberdeen would be pretty happy with that level of development opportunity for one of their reserves. 

Totally against the introduction of colt teams like most here, and most supporters I'd hope. Not sure that Danny Rogers is the best example to give, as he's Irish, but the point you make is a good one.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Totally against the introduction of colt teams like most here, and most supporters I'd hope. Not sure that Danny Rogers is the best example to give, as he's Irish, but the point you make is a good one.

Aye, he could have picked a Scottish player, but the gist of the argument is still solid. He gained valuable first team experience through 3 loan spells in the lower leagues and is now challenging for place in the team who've finished second 3 years running and has been called up to play for his national side (who are of a similar standard to Scotland).

I picked Danny Rogers as our highest profile recent loanee, who would probably be known to most folks reading into the discussion here, and given the level of exposure he's had with us as a reflection of an existing system which benefits both teams involved. 

As you say lanky, its meant to reflect that the core point is about the structure of how young players can best gain experience and how the majority of our teams benefit from what's already in place - without contriving to bring in a new set up which is weighted towards the two teams that least need help. And needless to say, if he's Scottish so much the better but if its a young player on loan at Falkirk I'm not too concerned whether he's Scots, Irish or Albanian.  

Given that minor but timely warning shot in Luxembourg tonight I now feel obliged to recant my views.....to avoid a shock result in future involving a genuinely respected Scottish football club, colt teams must now be crowbarred into the league, and preferably at Championship level.

Pedro Caixinha is 13-3/4.....weeks from the sack.

Emergency SPFL meetings taking place tonight, surely. Get the colts in before the season starts or it'll be worse than Armageddontm, and we all remember how bad that was.

On 11 June 2017 at 22:50, jupe1407 said:

This is fucking shite. Not only is it fucking shite, it's fucking pointless shite. 

1. Celtic will still bitchslap the top league for several more seasons unchallenged.

2. Rangers will still be a country mile behind them

3. Celtic will inevitably get their arses handed to them in the CL Group stages

4. Rangers will inevitably be fucked out by some no-marks from Finland. 

This will continue to happen year on year. Totally cunting up the League and pissing off a shitload of fans with this half-arsed proposal will make absolutely no improvement at all. 

Utter shite. 

Telt ye they'd get pumped from a no mark team outside of Finland:thumsup2

we shouldn't be too harsh on them though, it's the first time in their history they've played in Europe. I'm sure they'll get better when they start spending cash they don't have like their predecessors did. 

Anyone else get the feeling this is to gain the OF more financially or at least THE Rangers to give them a bit more financial clout to help them catch up with Celtic as now your going to have them supporting 2 more bigotfests as if the other OF games arent bad enough. So as well as helping the game your giving an even bigger financial gulf between the teams, I would have been happier if the whole atlantic league thing started up again and they pissed off so the rest of us could go back to enjoying football more.

Apologies if any of the points have been raised before but hadnt followed it all the way.

3 hours ago, Jackie Moon said:

Anyone else get the feeling this is to gain the OF more financially or at least THE Rangers to give them a bit more financial clout to help them catch up with Celtic as now your going to have them supporting 2 more bigotfests as if the other OF games arent bad enough. So as well as helping the game your giving an even bigger financial gulf between the teams, I would have been happier if the whole atlantic league thing started up again and they pissed off so the rest of us could go back to enjoying football more.

Apologies if any of the points have been raised before but hadnt followed it all the way.

I feel it's been shown there is no great financial gain in having Colt teams, at least when it comes to fan numbers anyway. I don't think you're far off the mark though about it to financially benefit the OF teams. It will mean the Colts can swallow up decent young players that would otherwise be fringe championship or league 1 players in Scotland. If 2 or 3 of them develop to a good level to play for one of the OF it's a win or if they do good enough to get a move down south to league 1 or Championship will probably command a six figure selling fee. This is where they'll make money. 

The problem is the SFA and SPFL just completely lie and say it's for the benefit of the national team. Don't see many 18, 19 or 20 year olds getting experience against Clyde or East Fife that will turn into Scotland internationals that will lead us into major tournaments. 

Completely agree with Atlantic league or England, either way would love to see them both leave Scotland so at least it'll be more competititve. 

When you see the state of they c***s playing for Sevco last night (Dalcio/Candeias/Herrera/Morelos) in particular, it really is some cheek that they think they should be allowed a colts team in to develop young Scottish players. How about developing them in your own team ffs!!!!

Where's the young Scottish McKay going to make way for the aforementioned foreign diddies, that's right out the door.

Clowns.

2 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

I feel it's been shown there is no great financial gain in having Colt teams, at least when it comes to fan numbers anyway. I don't think you're far off the mark though about it to financially benefit the OF teams. It will mean the Colts can swallow up decent young players that would otherwise be fringe championship or league 1 players in Scotland. If 2 or 3 of them develop to a good level to play for one of the OF it's a win or if they do good enough to get a move down south to league 1 or Championship will probably command a six figure selling fee. This is where they'll make money. 

