St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has the bubble burst ?

Certainly not

As a club we growing by the week and the committee are working tirelessly to ensure they keep taking the club forward.

On the pitch I think it's clear we are not as good a side as last season but if we can just hit a wee run of form then we will be in the mix for promotion come the run in .

Yesterday tbh was as poor a performance I have witnessed since early season thrashing at Cambuslang and Wishaw but it's how you react to these kind of results which is important and we need a big performance and result now at Lesmahagow on Saturday.

It was a bad day at the office yesterday but you cant win them all. Its where you are at the end of the season that counts not where you are now. I thought Daw was trying his heart out and could be doing with a bit of help in the middle of the park with a player thats gona take command and help run the midfield with him. Perthshire deserved the win no doubt about that and had a couple of good players. It did not look like it was gona be St.Rochs day from the start and any tiny glimmer of hope they had were dashed when mcguire got a red. Bit harsh for me but players need to learn to keep mouth shut cause some refs wont tolerate it. I really like Darn, he has good pace and always direct and he must feel a bit unlucky not to be starting games.

Just a wee memory......In an extraordinarily suspenseful and, at times, fraught finale to our campaign last season, a frozen cold heart chilling evening everything-but-a-goal scoreless stalemate signalled submission for me. On the Candy brake back we discussed things, the run in, our promotion chasing opponents and how we hadn’t scored and only got a point. I had that sinking feeling that you tell you yourself is irrational and reactionary and despite your brain saying “you know it’s true” you convince yourself that you are still in it. The Grim Goal-less Game at the Gow (looking back now) was a sea changer. We had set our ship for the promised land but I suspected then we might not make it. The wind was missing our sails. It wasn’t a great feeling and perhaps the many who were there with me feel differently about it looking back? Gow were battling for everything and that point might have just saved them. This fixture just made me think back and remember. Football sticks in your mind and sometimes your throat. One team’s heartbreak is another team’s joy and sometimes it is the thickness of the post, or even the paint on the post, that casts you victorious or vanquished.
I can’t be there tomorrow but I wish the Candy well. I’m hoping for a result rather than a performance (as I’m not there!) and the promise of more games like the one above could be on the cards... and wouldn’t we all love that?
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Great performance today, what a way to bounce back after defeat to perthshire. Nobody was bad but thought bryson abso strolled the game. Hes been playing really well i think. 4-0, 2 goals chalked off, keeper tipped one onto bar, few more chances and a clean sheet. What else can you ask for. As homelessglasgow says it was a welcomed bonus rossvale dropped 3 points.

10.20 game in doubt as club tweeted 11.30 pitch inspection then word came through game on.

So got out of bed and started to get prepared for a trip on the garngad express to JMP then came an unexpected text 12.30 another pitch inspection and I felt that knot in my stomach that has been far too familiar this season game off but due to a shite bus service a decision had to be made take the chance and gamble against the odds or stick and go plan another adventure for my Saturday afternoon.

A quick look outside and the ray of winter sunshine blasting into my living room convinced me to go get the garngad express so 1.15 found me at the depot for the bus and the text came through " GAME ON "

My gamble had paid off and I skipped on the bus with an extra bounce in my step .

As I reached the famous old ground and exchanged greetings and handshakes with the candy faithful in the glorious sunshine I was confident candy could bounce back from last week's shocker at the shire .

The game started brightly for candy and despite never upping the gear they looked comfortable and it felt it would only be a matter of time before we made the break through and around the half hour mark it duly came thanks to a neat finish from McDonald.

Candy had a logan goal disallowed right on the stroke of half time but without the aid of television replays I have no idea if it was the correct decision or not .

Second half continued in the same vein with candy comfortable and Lesmahagow offering little another offside goal this time from martin looked the wrong decision from my vantage point but the ref without the aid of linesman is never gonna get everything correct .

A daw penalty made 2-0 candy and that was the cue for Lesmahagow to give up the ghost

It was now a matter of how many and a lovely individual finish by rab maguire from great team work and a nice finish from craig put the icing on the candy cake .

4-0 FT

Comfortable victory and a bit of redemption for last week .

As the fans started to head towards the club house and the exits news came through Rossvale had lost 1-0 which completed a perfect day in the garden of God as that result means we are back in the title race tho points in the bag are always better than games in hand .

Next week should see a much sterner test as face glencairn in the cup but one game at a time sweet candy someone once sang so we will worry about that next week

For now we will enjoy our Saturday in the knowledge that to quote some poster last week

" the candy bubble ain't bust yet ".

A word of praise for the referee today who allowed for common sense and understanding to ensure game went ahead today .

