The bigger picture

Donathan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's absolutely no doubt that slayerx is oftw.

I'll be amazed if he's a genuinely new poster rather than an alias.

Oftw? Does that mean off the wall?

No. I'm definitely new. :)

Edit: OK. I just checked. Apparently I registered in 2010, however, I only began posting recently.

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

One for the watching.

So... you're paranoid? And come on, that does kind of sound stalkerish. You'll be watching me? What are you, Sting?

I may see being labelled "weird" as a compliment, but the fact that you'll be watching me... errr... that's less cool. And people think I'm weird. :lol:

PS: "Off the wall" is better.

Lads/ladies!!

You've spent over a page and a half moving back and forth with the most inane chat. Take it to a private message board and insult each other or, to be even more boring, try and pick apart the pish patter of trolls. The rest of us would like to chat about fitba.

If someone cares to come onto the forum to insult someone personally let them do it. Just ignore it and they'll go elsewhere.

To get it back on track, the bigger picture for me is this; We still have four games left and we still have a chance at the playoffs. We have a straight choice as fans. We can choose to believe that the mathematical possibilities will play out in reality, or we can choose to believe that they won't. How you choose is up to you. I choose to operate under the assumption that we will win all four. I choose to believe this as I believe it is the most helpful and constructive course of action. We may lose and I'll be more disappointed than if I'd just chosen to believe that we're incapable of winning all four. I'm prepared for this as I believe it's worth the risk. 

There's another reason. Studies in psychology have shown that people have a habit of living up or down to your expectations depending on the message conveyed. If you expect someone to perform in a certain way and continually reinforce this message, then they will tailor their behaviour to that expectation. If you tell someone that they can't win and that they won't, then it increases the chances of that outcome. We are defined by those around us. If we act in a way which says that we can perform and can win then it increases the chances of this outcome. 

I choose optimism both because it is better for my mental health and because it gives a much better chance of us qualifying.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Lads/ladies!!

You've spent over a page and a half moving back and forth with the most inane chat. Take it to a private message board and insult each other or, to be even more boring, try and pick apart the pish patter of trolls. The rest of us would like to chat about fitba.

If someone cares to come onto the forum to insult someone personally let them do it. Just ignore it and they'll go elsewhere.

To get it back on track, the bigger picture for me is this; We still have four games left and we still have a chance at the playoffs. We have a straight choice as fans. We can choose to believe that the mathematical possibilities will play out in reality, or we can choose to believe that they won't. How you choose is up to you. I choose to operate under the assumption that we will win all four. I choose to believe this as I believe it is the most helpful and constructive course of action. We may lose and I'll be more disappointed than if I'd just chosen to believe that we're incapable of winning all four. I'm prepared for this as I believe it's worth the risk. 

There's another reason. Studies in psychology have shown that people have a habit of living up or down to your expectations depending on the message conveyed. If you expect someone to perform in a certain way and continually reinforce this message, then they will tailor their behaviour to that expectation. If you tell someone that they can't win and that they won't, then it increases the chances of that outcome. We are defined by those around us. If we act in a way which says that we can perform and can win then it increases the chances of this outcome. 

I choose optimism both because it is better for my mental health and because it gives a much better chance of us qualifying.

Well, I wasn't going to be the one to say it.

Can we qualify? Yes. It's still possible until it's mathematically impossible. The people who are saying that we "won't" qualify", should just say that it's "improbable".

Can't fathom why people get so worked up about other people being optimistic.. it's not like anyone is saying we've got a great chance of qualifying, just that it is do-able by winning the next 4 games. That may be unlikely based on previous experience but we all know much more unlikely things have happened in football than Scotland winning 4 games in a row and if people want to have a bit of hope rather than be a miserable b*****d expecting the worst all the time then what does it matter.

3 hours ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

or you could stop being deluded as f**k. we wont win 4 games in a row, when was the last time we actually managed to win more than 2 in a row

Just had a look, because I am utterly bored in work. 

Back in 2015 we beat Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and then Qatar. Obviously Gibraltar being the only competitive game. 

Competitively, I think you need to go back to 2006, beating the Faroes at Parkhead, Lithuania away and then France at home.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just had a look, because I am utterly bored in work. 

Back in 2015 we beat Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and then Qatar. Obviously Gibraltar being the only competitive game. 

Competitively, I think you need to go back to 2006, beating the Faroes at Parkhead, Lithuania away and then France at home.

We actually won 4 qualifiers in a row in 2007 (and 6 games in a row overall):

30 May 2007 Gerhard Hanappi Stadium, Vienna (A) 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria 1–0 Friendly Garry O'Connor 13,200 [3]
6 June 2007 Svangaskarð, Toftir (A) 21px-Flag_of_the_Faroe_Islands.svg.png Faroe Islands 2–0 Euro 2008 qualifying Shaun Maloney, Garry O'Connor 4,600 [3]
22 August 2007 Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen (H) 23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa 1–0 Friendly Kris Boyd 13,723 [3]
8 September 2007 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 3–1 Euro 2008 qualifying Kris Boyd, Stephen McManus, James McFadden 51,349 [3]
12 September 2007 Parc des Princes, Paris (A) 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 1–0 Euro 2008 qualifying James McFadden 43,342 [3]
13 October 2007 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 3–1 Euro 2008 qualifying Kenny Miller, Lee McCulloch, James McFadden 51,366 [3]

17 hours ago, velo army said:

I choose optimism because it gives a much better chance of us qualifying.

Does it though?

As I'd argued earlier in the thread, unless it was in another one - we seem to go into every campaign feeling optimistic... We then drop points we shouldn't - or at least can't afford to - but continuing feeling optimistic about increasingly unlikely chances, drag ourselves back closer, but ultimately fail... We then seem to feel it's unfortunate, or bad luck.

It's not certain this campaign will also end in failure but it's the likelier outcome.

Maybe steeling ourselves with realism from the off and counting every point a prisoner would be better.

22 hours ago, velo army said:

Studies in psychology have shown that people have a habit of living up or down to your expectations depending on the message conveyed. If you expect someone to perform in a certain way and continually reinforce this message, then they will tailor their behaviour to that expectation. If you tell someone that they can't win and that they won't, then it increases the chances of that outcome. We are defined by those around us. If we act in a way which says that we can perform and can win then it increases the chances of this outcome. 

It's my belief too that people have a habit of living up or down to expectations.

I know however, on account of being an adult, that my own expectations are utterly incapable of having even the remotest impact.  Strachan's might though and he's been keen to stress to his players from the outset that they're very limited.

This belief helps lead me to conclude that we are very unlikely to go on the necessary winning run.

Archived