'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not really for or against the idea of colt teams but we should at least look at this objectively.

We are probably looking at 4-5 Colt Sides at the most joining the league.

They are going to be joining BELOW the Lowland League or Highland League as these leagues are currently full, so Tier 6 which is East of Scotland and South of Scotland and possible a new West of Scotland feeder.

Ironically there are already Reserve sides operating at this level, namely Stirling Uni Res, Annan Res and Stranraer Res. There used to be Spartans Res and Hibs Res until fairly recently.

Going by last seasons Irn Bru Cup results I really don't see teams mainly made up of 18-20 year olds progressing anywhere near League 1. Also worth noting that the Colt Sides teams will probably entirely change every 2 years which will also weaken them.

In a fully reconstructed Pyramid (also involving Juniors) Colt teams could work. I am strongly against them being parachuted in at League 2 or LL which it seems was originally suggested.

It is by no means the end of the world as some seem to be suggesting on here

I am not really for or against the idea of colt teams but we should at least look at this objectively.
We are probably looking at 4-5 Colt Sides at the most joining the league.
They are going to be joining BELOW the Lowland League or Highland League as these leagues are currently full, so Tier 6 which is East of Scotland and South of Scotland and possible a new West of Scotland feeder.
Ironically there are already Reserve sides operating at this level, namely Stirling Uni Res, Annan Res and Stranraer Res. There used to be Spartans Res and Hibs Res until fairly recently.
Going by last seasons Irn Bru Cup results I really don't see teams mainly made up of 18-20 year olds progressing anywhere near League 1. Also worth noting that the Colt Sides teams will probably entirely change every 2 years which will also weaken them.
In a fully reconstructed Pyramid (also involving Juniors) Colt teams could work. I am strongly against them being parachuted in at League 2 or LL which it seems was originally suggested.
It is by no means the end of the world as some seem to be suggesting on here

Why do you think it's ok for U20 teams to push established League 2 clubs out of the league? Do we not have to suffer enough OF pish?

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Why do you think it's ok for U20 teams to push established League 2 clubs out of the league? Do we not have to suffer enough OF pish?

Fair point. Personally I would have the cap at LL level . I genuinely don't think a Celtic, Rangers whoever Colts would regularly beat anyone in league 2

Fair point. Personally I would have the cap at LL level . I genuinely don't think a Celtic, Rangers whoever Colts would regularly beat anyone in league 2

There's a drive towards reintroduction of reserve teams at the moment.

If you open the door you may find teams up against Rangers or Celtic reserves rather than U 20s and that would not be good for SPFL 1 or 2.

The justification for colt teams is 'to help their development'. So how are the full-time, 'cream of Scottish talent', some of whom earn as much as first-team players in the Championship, going to develop against part-time players, in some cases amateurs, and many the same age as themselves? Against players who obviously are not as skilled, fit or coached?

This has sod all to do with 'developing' players but more about expanding the brand, power and wealth.

The justification for colt teams is 'to help their development'. So how are the full-time, 'cream of Scottish talent', some of whom earn as much as first-team players in the Championship, going to develop against part-time players, in some cases amateurs, and many the same age as themselves? Against players who obviously are not as skilled, fit or coached?
This has sod all to do with 'developing' players but more about expanding the brand, power and wealth.

Letting teams stock pile players.

Even if it was about development I'd want it to gtf. The league is a competition with competitive games not training sessions.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Stranraer were the only club in the four divisions to reject allowing the Tribute Act slither into the Third Division - I've fairly high hopes that they'll send this proposal into the conveniently located sea. 

Maybe so but they have a team already in the pyramid. 

Stranraer Reserves can't progress beyond their current level and there is no interest from top-flight clubs in fielding reserve sides in the South of Scotland league. That's a red herring. 

I've said in a couple of other threads but I have started a FB Page against Colts for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/NoToColts/

Yep, because nothing demonstrates an effective protest quite like creating a gormless Facebook page with the grand total of fifteen 'likes'.

The organisers of the Egyptian Arab Spring uprising will undoubtedly be taking notes on this innovative form of mass mobilisation.

Yep, because nothing demonstrates an effective protest quite like creating a gormless Facebook page with the grand total of fifteen 'likes'.

The organisers of the Egyptian Arab Spring uprising will undoubtedly be taking notes on this innovative form of mass mobilisation.

We're all looking forward to hearing your effective action plan VT?

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

We're all looking forward to hearing your effective action plan VT?

Lobby your clubs representatives. Creating a facebook page which none of the people making the decision will pay attention to (mainly because facebook is filled with illiterate roasters) seems futile to me.

Inform the club & the SPFL you will not be attending ANY cup games at all, no matter the opposition.

Organise protest outside those games with leaflets explaining why you're doing it and what the problem is (in as few words as possible).

Inform Ladbrokes, William Hill & Irn-Bru you will not be spending a penny with them until the situation is resolved.

the only way to be taken seriously is to remove your money, it's the only voice we all have. An online petition/Facebook group will be laughed at in boardrooms up and down the country.

Inform the club & the SPFL you will not be attending ANY cup games at all, no matter the opposition.
Organise protest outside those games with leaflets explaining why you're doing it and what the problem is (in as few words as possible).
Inform Ladbrokes, William Hill & Irn-Bru you will not be spending a penny with them until the situation is resolved.
the only way to be taken seriously is to remove your money, it's the only voice we all have. An online petition/Facebook group will be laughed at in boardrooms up and down the country.

That's fair enough but the best way to organise people to do these things is through social media

Lobby your clubs representatives. Creating a facebook page which none of the people making the decision will pay attention to (mainly because facebook is filled with illiterate roasters) seems futile to me.

Already done, and I'll be boycotting the Irn Bru Cup. The only thing that makes clubs sit up is direct withdrawal of cash.
I have utterly no confidence however that my club will vote to uphold the integrity of the game.

Already done, and I'll be boycotting the Irn Bru Cup. The only thing that makes clubs sit up is direct withdrawal of cash.
I have utterly no confidence however that my club will vote to uphold the integrity of the game.

Will the trust not be making their views known to the board ? (that's presuming they are against Colt teams)

Archived