'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't dispute any of that but I'll still f*** off and leave the field clear for the young uns in their over-priced Barcelona tops. And I'll be safe in the knowledge that I've long since seen the best that Scotland had to offer in both club and international football terms - they will be very unlikely ever to make that claim, especially with this latest crock of shit.  If clubs wish bank on the blue and green pound, then all the more reason to exit.

I'm not disagreeing with your outlook on this, just pointing out that in my opinion those who are running the game think that guys and girls like you who will walk away will be replaced. If the introduction of colt teams is not for money, then why do it? The integrity of the senior game should be the first priority of club chairmen, but it won't be. All of them are driven by money.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not having this "it will happen regardless" chat. Rangers keeping their place in the top flight didn't happen because the fans spoke up. The will of the fans cannot be ignored by chairmen if we speak up again.

Doncaster is the single greatest threat to the Scottish game. He probably thinks he's brilliant but in reality he's a fat dick and I could have done more than he's ever done in his position.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

I'm 100% against Colt teams in the league (can't say I'm a fan of them in the Challenge Cup either but it looks like that ship has sailed). However if we are going to have Colt sides why should Rangers get a side in the league? Their development / colt team is shite. Surely it should be the best teams coming in i.e. Ross County and Hamilton?

The thing is would teams like RC and Hamilton be able to afford to run a full colts team alongside their first team and up coming  reserve sides? Your going to have to have a lot of players on your books 

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The thing is would teams like RC and Hamilton be able to afford to run a full colts team alongside their first team and up coming  reserve sides? Your going to have to have a lot of players on your books 

Ross County probably would (Uncle Roy) but not so sure about Hamilton. Shame as both seem have more success at development level than the likes of Rangers.

I'm completely against Colts in the league, I hope the fans of the other 40 clubs make their thoughts known to each club. I've already emailed St Mirren about it in the past and just got back they can't discuss until more information is known. Need to get a petition going as well for this, 'No to coults in Scottish football' Sick and tired of the SPFL and SFA pandering to the bigot brother! 

I posted this on another thread. Why are the SFA and SPFL leaders not democratically elected? They should be voted on every 3-4 years, Doncaster and Regan would be long gone by now. One farce after another. Exactly like trying to push through the 12-12-18 rubbish when it was clearly not wanted. 

5 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I'm not having this "it will happen regardless" chat. Rangers keeping their place in the top flight didn't happen because the fans spoke up. The will of the fans cannot be ignored by chairmen if we speak up again.

Doncaster is the single greatest threat to the Scottish game. He probably thinks he's brilliant but in reality he's a fat dick and I could have done more than he's ever done in his position.

I will ask our chairman at our AGM what the actual plan is regarding colt teams and how it is going to affect lower league clubs .   He is the lower league rep on the SPFL board and hates any criticism of the SPFL and Doncaster. No doubt there will be some form of armageddon again if everyone doesn't conform. 

I messaged SMISA last night who are the supporters club behind our fan buyout. They said they would canvas fan opinion if the club asked them to do but ultimately right now it would be a board decision. I think any fan owned club or club moving towards fan ownership would be playing a very dangerous game if they were to make a decision on this without consulting fans. Especially if they were in favor of it when fan opinion seems overwhelmingly negative. 

A thought, if they are going to start these Colt sides in the Highland or Lowland League why are those clubs not being consulted on the plans?

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

:lol:

The people making these decisions wouldn't even be able to name half of the clubs in those leagues. 

It's fucking ridiculous. As mentioned by FTOF imagine being a fan of a club like Alloa. Winning the league is pretty much the best thing you could dream of as a fan. You get that taken by by Celtic U21s who can't even get promoted.

Then imagine you are a fan of Cove Rangers. The same scenario above applies but the governing body thinks so little of your side that they aren't even invited to give feedback on the proposal that sees these clubs dumped into your league.

Laughable.

18 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

I'm completely against Colts in the league, I hope the fans of the other 40 clubs make their thoughts known to each club. I've already emailed St Mirren about it in the past and just got back they can't discuss until more information is known. Need to get a petition going as well for this, 'No to coults in Scottish football' Sick and tired of the SPFL and SFA pandering to the bigot brother! 

I posted this on another thread. Why are the SFA and SPFL leaders not democratically elected? They should be voted on every 3-4 years, Doncaster and Regan would be long gone by now. One farce after another. Exactly like trying to push through the 12-12-18 rubbish when it was clearly not wanted. 

Poor Lewis. :(

Of course, what is happening now should not come as any surprise. When the SFL was taken over by the SPL the SPLrs wanted to close out part-time teams from the top two divisions, to regionalise what was to be below and at the time floated the colt team idea. This is just another way of achieving it. The SPFL bods care not a jot what the fans think. They don't understand the affinity of following a team and all of its attendant highs and lows. Sad to predict that if the SPFL high head yins want Colt teams in their league, it will happen. Problem is that there is not a cohesive fans body that can present a case to them to disabuse them of their idea. The whole concept is being dressed up as player development and of course it's nothing of the sort. 

As I said before "we'll get it rammed up us whether we like it or not" 

personally I wouldn't like to see this happening, but you can't argue that this would only mean more money for the big city teams. When the rangers worked their way back through the leagues, they filled every stadium they played in along the way. 

I know that it was a huge boost to the Pars coffers, and I'm told that East Fife's fortunes were changed drastically with the blue pound. 

Spoiler

Have always been against the idea of allowing one club to have more than one team in the league set-up. Did not think they should have been involved in the Challenge Cup either which was meant to be for lower league clubs, probably should have been done last year but would suggest any game involving colt teams should be ignored by league clubs fans. Believe there were some very poor crowds at these games last year but it would highlight our disgust at it if it happened at every game say with crowds in the 10s rather than 100s or go along on the day & protest outside the ground it may make chairmen think about not selling off our leagues for a few pennies

54 minutes ago, peternapper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Have always been against the idea of allowing one club to have more than one team in the league set-up. Did not think they should have been involved in the Challenge Cup either which was meant to be for lower league clubs, probably should have been done last year but would suggest any game involving colt teams should be ignored by league clubs fans. Believe there were some very poor crowds at these games last year but it would highlight our disgust at it if it happened at every game say with crowds in the 10s rather than 100s or go along on the day & protest outside the ground it may make chairmen think about not selling off our leagues for a few pennies

Couldn't agree more, as soon as the first round of fixtures for the Challenge Cup comes out fans of the opposing clubs should vote with their feet. Only way to make our voices heard at the higher level. I won't be going near a game against a Colt team this season and if St Mirren back getting them in the league without consulting fans and taking their opinion I won't be going near a game period. They can consider this the last season ticket I'll ever buy, not to mention paying money to the club for the fan buyout. 

1 hour ago, P475 said:

As I said before "we'll get it rammed up us whether we like it or not" 

personally I wouldn't like to see this happening, but you can't argue that this would only mean more money for the big city teams. When the rangers worked their way back through the leagues, they filled every stadium they played in along the way. 

I know that it was a huge boost to the Pars coffers, and I'm told that East Fife's fortunes were changed drastically with the blue pound. 

People don't and wouldn't turn up in their thousands to watch Forfar (for example) vs Rangers U20s though. This was evident during the early rounds of the Challenge Cup last season. I really hope the plans fall through. 

Archived