9.00 game virtually off but he allowed big ken and billy time to work on the pitch given the weather and temperature was rapidly improving so called for 11 30 inspection by which time after hard work and good fortune weather wise the pitch was fine to play the match .

A shout out also to Lesmahagow for giving the go ahead to rearrange the fixture in the first place. Fair play to the Candy getting over the previous effort in Possil. A 4-0 win and week of feeling life is good.

Thank you St Roch's.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic result today

A world class free kick from Halliday then goals from McDonald darn maguire and another berto free kick had us 4-0 up at the break and for that 15-20 spell we were as good as I have seen us .

Passing movement finishing we had it all.

Second half saw EK to there credit come out and try and restore some pride and a mini revival looked on the cards as they fought back to 4-2 but superb play from craig and a exquisite finish from darn maguire made it and 5 then McDonald with a cute finish made it 6 but EK pulled back a consolation to make the final score 6-3 candy .

9 goals a world class free kick and some lovely football on a real heavy leg sapping pitch all for a fiver.

If carlsberg made football matches it still would not be as good as a day out at James mcgrory park

• 2 weeks later...

Candy right in the mix again after today. Dropped points from lesser teams puts things right back into our hands too. 

Poor first half but second half was a treat. If they can start to turn it on for the full ninety minutes then promotion should be a certainty. 

Jordan Logan surely cemented himself in the first team with that showing too. Felt a hat-trick was on the cards if he hadn't come off. 

Crowd today was superb and shows why St Roch's are a credit to the Junior game.  

Candy right in the mix again after today. Dropped points from lesser teams puts things right back into our hands too. 

Poor first half but second half was a treat. If they can start to turn it on for the full ninety minutes then promotion should be a certainty. 

Jordan Logan surely cemented himself in the first team with that showing too. Felt a hat-trick was on the cards if he hadn't come off. 

Crowd today was superb and shows why St Roch's are a credit to the Junior game.  

Could see you guys again next season
Good luck

The second half today was a joy to behold as the 10 men of candy played some lovely football in the Garngad sunshine.
Still a lot of football to be played between now and the end of the season but if we can replicate that second half performance we will win far more than we lose .
It was also fantastic to see such a bumper crowd attend today and the excitement and buzz that creates around the ground .
5 minutes into the game there was still a queue outside with folk waiting to get in.
The bandwagon rolls on to Ayrshire next week and a match against one of the best teams in the junior game and it's a game the players will relish testing themselves against the best .
While I fancy our chances ( heart not head ) if we give a good account of ourselves then most fans will be happy as we accept this will be a real step up in class

I’ve never written about my Candy Days for a while and I have plenty to think about tonight and will no doubt wax lyrical about it tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it.
I'd say love was a magical thing.... but it is also a burden and a privilege. At half time it was one and full time it was the other... it is truly something special whatever way you look at it and as me and the old man walked back to the car after the game, hundreds of others were leaving the ground at the same time and I said to a fellow fan, “There is something special about being in a crowd and seeing your team do what we did in the second half isn’t there?” He just smiled... he felt the same, I’m sure he did. I know he did.
Mon the Candy!
MTC[emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

I Love Candy.. that’s the Wonder of you

I am not a fan of laundry days and they get pushed back till the wardrobes are Mother Hubbard like. A pile of old tops gets sifted through like an old woman at a jumble sale and I pull out my retro legacy St Roch’s “Love Candy, Hate Racism” tee shirt top, looser and baggier and testament to my hard work life and although a six stone lighter shadow of my former self, my anticipation was as ever and my mind was sharp. As sharp as it ever was at least. At least something was constant. The relationship status of My Football Life says “It’s complicated”. Like most of life’s complications I can figure it out with introspective analysis but it is a sweet little mystery to others who can look on and hypothesise and promulgate theories and opinions and recommendations and advice. It is always easier to sort someone else’s problems than to sort your own. I know how they feel. When you get swamped and engulfed and overwhelmed and the last wee bit of your self control decides that this crazy game is too much, it takes a brave man (some say foolish) to stay with it and realise that in the Wonderful game of this Wonderful life that your football life is full of Wonder. I Wonder....?? I Wonder if we knew the heart ache of love whether we would ever do it? I Wonder if you knew at the start how it would rip you and tear you whether you would have bothered even starting? Love will tear you apart... again. I Wonder if it is ever going to be any different? Well, I hope not... because to be a fan and love your team is the Wonder of all Wonders and the greatest gift of all. A gift that keeps on giving. A love that sickens your stomach and sinks your soul at times and leaves you flat and alone with your demons. But.. oh yes..... but..... believe me..... it can soar your soul and warm your heart and put a smile on your face and give you a feeling of inclusion and validate your entire being. Football can be your everlasting love if you love it back and love your team. It is clear to me after enjoying and sharing my day yesterday (because that’s what I felt I did) that in spite of the bumps in the road and in spite of the disappointment and in spite of the frustrations and head scratching befuddled beWonderment, I really do Love Candy..... no Wonder...

