Football League 2017/18 season

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

I'm sure Herman could throw some light on why young Ferguson walked out on Doncaster. Jumped or pushed?

moot point at the moment; he'd made noises before the end of the season that the transfer budget he had been allocated did not cover realistic promotion ambitions, was evidently told that the new season's figure would be increased - which is was - but only to the extent of being "index linked" so it essentially stayed the same, so you can make a good case for him having thrown in the towel and walked. however, rumour has it that the board felt undermined by his earlier comments and pretty much did the bare minimum to keep to their stated aim of increasing the expenditure while, in real terms, allocating no additional funds - which gave DF a hefty shove towards the door; it's also suspected that his contract - a rolling year on year arrangement - had a fixed period of grace during which either side could terminate with no compensation being sought by the club if he took up a new job, and nothing to be paid up if he walked, so calling it quits now suited both parties as any new employers will not have to pay rovers anything for his services.

in two minds myself - i liked the bloke, principled sort of guy who didnt take any shit, and the club were where they should be, in the great scheme of things - mid table third division shite

that said, there were some spectacular failures - the end of season implosion and throwing away the title in 2016/17 was a joke, and some of the football was gutless, which i always find hard to take bearing in mind the effort expended to watch the fuckers on the odd occasion i do get off my arse and go; couldn't give a shit about the quality of football on show - the end always justifies the means, but meek surrender has me absolutely incandescent, and that happened a few times

successors - a generally meh selection - stuart mccall, paul tisdale, simon grayson, russ wilcox - not too enamoured with any of those; michael appleton would suit me - bloke bears a grudge, calls a spade a fucking b*****d cunting spade, demands 100% effort and looks pretty unhinged - guaranteed to go down in a flurry of flailing fists and an appalling disciplinary record - the perfect antidote to three years of pretty grey fare !

56 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

moot point at the moment; he'd made noises before the end of the season that the transfer budget he had been allocated did not cover realistic promotion ambitions, was evidently told that the new season's figure would be increased - which is was - but only to the extent of being "index linked" so it essentially stayed the same, so you can make a good case for him having thrown in the towel and walked. however, rumour has it that the board felt undermined by his earlier comments and pretty much did the bare minimum to keep to their stated aim of increasing the expenditure while, in real terms, allocating no additional funds - which gave DF a hefty shove towards the door; it's also suspected that his contract - a rolling year on year arrangement - had a fixed period of grace during which either side could terminate with no compensation being sought by the club if he took up a new job, and nothing to be paid up if he walked, so calling it quits now suited both parties as any new employers will not have to pay rovers anything for his services.

in two minds myself - i liked the bloke, principled sort of guy who didnt take any shit, and the club were where they should be, in the great scheme of things - mid table third division shite

that said, there were some spectacular failures - the end of season implosion and throwing away the title in 2016/17 was a joke, and some of the football was gutless, which i always find hard to take bearing in mind the effort expended to watch the fuckers on the odd occasion i do get off my arse and go; couldn't give a shit about the quality of football on show - the end always justifies the means, but meek surrender has me absolutely incandescent, and that happened a few times

successors - a generally meh selection - stuart mccall, paul tisdale, simon grayson, russ wilcox - not too enamoured with any of those; michael appleton would suit me - bloke bears a grudge, calls a spade a fucking b*****d cunting spade, demands 100% effort and looks pretty unhinged - guaranteed to go down in a flurry of flailing fists and an appalling disciplinary record - the perfect antidote to three years of pretty grey fare !

Interesting thanks. Sounds a bit like both sides had had enough of each other.

Genuine question. Why would Doncaster not be interested in Saints Tommy Wright? Despite his run of success he is never mentioned for lower league English jobs where other less successful Scottish managers have been. We think him not being a young, trendy manager isn't helping him. Would a seasoned manager from the Scottish Pub League not go down too well with the locals in Donny?

19 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Genuine question. Why would Doncaster not be interested in Saints Tommy Wright? Despite his run of success he is never mentioned for lower league English jobs where other less successful Scottish managers have been. We think him not being a young, trendy manager isn't helping him. Would a seasoned manager from the Scottish Pub League not go down too well with the locals in Donny?

no real quantifiable reason from the DRFC perspective - Rovers have always had quite an affinity with Irishmen, so certainly nothing along those lines; inevitably the "not managed in england" thing would come up, as would the complete lack of understanding of anything north of the border on the part of the locals so there'd be little or no concept or appreciation of what he's achieved, but i should have thought the biggest stumbling block would be from Wright quite rightly thinking that he's better than the likes of Doncaster ! There's nowt to offer him - no real budget, no real ambition other than the usual soundbites, nothing that would be more attractive than cup finals, european football, crossing swords with properly decent clubs - it'd be a huge step down from him - the standard in league one is a very, very long way below the championship and i'd have though that it'd take a biggish club at that level with genuine EPL aspirations to warrant him chucking it in up there...

