'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd think if the trust were going to organise a poll they would restrict it to Sons fans. Especially if they are going to use the result to try and influence the club's response to the spfl consultation document

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Facebook scares me. And I don't like my employer knowing what I'm up to.

Luckily, I don't think they are aware of P&B.

Just make up an email address and use a fake name, as far as I'm aware they don't ask for your passport.

You'd think if the trust were going to organise a poll they would restrict it to Sons fans. Especially if they are going to use the result to try and influence the club's response to the spfl consultation document

I think this will just be a bit of fun.

I'd imagine if they wanted to gather responses to present to the club they would restrict it to members only or do some sort of opinion poll in the bar on a matchday.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 13:50, edinabear said:

I am not really for or against the idea of colt teams but we should at least look at this objectively.

We are probably looking at 4-5 Colt Sides at the most joining the league.

They are going to be joining BELOW the Lowland League or Highland League as these leagues are currently full, so Tier 6 which is East of Scotland and South of Scotland and possible a new West of Scotland feeder.

Ironically there are already Reserve sides operating at this level, namely Stirling Uni Res, Annan Res and Stranraer Res. There used to be Spartans Res and Hibs Res until fairly recently.

There is not a snowball in hell's chance of OF putting their 'B' teams in the South of Scotland League :lol:. In any case, there are rules preventing 'B' teams ascending from the bottom levels into LL so they would also have to be changed. Last season Stirling Uni were a unique anomaly... when LL started they kept up their EOSL membership and used their second XI (playing from its own dedicated ground btw)... and rules were adopted preventing such anomalies leaving the bottom level.

It's stated explicitly in the SPFL plans published by SD that the 'B' teams they envisage will "ordinarily" start in HL and LL... It doesn't require any imagination to guess what 2 clubs would likely be regarded as "extraordinary".

One thing that bugs me so much about the idea of Colt teams in the league is the SPFL keep saying it would be good for young Scottish players development. Realistically only Old Firm will be able to afford this (maybe one or two more) they have never cared at all about developing Scottish players, why start now?

Look at Sevco's Europa league squad for example. Out of 30 they have 13 Scottish eligible players. One is Kenny Miller who's retired and six of them are aged 18 or under with a grand total of eight appearances between them. They won't be anywhere near the team sheet in Europe or in the league and will only be in the squad because of homegrown rules! What makes the SPFL think that they'll be interested at all in young Scottish talent? 

The SPFL are trying to pull the wool over our eyes, it's painstakingly obvious they only want to push the Old Firm further over everyone else. Who do they think they're fooling? 

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is not a snowball in hell's chance of OF putting their 'B' teams in the South of Scotland League :lol:. In any case, there are rules preventing 'B' teams ascending from the bottom levels into LL so they would also have to be changed. Last season Stirling Uni were a unique anomaly... when LL started they kept up their EOSL membership and used their second XI (playing from its own dedicated ground btw)... and rules were adopted preventing such anomalies leaving the bottom level.

It's stated explicitly in the SPFL plans published by SD that the 'B' teams they envisage will "ordinarily" start in HL and LL... It doesn't require any imagination to guess what 2 clubs would likely be regarded as "extraordinary".

You make some good points. Regarding the South of Scotland point what league would West coast B teams go into then if it was to get pushed through. SofS is tier 6 in the Pyramid so surely it has to be that as there are no other options! Also the LL is full and I don't imagine them going to 18.

So last day of consultation is upon us and not a word from St Mirren. They didn't consult our fan buyout group about a poll or post anything about this topic. Can only assume that means they will not be in favour of this. There hasn't been one positive comment about it that I've seen from clubs outside the few at the top.

Clubs can't justify supporting this rubbish.

So last day of consultation is upon us and not a word from St Mirren. They didn't consult our fan buyout group about a poll or post anything about this topic. Can only assume that means they will not be in favour of this. There hasn't been one positive comment about it that I've seen from clubs outside the few at the top.

Clubs can't justify supporting this rubbish.

Tbf no clubs have really. Everything has just been talked about at AGMs and obviously different clubs have different dates for these.

Nothing from ICT either but then we've been too busy making a clusterfuck of everything else at the moment so I wouldn't imagine that they could deal with a consultation with the fans anyway.

On 6/28/2017 at 16:25, Bazil85 said:

One thing that bugs me so much about the idea of Colt teams in the league is the SPFL keep saying it would be good for young Scottish players development. 

The SPFL are trying to pull the wool over our eyes, it's painstakingly obvious they only want to push the Old Firm further over everyone else. Who do they think they're fooling? 

Absolutely.  Subtlety or morals were never a forte of the old SPL and the tradition continues unchecked. Shameless pandering as ever by those in charge to two teams who habitually express that their utmost desire is to feck off and play elsewhere anyway. You couldn't make it up. 

Besides, if 'Professor' Pat Nevin says it's a good idea (how surprising) then it's clearly not. 

And WTF is wrong with the current loan system for young players as it stands? As a 'frinstance, does the SPFL really think playing against Colt teams in front of a few hundred would be better for Danny Rogers' development as a young GK as opposed to being loaned out for two seasons as first choice to a top-end Championship team, getting sound experience against the best teams in the second tier, and playing in the play-offs? Would have thought Aberdeen would be pretty happy with that level of development opportunity for one of their reserves. 

Archived