St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A half is as good as a whole

There is no denying the pull of the Candy at home. Even though things are hectic for me right now I still feel the need to feed my greed for my Grass roots Garngad football fix. The deed was indeed done yesterday and although I only soaked up the opening 45 mins of this eventual excellent three points, I feel able to comment on what I saw and how I saw it. What I see and what I saw... a see saw.... that describes the Candy pretty well and for every great passing move and threatening Offensive play the DeeFence compensated with their own up and down performance. Like the weather you often get the full range in one match, I saw it in a half and when I exited at 2.45 it was after applause, shakes of the head, winces and a realisation that what took the Candy so far last year is still in there.

A flash of the Candy season ticket (more later!!) and through the gate we go, the old man off to get the coffees as I chew the Candy Cud with a few regulars and GOTW at the Candy Shop. I hand a tenner over for an early Christmas present scarf... "Laaappppp llaaaaand's green and white" and await my £2 change. Like the late night taxi guy stumbling for change in the hope of a just keep it wee tip, I wait then spot a badge and hand over another quid. 11 quid down as the 11 men ran out and it is about as strong as we could be with injuries and suspensions. The game starts and we look ok and try to get the ball down and make a couple of half chances whilst not looking the tightest at the back. For a very experienced back 4 we didn't seem to be talking much and that inevitably brings problems, some drop off and some push up and some try to hold a line. Even the best players can't do that in silence. The best defenders never shut up.. ever. They looked strong and skilled and swarming at times in attack. A corner for them and the centre half has a free header and makes no mistake....Good defenders talk and that doesn't happen. We then enter a spell when we look decent going forward but still shaky at the back as they midfield grabbed the game. We weathered it and a good passing move saw the ball whipped in across the 6 yard box of a slid in five a side goal finish for 1-1. And so it went... this way that way, back and forth, good and bad, applause and teeth clenching. It is the Candy way though and it is seldom an easy ride. It is what makes the day though, the magic of football, the frustrations and the glimpses of good that keep you tethered to your team with the promise of the glory days always on the horizon and only one or two good signings away. I felt like that yesterday, it was good to be back albeit for only the first half. I walked out to the car and off and thought "Shotts are a decent side. We will do well to get a result" but Twitter Tweeted the Candy Sweet news and confirmed what I always knew, that the Candy hearts [emoji172] had beaten strong and we had hung in and won. You don't always need to be the best team to get the 3 points. In an even contest there has to be something that gets you over the line... I'm glad we had it. It was a good day.....

St Mirren scrambled a win too and my good day flowed into a good night. You know it was good when you realise you are trying to pay for KFC at 4am with your St Roch's season ticket..[emoji30] food purchased and consumed.. football watched and consumed and digested. We are what we are and when you have missed it for a while and your heart is pulling you back along Royston Road to get served up a performance like we did, familiar and Candy Comforting, it leaves you satisfied and more fulfilled than anything that Colonel Saunders can provide.. and your card works at JMcG.

Mon the Candy!

MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

0967bbe3b94dc3bb04bf44a09fb76380.jpg17024bfdab0eafcbf72e6931e0444598.jpg

can I ask, are there plans  for more cover at JMP?  Good ground but feels a bit cozy in that wee enclosure. :lol:

Others will be able to confirm but I know it has been discussed recently but we have no benefactor and would have to raise every penny to build or pay for one ourselves. Not that that in itself deserves any special recognition as we are in the same boat as almost all other clubs but our ££'s do get put to good use elsewhere so I guess it is a case of priorities. It would be an excellent addition though... you got a spare few quid shanner?? [emoji23]

19 minutes ago, Kinky Afro said:

Others will be able to confirm but I know it has been discussed recently but we have no benefactor and would have to raise every penny to build or pay for one ourselves. Not that that in itself deserves any special recognition as we are in the same boat as almost all other clubs but our ££'s do get put to good use elsewhere so I guess it is a case of priorities. It would be an excellent addition though... you got a spare few quid shanner?? emoji23.png

Fraid that's a wee bit out of my financial comfort zone, although I bought one of the mugs from the stall and a couple of Tennents the last time I was along.  

Just idle curiosity about the cover situation really.  Been a couple of times now and there usually seems to be enough folk to justify extra cover, but I get that it's not cheap. 

22 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Great to see folk getting behind the bus and the club
Hopefully a good day and next away game we need 2 buses lol

Unless i'm reading the fixtures wrong seems the next five league and cup games are all at home.

4-0 to the candy and in truth could have been more if it was not for there keeper the post and a few sitters missed.

We took down a right good away support probably 3 figures and were rewarded with arguably our best performance of the season so far.

After a stuffy 30 mins dickson headed us in front and from there on in it was just a matter of how many ?

further goals daw ( pen ),millar and maguire gave us a comfortable win and only an exceptional one hand save from the greenock goalie stopped his opposite number big starky from scoring straight from a kick out tho maybe just aswell as I think the big man would have ended up in the away end with us if that had went in lol.

We can be quick to criticise so the plaudits must go to the team and the management staff for an excellent performance and 3 pts today

MTC

On 04/10/2017 at 21:02, Oataat said:

Only requires 200 fans to donate £100 or 100 fans to donate £200 and it's a goer emoji106.pngemoji106.png

I think it would be great for the Candy to get this built.  Could attract more fans too. For me St Roch's should be in the top division with their history and fanbase but if anything the club's charitable ethos is probably holding them back. Weird thing to say, I know, but the money going out to charity could have been spent on players or this terracing. 

With this in mind I was thinking a way to go about this might be to try and raise 20k somehow. Half for the terracing and half for charity. Not got a specific idea in mind as only just seen this thread but I think that could easily be raised. It seems a hell of a lot of money for a normal punter but if we could get some sort of sponsored event going, push it like mad on the internet, then it would be easily doable. 

1 hour ago, griffiti on the wall said:

4-0 to the candy and in truth could have been more if it was not for there keeper the post and a few sitters missed.

We took down a right good away support probably 3 figures and were rewarded with arguably our best performance of the season so far.

After a stuffy 30 mins dickson headed us in front and from there on in it was just a matter of how many ?

further goals daw ( pen ),millar and maguire gave us a comfortable win and only an exceptional one hand save from the greenock goalie stopped his opposite number big starky from scoring straight from a kick out tho maybe just aswell as I think the big man would have ended up in the away end with us if that had went in lol.

We can be quick to criticise so the plaudits must go to the team and the management staff for an excellent performance and 3 pts today

MTC

What a boost the Candy are to Junior football. The hundreds of pounds they are pumping into other clubs is great. 

Forza Candy. 

Archived