Positives from today

kenny131

Griffiths today was outstanding never stop running the channels and pressing all game and still had enough left at the end for those 2 wonder strikes. Robertson and Tierney are class acts for us all 3 mentioned have plenty years left. Fraser looked good when he came on, we look such a better team when we actually go for it hopefully this will be the catalyst to get rid of the were no good enough attitude let's play for a draw. When we were trying to keep it tight and not concede we were terrible. The sooner we stop setting up at start of games like we're Andorra the sooner we may actually get in position to qualify.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positives?

We're no closer to qualifying for a major tournament than we were 10 years ago.

2 good full backs, but we NEVER looked like beating a poor England team, even when we were temporarily in front.

I really don't know where we go next. I believe we do have some very good Scottish players, but I'm sorry, Strachan and McGhee are utterly clueless as who to pick and how to use them.

Positives?

We're no closer to qualifying for a major tournament than we were 10 years ago.

2 good full backs, but we NEVER looked like beating a poor England team, even when we were temporarily in front.

I really don't know where we go next. I believe we do have some very good Scottish players, but I'm sorry, Strachan and McGhee are utterly clueless as who to pick and how to use them.

You're slagging Strachan after today?

You're absolutely clueless mate. He got every single ounce of effort out of those lads and had them pretty well-organised.

What the f**k do you want?

Griffiths today was outstanding never stop running the channels and pressing all game and still had enough left at the end for those 2 wonder strikes. Robertson and Tierney are class acts for us all 3 mentioned have plenty years left. Fraser looked good when he came on, we look such a better team when we actually go for it hopefully this will be the catalyst to get rid of the were no good enough attitude let's play for a draw. When we were trying to keep it tight and not concede we were terrible. The sooner we stop setting up at start of games like we're Andorra the sooner we may actually get in position to qualify.

It's just not as simple as that.

We can't press them front foot for 90 mins. We don't have the energy or the defensive quality for that.

We need to have a balance, and today we had it pretty well. Sit and let them have the ball in front of us for spells. Be well organised at those points, and hopefully conserve energy.

Then attack with real intent, building some pressure, creating some chances.

Going gung ho would have us picked off at will.

Guest bernardblack

Don't get folk slagging Strachan?

Literally were minutes from beating England?

He got the most out of all those players today and has introduced Fraser, Burke, Tierney and (at a push) Griffiths to the side.

My main criticism would be that a lot of times the midfield looked a bit lost, and some of them didn't seem to know their roles. I've never seen players bunch up as much as they did at international level. Whether that is down to coaching or the players is another matter. Beyond that there are plenty of positives.

Man for man they're considerably better than us. Not even close really.

And you do nearly had it.

Much as I can see your point I thought we were overly defensive at times, playing the ball backwards when we had opportunities to create.

I thought we did well today but if you are honest we should have lost and got out of jail based on two wonder-strikes by Griffiths. Up to then the consensus of everyone around me was that we had not pressed enough and were about to pay dearly.

Ok to put a positive spin on things if we can win in Lithuania and beat Malta at home we will be on 14 points, if Slovenia and Slovakia draw against each other and England then see off Slovakia at Wembley, Slovenia will have 15 points and Slovakia 13 points.

Appreciate there are a few ifs there but these are the most likely results and it would leave us right in there going into the last two games against both of them.

Slovenia then travel to Wembley and we host Slovakia.

I know we would still be dependent on other sections but trying to remain positive.

One things for sure we MUST win in Lithuania.

17 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Don't get folk slagging Strachan?

Literally were minutes from beating England?

He got the most out of all those players today and has introduced Fraser, Burke, Tierney and (at a push) Griffiths to the side.

Getting a draw against the strongest team in the group today should put us in good shape for the next few games but this is were i have a problem with Strachan 
Georgia and Lithuania tells the story strachan needs to be more positive against lesser nations we have the players to do it  

Griffiths breaking his duck will be a huge boist for hus confidence. We wont get anywhere with a static lump up front. Whilst hes not usain bolt griffiths is mobile enough to harass defenders and is a decent finisher. We just need a keeper n some centre halfs.....

England are much, much better than us, whether this is considered a poor English team or not. There's a lot to be said for Strachan and he should be gone, but for all of the things he should be slated for, drawing with England isn't really one of them.

The positive thing is approaching their potential. Even if they reach it though, they still won't be good enough to recover the ground lost in previous years. It's a vicious circle of failing to qualify leading to declining seedings and therefore harder groups.

Robertson, Tierney and one or two others won't be enough to change that and there doesn't seem to be a "Bale" on the horizon.

Tierney shoring up the defence as part of a back 3 might be exactly what's needed with the lack of options coming through. Thought he was excellent yesterday in an unfamiliar role. He's got the potential to go all the way imo

We don't need a Bale, we're a centre half from being able to qualify. Its the mentality that must change, everyone walking out the ground yesterday was talking about how Scottish that result was, we've ingrained failure into our psyche to the point we can't get past it.

Archived