I met familiar and welcoming faces as I entered JMcG Park and having been missing in action over the last few months, I asked how we were doing. A simple question is never simple in football so we spend the next 10 minutes bemoaning our luck, discussing a lad who has decided to move on (Good luck Danny Irvine) and pondering the run in and our hopes and fears for the rest of the year. Football familiarity in adversity and it brings you together. I felt back and shook some hands and headed for the club house, my Auld man already down the well worn path like a pity pony, I join him for a coffee. Someone has pinched the sweeteners since my last visit and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Polystyrene cup in hand I venture outside as the CandyMan ramps up the volume and the Pre Match Candy is in full flow, players dancing in and out of cones in front of us, well kent faces wandering in, hands shaken, smiles exchanged and the crowd swelling. The team run out after 3 lads almost scalp themselves on the low door frame. Big Chief Sitting Bull Ken removing my emergency “mind your head” sign back into it’s unobservable location at the side of the hazard. I gave up and walked round to my usual spot on the terrace beside the dug our and witnessed a drab first half, the only noteworthy incident being a straight red card for the Candy. Down to 10 men and no real chances and not playing great, but ok at times, I walk back to the relative calm and comfort of the clubhouse and discuss when I get there the meritless ref who has “done us” again with a dodgy red. Now I didn’t see the actual red card incident but I was standing with eyes I trust and they said it was a straight red. I actually saw the lad escape a potential red 10 minutes earlier with a shocking 2 foot lunge that was, fortunately for all concerned, off target. 5 mins before the sending off I could see Red Card Man getting frustrated, being pinned back in his own half as the Candy struggled to get anything going. It looked like one of those quality lacking pish poor performance days and the 10 men had it all to do in the second half. The wind would be behind us but as I retook my place, the damn wind seemed to have changed direction and I cursed our luck. However, the fair wind of change blew through the game and the cobwebs of mediocrity that had hung around the corners of our first half performance were gusted away, just like the Forth defence and ultimately their fight. We scored good goals and controlled the game, we passed and moved and held the ball up well (our 2 up top did great) and we looked a threat. I thought Stephen Bryson was solid along with his hard tackling defensive colleagues and the Kieron twins, Daw and Martin ran the game for us, their experience and discipline were evident. As an old guy, I like seeing the senior players grab a game and boss it. Forth weren’t great, their number 2 did ok and they did try for the most part, but the result was probably what I had hoped for at the start, if not at half time. For the Candy there were good performances all round and, for me, a few tweaks and improvements could make this team into a real challenger. There is only so much our management team can do though and as you get older and wiser in football, you will realise that it is too easy for some players to take the path of least resistance. Here is a newsflash.... it ISN’T always someone else fault, it ISN’T always the ref who has done you, what you do and how you perform and behave IS down to you. The wise wise up and the others don’t. Players decide what they want to do and who they want to be. We can but watch and hope.....

It was night and day and on a day where at half time I could hear the Would’ve won had we kept 11 men on, Should’ve won this game anyway, and Could’ve been in front had we scored (seems obvious I thought!!) the Woulda Coulda Shoulda became a Super Duper Display of heart, passion, fight, control, ability, good movement and confidence. I was impressed by our second half display and the large crowd (testament to the hard marketing work by our Guru Scott) went home happy and smiling and chatting and laughing. There is something about football that you get on days like yesterday. It is the pride in your team, the pride in where you come from and the fact that we are all the same. It is a sort of tribal mob culture that unites and protects and promises so much. It can keep you sharp and alert and safe. It’s a Wonderful thing....

I Wonder if this might be a sea change for the Candy? We were dire last week apparently but sometimes escaping from trouble and grasping victory from the yawning jaws of abject boredom can lift a fan, I expect it to the lift the players. We are away at The Bot next week and I hope ours doesn’t get skelpt. They can do that to teams so reality bites but we can go with the confidence to know we can play and we have it in us to fight properly and do ourselves justice. I love the passion of the fans and the passion of a hard working and batting team. I hope it continues and I hope I am allowed to keep loving it.

“God made everything beautiful, precious and new,

Just as beautiful and precious as the day will be,

When I look into your eyes and say, "I Love you”.”

I looked at it again yesterday with the flush faced freshness of a returning fan. I Wonder why I Loved it....?

Mon the Candy!

MTC[emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

IMG_4336.thumb.jpg.b3277b356fac5e2bf216ba286abd9f11.jpg

Archived