The bigger picture

Donathan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/06/2017 at 08:29, forameus said:

I'd think of it as a bigger picture than just the qualifying campaign to be honest.  The cold facts are that even if we do win our final 4 games - which is certainly possible although unlikely - we are likely to miss out anyway as the odd group out.  If that happens we'll get the usual hard luck storylines, but it's our own fault, just like it'll be Slovakia/Slovenia's own fault if they get the same.

But, if I was in charge of the team, I'd be getting them into the mindset to forget about qualifying from now.  Historically we've never managed pressure well, winning the unwinnable and then expertly fucking up the winnable.  It's highly unlikely we'll qualify,  but the difference 4 wins from 4 would make going into the next campaign would be massive.  2020 is going to be our best chance to qualify, either the normal way or through the Nations League, so it's imperative we take some kind of momentum in there.  

We win our last 4 games it will be enough even 3 wins and draw will be enough to be in the top 8 best 2nd place. 

1 hour ago, kenny131 said:

We win our last 4 games it will be enough even 3 wins and draw will be enough to be in the top 8 best 2nd place. 

How you working that out?

In the extremely unlikely event of us winning our last 4 games we will finish on 20 points.  If Slovakia win 3 of their last 4 they will finish on 21 points.

We are very much in miracle required territory here of course.  I know the 'it's possible' brigade will cling to the slightest chance and why not.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

How you working that out?

In the extremely unlikely event of us winning our last 4 games we will finish on 20 points.  If Slovakia win 3 of their last 4 they will finish on 21 points.

We are very much in miracle required territory here of course.  I know the 'it's possible' brigade will cling to the slightest chance and why not.

We will beat slovakia at Hampden and England will beat slovakia. If we win away at Lithuania is very much on in my opinion it will all be on the away match at Slovenia. We had shite start to the group but we are no push overs at Hampden 6 points in our next 2 then I believe we will go into slovakia game with a packed out hampden and get the win we need. It will be a winner takes all in our last game to finish 2nd

Plus, on the "bigger picture" thing: John McGinn will be in the (Insert what they're calling the top tier of Scottish football, as they change it every year) next season, Burke's club manager has promised him more starts next season, with any luck Gauld will get a move (He will stay abroad) and begin getting games under his belt, Patterson will kick on with Cardiff, Lindsey will either get a move (sorry Thistle fans) or he gets called up, no matter who he's with. Cairney will get a move to the EPL. McBurnie gets more starts for Swansea. Nicholson, Walker and Souttar (All three with Hearts) continue their improvement.

Anybody else care to contribute?

We will beat slovakia at Hampden and England will beat slovakia. If we win away at Lithuania is very much on in my opinion it will all be on the away match at Slovenia. We had shite start to the group but we are no push overs at Hampden 6 points in our next 2 then I believe we will go into slovakia game with a packed out hampden and get the win we need. It will be a winner takes all in our last game to finish 2nd

Slovakia are a considerably better side than Scotland. You'd think the 3-0 shoeing that you received in Trnava would have taught you that lesson, but here we are.

Scotland will probably flop in Lithuania but have no chance of qualifying regardless.

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm sure that response made sense in your head.

When I hear the word "considerably", Harry Enfield automatically comes to mind.

Maybe you didn't have a TV in the 90's.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

Maybe that's because it's 2017 now and we're not all tragic, middle-aged men tbh.

No. Some of us are humourless moaners who, ironically, is a 90's Italian football icon as their avator.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think you'll find that AC Jimbo's best work is contemporary so that's not actually ironic.

Hard lines.

1497387817272.jpg

"AC Jimbo"? Ah. So you're a hipster?

And nice photograph... and you think my link made no sense? LOL!

And I think you'll find that his name is actually James, you hipster.

Don't give him a nickname like you know how. Jeez.

I literally cringed when you said "AC Jimbo". Wow...

OK. As you were. Nothing to see here.

Plus, on the "bigger picture" thing: John McGinn will be in the (Insert what they're calling the top tier of Scottish football, as they change it every year) next season, Burke's club manager has promised him more starts next season, with any luck Gauld will get a move (He will stay abroad) and begin getting games under his belt, Patterson will kick on with Cardiff, Lindsey will either get a move (sorry Thistle fans) or he gets called up, no matter who he's with. Cairney will get a move to the EPL. McBurnie gets more starts for Swansea. Nicholson, Walker and Souttar (All three with Hearts) continue their improvement.
Anybody else care to contribute?

Hope you're right but that's all best case scenario stuff there. In reality if two of those players make a big splash somewhere we'll be doing better than normal.

I reckon Burke and Gauld are the two most likely "leading lights" out of that lot.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Hope you're right but that's all best case scenario stuff there. In reality if two of those players make a big splash somewhere we'll be doing better than normal.

I reckon Burke and Gauld are the two most likely "leading lights" out of that lot.

Absolutely right.

I think optimism is in our DNA, unfortunately, that's what ends up killing us.

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Slovakia are a considerably better side than Scotland. You'd think the 3-0 shoeing that you received in Trnava would have taught you that lesson, but here we are.

Scotland will probably flop in Lithuania but have no chance of qualifying regardless.

The 3 nil game we started really well then threw the towel in, the starting line up that game was much different from our last 2 games. They are not considerably better than us and we will avenge that result at Hampden 100%. When we do i can see you in your local saying I told ya we would beat them.

Also the highlighted bit above indicates your not a Scotland fan and don't class yourself as scottish so why are you on here.

3 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

The 3 nil game we started really well then threw the towel in, the starting line up that game was much different from our last 2 games.

You got horsed by a much better team - those are simply piss-poor excuses.

They are not considerably better than us and we will avenge that result at Hampden 100%. 

They are considerably better than Scotland. As shown by their best players being far better than the English Championship dross in the Scotland team, the fact that they horsed Scotland in the last meeting between the sides and the fact that they both qualify for and progress from the group stages of international tournaments. An outcome that no Scotland side has ever achieved, and tournaments that Scotland have failed to qualify for over fully twenty years. 

If Slovakia secure a win at home to Slovenia then they will be progressing to the World Cup again; Scotland aren't even in the running. 

Also the highlighted bit above indicates your not a Scotland fan and don't class yourself as scottish so why are you on here.

I classify myself as Scottish but don't give a shit about the international team; as opposed to the ninety minute nationalists in the gormless Tartan Army who in all their other actions choose to be north British.

When idiots like yourself peddle claims about the standard of opposition then it will be pointed and laughed at on an open forum like P and B. And so here we are. If you have a problem with this then feel free to post your drivel on the TAMB instead. 

Archived