Football League 2017/18 season

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Naitch said:

Ipswich vs Norwich about to start. Cracking atmosphere by the look of it.

If you like the word "shit" being shouted repeatedly in a fucking horrible accent then yes, it's magnificent.

It was always just a matter of time after Grayson was appointed but I didn't think it'd be as bad as this. I thought he'd have them safely out of the play off places around lower mid table.

Getting rid of Grayson is the right call, but that club needs a new owner. Ellis Short has steadily ruined them to the point where League One football next season seems to be a real possibility. Noticed on Twitter that they've now equalled the worst home record ever.

Games - 19

Won - 0

Drawn - 7

Lost - 12

In the whole of 2017, last night was the ONLY time they've been in the lead in a home game, and it lasted for 2 minutes...

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Mate of mine is a Sunderland season ticket holder. I asked who he wanted as next manager and he replied with this guy......13adb67341c4004de899651ec3e9c589.jpg

Possibility actually, he's from South Shields and is a big Sunderland fan. Can't see him being a popular appointment though.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Was hoping they'd keep Grayson on until after the game on Sunday. They're in such a dreadful tailspin that I (hopefully) can't see a new manager making much of a dent in the short term though.

Billy McKinlay and Robbie Stockdale are in charge for Sunday's game, can't see past a comfortable win for Boro, particularly after their good win at Hull last night. Have seen Aitor Karanka's name linked with the job, think that would be a decent appointment? 

8 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Billy McKinlay and Robbie Stockdale are in charge for Sunday's game, can't see past a comfortable win for Boro, particularly after their good win at Hull last night. Have seen Aitor Karanka's name linked with the job, think that would be a decent appointment? 

I'd say so. He's a very pragmatic manager (evidently picked up a lot whilst Mourinho's assistant) and could certainly steady the ship. He did very well at Championship level at 'boro, the issue was when we went up to the Premier and eeking out 1-0's wasn't really an option against better quality opposition, meaning that we essentially went down with a bit of a whimper. I wouldn't have had him keen for the Sunderland job with them in such a state on and off the pitch, but he'd be a good appointment if he was.

16 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I'd say so. He's a very pragmatic manager (evidently picked up a lot whilst Mourinho's assistant) and could certainly steady the ship. He did very well at Championship level at 'boro, the issue was when we went up to the Premier and eeking out 1-0's wasn't really an option against better quality opposition, meaning that we essentially went down with a bit of a whimper. I wouldn't have had him keen for the Sunderland job with them in such a state on and off the pitch, but he'd be a good appointment if he was.

I think he'd be a good appointment, he did seem to reinvigorate Boro after Gordon Strachan, Tony Mowbray etc but with Sunderland being in such a well-documented mess, I can't see him being at all interested. Probably be better to stick a fiver on John O'Shea getting some ludicrous Player/Manager gig.

I'm sure Karanka would do a good job, although he is a manager who likes to build a strong defence over time so unsure how easy it would be to sort them out quickly, which they clearly need. He still lives in the area so that may be why he's linked, but still can't imagine he'd be that keen on it.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Come on Stew behave yourself :lol: 

1 hour ago, tbone stag said:

Your awful attempts at "banter" are as welcome here as they are in the premier league thread.

Thanks tbone. It's really all about the Champions League thread again now though ... :) 

Archived