From Stan ... 

Villa.

1. Losing £5m PM.

2. Still haven't got £2m HMRC payment.

3. Can't use BMH as loan collateral to get £2m as bank won't let us loan  against assets.

4. Owner can't get money from China 

5. £22m overdraft facility withdrawn 

6. 3rd year parachute payment already lent against

Looks like that play off final defeat could prove disastrous. 

They employed John Terry and paid him tens of thousands of pounds a week.  I won’t be shedding a tear.  A team like them going under will be a nice wake up all to clubs in England.  They happily prostitute themselves out to any sugar daddy going.

36 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

From Stan ... 

Villa.

1. Losing £5m PM.

2. Still haven't got £2m HMRC payment.

3. Can't use BMH as loan collateral to get £2m as bank won't let us loan  against assets.

4. Owner can't get money from China 

5. £22m overdraft facility withdrawn 

6. 3rd year parachute payment already lent against

Looks like that play off final defeat could prove disastrous. 

Sounds like my financial situation in my final year at Uni.

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

They employed John Terry and paid him tens of thousands of pounds a week.  I won’t be shedding a tear.  A team like them going under will be a nice wake up all to clubs in England.  They happily prostitute themselves out to any sugar daddy going.

JT was paid £100000 a week never mind tens of thousand.

21 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

no real quantifiable reason from the DRFC perspective - Rovers have always had quite an affinity with Irishmen, so certainly nothing along those lines; inevitably the "not managed in england" thing would come up, as would the complete lack of understanding of anything north of the border on the part of the locals so there'd be little or no concept or appreciation of what he's achieved, but i should have thought the biggest stumbling block would be from Wright quite rightly thinking that he's better than the likes of Doncaster ! There's nowt to offer him - no real budget, no real ambition other than the usual soundbites, nothing that would be more attractive than cup finals, european football, crossing swords with properly decent clubs - it'd be a huge step down from him - the standard in league one is a very, very long way below the championship and i'd have though that it'd take a biggish club at that level with genuine EPL aspirations to warrant him chucking it in up there...

I know where you're coming from but don't think he's fashionable enough for a Championship club so a perceived step down to move up might be the only way.  Such is the financial gulf these days that the no budget at Donny would probably be much bigger than the no budget at Saints! There's a feeling that Tommy's actually happy with his lot and only one or two jobs would tempt him away.  Don't know if that's true or not but even if it is I'm still surprised he's never been mentioned for any lower league roles at all. The less successful Derek Adams hasn't done too badly after all. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Should be good, loads of teams I haven’t seen us play in League One & Two.

I’ve always been slightly envious of the likes of Coventry and Portsmouth fans who must have near completed the 92 ! 

18 hours ago, 7-2 said:

I know where you're coming from but don't think he's fashionable enough for a Championship club so a perceived step down to move up might be the only way.  Such is the financial gulf these days that the no budget at Donny would probably be much bigger than the no budget at Saints! There's a feeling that Tommy's actually happy with his lot and only one or two jobs would tempt him away.  Don't know if that's true or not but even if it is I'm still surprised he's never been mentioned for any lower league roles at all. The less successful Derek Adams hasn't done too badly after all. Cheers.

just pitched his name on the Rovers forum - I'll post updates as the witless, uninformed opinions start to flow - seems to be a far more viable proposition that the vast majority of the other tired old names being thrown about, mind !

edit: not started well - now trying to get their heads round the concept that maintaining a competitive side when up measured against the "second tier" of SPL clubs is not the same as having just managed in SFL2 - talk about casting pearls before swine - FFS.....

edit: "It’s a decent shout but wasnt he caught up in the bung stings that we’re going on around the time of Big Sams England departure?!"

edit: his win rate his higher than Darren Ferguson's - we may want him after all - hurrah ! but then again, that may be an irrelevant stat - as you were...

5 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

just pitched his name on the Rovers forum - I'll post updates as the witless, uninformed opinions start to flow - seems to be a far more viable proposition that the vast majority of the other tired old names being thrown about, mind !

edit: not started well - now trying to get their heads round the concept that maintaining a competitive side when up measured against the "second tier" of SPL clubs is not the same as having just managed in SFL2 - talk about casting pearls before swine - FFS.....

edit: "It’s a decent shout but wasnt he caught up in the bung stings that we’re going on around the time of Big Sams England departure?!"

edit: his win rate his higher than Darren Ferguson's - we may want him after all - hurrah ! but then again, that may be an irrelevant stat - as you were...

Ha! Excellent thanks. Have you got a link so I can dip in and save replication on here?

Archived