'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

Someone made an interesting point on twitter that they've put the colts and championship clubs in the first round of Irn-Bru cup. That this might be a way for it to look like they take bigger crowds than they do to games. I'm hoping for a big fan boycott of the first round as a protest to the league idea.

Ideally season ticket holders boycotting so not to impact finances too much. Mind you how much is the first round of that competition against a Colt team really going to be worth?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Someone made an interesting point on twitter that they've put the colts and championship clubs in the first round of Irn-Bru cup. That this might be a way for it to look like they take bigger crowds than they do to games. I'm hoping for a big fan boycott of the first round as a protest to the league idea.

Ideally season ticket holders boycotting so not to impact finances too much. Mind you how much is the first round of that competition against a Colt team really going to be worth?

Depends on whether or not the challenge cup is on the season ticket. It's not at Morton and hasn't been since the late 90s.

2 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Do many clubs actually have the Challenge Cup on their season ticket? Or any other cup for that matter? I've not come across one though presumably the implication is that St Mirren do?

Anyway, I've said previously I'm not at all in favour of Colt teams in the League but have no problem with it in Cup games. I'd rather the Colt teams were in it than the "foreign" sides. I hope we draw one of the Colt sides and will look forward to it if we do. Crowd will no doubt be rubbish but it generally is for Challenge Cup ties anyway. I don't think the crowds here will be relevant to much in decision terms and it's certainly not why they've reorganised the Challenge Cup, that was necessary to incorporate the two additional guest teams anyway.

Do many clubs actually have the Challenge Cup on their season ticket? Or any other cup for that matter? I've not come across one though presumably the implication is that St Mirren do?
Anyway, I've said previously I'm not at all in favour of Colt teams in the League but have no problem with it in Cup games. I'd rather the Colt teams were in it than the "foreign" sides. I hope we draw one of the Colt sides and will look forward to it if we do. Crowd will no doubt be rubbish but it generally is for Challenge Cup ties anyway. I don't think the crowds here will be relevant to much in decision terms and it's certainly not why they've reorganised the Challenge Cup, that was necessary to incorporate the two additional guest teams anyway.

Yeah we do for first round of each... I think... I'm pretty sure that was the deal. I'm a season ticket holder but my memory isn't the best if they've changed it haha. I don't mind having them in the cup either however I feel the first round is a good chance to vent a protest over them coming into the pyramid. I don't imagine that game would be a big payday for anyone to be honest.

Add the Pars to the good guy list. Reply received from the club;

Thanks for getting in touch.

This matter was discussed at the June Board meeting and, suffice to say, DAFC are not supportive of this proposed change, for many of the reasons you’ve highlighted in your email, and will be notifying the SPFL accordingly. Feel free to contact me further if there are any other matters you think I could help with

On 6/20/2017 at 16:22, HibsFan said:

Very annoyed that Hibs seem to be onboard with this fucking awful idea.

You are aware that Hibs already did this a few years ago? The colts will be going in at the same level as then ie Tier 6

26 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Confirmed Good Guys:

Arbroath
Queen of the South
Albion Rovers
Dunfermline Athletic

You may as well add Falkirk to the upcoming "Servile Fuds" list as that's probably where our spineless board will put us. :thumbsdown

Confirmed Good Guys:

Arbroath
Queen of the South
Albion Rovers
Dunfermline Athletic

Wasn't expecting clubs like Dunfermline and QotS to be against it because I see them as Championship clubs but the fact they are is massively encouraging. I think this is dead in the water. There'll easily be another 7 from the other 18 clubs in league 1/2 that'll give this the swerve.

Remember hibs will always pander to the bogot bros. 

Their fans appear to love celtic more than hibs, but can't afford both the junk and travel expenses, hence them being hibs fans. 

28 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Yeah, let's follow Spain, a country which still hosts bullfighting and only gave up Fascism in 1975.

Some folk in Catalonia would disagree on your point regarding fascism. But yes, it's idiotic for many reasons.

On 2017-6-21 at 20:04, Bazil85 said:

I think there has to be a solid stance from clubs that we do not want this. When the challenge cup fixtures come out I'd like to see any club playing a Colt to have very low attendance turn outs. If St Mirren are one I won't be there for sure.

So many people have said they'd walk away if the Colt idea comes to. Can completely understand this and surely any spfl bribe to smaller clubs won't be enough to financially compensate losing fans.

On 2017-6-22 at 00:06, roman_bairn said:

We need to boycott ALL U20 games, or this will happen.

If people are serious about a mass boycott then that doesn't go far enough IMO.

If the SPFL won't back down then there needs to be a full no-platform. Non-attendance & picket line outside all cup games no matter whether it involves a colt team or not.

Caveat: I haven't been to a competitive game in 5 years so it's not really my place to say, I suppose :lol:

If people are serious about a mass boycott then that doesn't go far enough IMO.
If the SPFL won't back down then there needs to be a full no-platform. Non-attendance & picket line outside all cup games no matter whether it involves a colt team or not.
Caveat: I haven't been to a competitive game in 5 years so it's not really my place to say, I suppose :lol:

I think some people are writing to their clubs to register their concern.

I genuinely won't attend any games against U20 teams...although it needs to be said that Falkirk are exempt from Round 1 so are not highly likely to face them this year anyway.

18 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Would be firebantz if Stranraer were against it. 

Stranraer were the only club in the four divisions to reject allowing the Tribute Act slither into the Third Division - I've fairly high hopes that they'll send this proposal into the conveniently located sea. 

This should be a prelude to a complete rejection and dismantling of Project Brave. Proposals dreamt up by a weirdo alliance of Hamish Husband types obsessed by international football and self-declared 'elite' clubs wishing to impost their own idea on the rest of the club game in Scotland; fronted by a racist and misogynistic cretin with no relevant qualifications for his role. Scottish club football is doing perfectly fine and securing its integrity ought to trump the needs of a gubbins and irrelevant international team or a handful of clubs remaining in European competition past June/July. 

Archived