Positives from today

kenny131

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We don't need a Bale, we're a centre half from being able to qualify. Its the mentality that must change, everyone walking out the ground yesterday was talking about how Scottish that result was, we've ingrained failure into our psyche to the point we can't get past it.

Sums it up for me , people saying we need a bale or whatever is nonsense the northern Irish bunch are an examp,e to look at and see that's not required. And as u said going a goal up late in the match should fill you with confidence. But it never seems to work out that way for us. That last minute goal still cuts very deep this morning.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very unlikely but 4 wins accompanied by a piss poor England team winning their remaining home games (Slovakia, Slovenia) and we finish 2nd. Whether that will be a good enough points total for a play off spot only time will tell.

Negatives not shipping that last minute equaliser would have meant 4 wins would have put us second no matter what!

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

have a wee look back at the top of page 37 and the bottom of page 80 on the Scotland v England thread before and after the game bawbag

I'm not doing all that.

You're a grown man, please refrain from using "bawbag" like a child. 

4 hours ago, Disco30 said:

Sums it up for me , people saying we need a bale or whatever is nonsense the northern Irish bunch are an examp,e to look at and see that's not required. And as u said going a goal up late in the match should fill you with confidence. But it never seems to work out that way for us. That last minute goal still cuts very deep this morning.

I didn't say we needed one. But having a genuine world class player provided a short cut to success for Wales, which I note they are struggling to maintain. Northern Ireland are a bit of an exception these days. They're not very good to watch but benefited from a favourable qualifying draw a few years ago. Both will revert to their previous standing eventually.

This result isn't what will cost us in the end its the utter dross performances we had against Lithuania and Slovakia. Stuff like the happens all the time for Scotland and i doubt it will ever change.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I didn't say we needed one. But having a genuine world class player provided a short cut to success for Wales, which I note they are struggling to maintain. Northern Ireland are a bit of an exception these days. They're not very good to watch but benefited from a favourable qualifying draw a few years ago. Both will revert to their previous standing eventually.

Northern ireland, Yes they fluked the last qualify campaign then fluked it to the knock out rnds. No way will they do anything this campaign.........!!!

I thought we did well today but if you are honest we should have lost and got out of jail based on two wonder-strikes by Griffiths. Up to then the consensus of everyone around me was that we had not pressed enough and were about to pay dearly.

That's not honesty, that's crazy talk. There was absolutely no reason to say we should have lost. We played well and although Gordon made a couple of saves, they were far from all over the goal, BBC say 9 shots on target.

Griffiths goals were not some get out of jail efforts, they were two excellent free kicks.

Scotland have plenty of bad matches on their own without finding reason to look as negatively as possible on the decent performances that we do have.

That's not honesty, that's crazy talk. There was absolutely no reason to say we should have lost. We played well and although Gordon made a couple of saves, they were far from all over the goal, BBC say 9 shots on target.

Griffiths goals were not some get out of jail efforts, they were two excellent free kicks.

Scotland have plenty of bad matches on their own without finding reason to look as negatively as possible on the decent performances that we do have.

Honestly, I struggle to remember us threatening to score up to the free kicks nor forcing Hart into a challenging save.

We had one tame effort on target prior to the free kicks.

We did well, but without wanting to be negative, I don't think we played well.

35 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Northern ireland, Yes they fluked the last qualify campaign then fluked it to the knock out rnds. No way will they do anything this campaign.........!!!

They have less to do, after having a bit of success recently. I also didn't say that they had returned to their previous level, but I expect they will. They are a small nation punching above their weight for the time being. (I await the inevitable post about small nations doing well.)

The draw with Lithuania and gubbing off Slovakia is what will cost us. 

We have a decent enough team, it's our mentality that is really poor. Individual errors cost us goals yesterday, not moments of special football. 

Positives: we got a draw against a far superior team after getting beat 1-0. Yeah it's not the best England team ever, but, man for man, they are miles better than us. Griffiths finally managed to get his first Scotland goals that should give him a confidence boost. 

Remarkably we've still got a shout of finishing second. We probably won't though. 

Honestly, I struggle to remember us threatening to score up to the free kicks nor forcing Hart into a challenging save.

We had one tame effort on target prior to the free kicks.

We did well, but without wanting to be negative, I don't think we played well.

I agree we didn't threaten them much but my point was that they struggled to break through us as well with only a few shots in target.

They weren't so much better than us that we should be saying we should have lost. The fact is that they were the ones who needed the last-minute equaliser.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I agree we didn't threaten them much but my point was that they struggled to break through us as well with only a few shots in target.

They weren't so much better than us that we should be saying we should have lost. The fact is that they were the ones who needed the last-minute equaliser.

Yup. They worried a bit for a short spell in the first and second halfs and offered very little outside of that. If not for a massive clusterfuck, Scotland would have come away with three points.

Ireland and Austria just drawn 1-1 leaving second place on 11 points just now. It looks like that section and the Poland section where Macedonia are second with 10 points are the two section that we need to target to better if we want to make the play offs.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We don't need a Bale, we're a centre half from being able to qualify. Its the mentality that must change, everyone walking out the ground yesterday was talking about how Scottish that result was, we've ingrained failure into our psyche to the point we can't get past it.

scotland arent a centre half from being able to qualify, we've scored 4 goals in 5 games outwith the malta game, and yesterday it was two cracking freekicks that got us a point, aside from them joe hart was bored out of his tits, we have nothing much going forward really, unless strachan goes baws oot and plays guys like fraser, burke etc from the start, but lining up at home in a must win game with a 5-4-1 system you really need a "bale" that can pull you out the hole in open play and not hope for free kicks like yesterday

Positives:

- We picked up a point we really didn't expect prior to the game
- We looked the most organised I've seen us in a long, long time.  England struggled to break us down, and although that was partially down to them being pretty turgid and lacking in ideas, we contributed to that.
- Griffiths scored
- We had a wonderful 3 or so minutes
- Comparing that to the other time we've dropped 2 points at Hampden against Lithuania, the performance was night and day.

Not much else beyond that.  A point is more than we thought we'd get, but we should have had 3 had it not been for whatever happened in the last minute.  

Archived