The problem is the SFA and SPFL just completely lie and say it's for the benefit of the national team. Don't see many 18, 19 or 20 year olds getting experience against Clyde or East Fife that will turn into Scotland internationals that will lead us into major tournaments. 

Completely agree with Atlantic league or England, either way would love to see them both leave Scotland so at least it'll be more competititve. 

You can pretty much guarantee that if there is a chance the OF colt teams come face to face it will be a near sell out bigot fest just for the sake of it being a bigot fest, i don't expect either knuckle dragging support to act any differently than normal either.  Way to look at it is same sh*t different league (s).  I would like to know what the motivation is for capping them from being promoted as far as league 1, pretty sh*t for any team trying to get out of it and i dare say the championship would become a self preservation league should one of the colt teams win league 1.

I don't think England would have them given Celtics usual singing glorifying the IRA and given past history of the trouble why would they want that, although i wonder if THE Rangers are upset Her Majesty or her Revenue services at least given them losing the tax case again ..lol.

3 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

You can pretty much guarantee that if there is a chance the OF colt teams come face to face it will be a near sell out bigot fest just for the sake of it being a bigot fest, i don't expect either knuckle dragging support to act any differently than normal either.  Way to look at it is same sh*t different league (s).  I would like to know what the motivation is for capping them from being promoted as far as league 1, pretty sh*t for any team trying to get out of it and i dare say the championship would become a self preservation league should one of the colt teams win league 1.

I don't think England would have them given Celtics usual singing glorifying the IRA and given past history of the trouble why would they want that, although i wonder if THE Rangers are upset Her Majesty or her Revenue services at least given them losing the tax case again ..lol.

Rangers Vs Celtic Unders played in a Youth Cup final in April, attendance was about 5,000. If you have them play minimum four times a season and take away the consideration that it was a cup final the crowds will be more or less the same as they currently are when they meet in the U20 league which is roughly 300-400. 

Apparently if one of them won league 1 or they finished top 2 the team below them would go up. That's also laughable as it was mean through play-off a team finishing 6th out of 10 could be promoted. The cap at level 1 is strange, I don't understand it but I also don't understand why they should be in league 1 or league 2. Only teams that will benefit will be the bigot brothers. Fans of other clubs at league 1/2 level will avoid the games as a protest no doubt. 

It wouldnt surprise me if there was some way 1 or 2 senior players could work there way into that as a way of gaining match fitness etc or recovery from injury and no doubt it will be put across as a selling point for it the odd appearance of a senior player.

watch the OF put a list of selling points/changes to the SFA/SPFL.

It wouldnt surprise me if there was some way 1 or 2 senior players could work there way into that as a way of gaining match fitness etc or recovery from injury and no doubt it will be put across as a selling point for it the odd appearance of a senior player.

watch the OF put a list of selling points/changes to the SFA/SPFL.

They can put as many suggestions as they want to the SFA/SPFL but it'll no be happening.

Everything seems to of went quiet, why no update from the SPFL over the club consoltation? Assuming it'll be something to do with the Rangers nonsense. Which is completely unjustified, one teams affairs should not impact something that could have lasting consequencies on all of Scottish football. 

I think it was last Friday there was some sort of deadline for a declaration of interest from the clubs. This was the first time I'd heard mention of such a deadline and it came in a wee newspaper blurb mentioning how Aberdeen weren't likely to be interested.

Everything seems to of went quiet, why no update from the SPFL over the club consoltation? Assuming it'll be something to do with the Rangers nonsense. Which is completely unjustified, one teams affairs should not impact something that could have lasting consequencies on all of Scottish football. 

Because the comments will be collated and analysed and then passed to the Competitions Working Group for consideration at their next meeting. It wasn't a vote that was asked for but feedback

On 7/8/2017 at 16:42, Cowden Cowboy said:

Because the comments will be collated and analysed and then passed to the Competitions Working Group for consideration at their next meeting. It wasn't a vote that was asked for but feedback

You'd think there would be some sort of estimated consensus communicated out. For example if the majority of clubs were against it and in line with the fan survey being overwhelmingly against it. Ignoring the paying customers as per usual from the SPFL chiefs.  

Even a communication with a timescale would be better than nothing. 

You'd think there would be some sort of estimated consensus communicated out. For example if the majority of clubs were against it and in line with the fan survey being overwhelmingly against it. Ignoring the paying customers as per usual from the SPFL chiefs.  
Even a communication with a timescale would be better than nothing. 

Why? It was a private consultation with clubs and feedback was received. It wasn't a public debate.

7 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Why? It was a private consultation with clubs and feedback was received. It wasn't a public debate.

Because it's an important thing for the public to be informed on. Really the onus is on each club to make a statement on their stance though, I'm not expecting anything at all from the SPFL.

Archived