St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's us all but there. Wishaw catching St Roch's is not happening. They have a right good chance of a play-off spot but they aren't winning ten or eleven of their remaining games. to go up automatically. 

Hopefully we can beat them at JMP and put it out of question but if it isn't Monday it will be soon. The Candy are going up. 

Feelings. Is it nothing more than Feelings?

I want to put on record my thanks to the gaffer and all his backroom staff for everything they have done this season. Anyone who thinks managing a football team and being the central key man in a club is an easy thing has never done it for sure and they really have no idea. It is a constant round of introverted self analysis, late night ponderings and phone time that would leave you half deaf and cauliflower eared. To muster the troops and get a winning team on the pitch is masterful. To do it over the last 9 days and 4 away games and get 12 points and score 14 whilst only conceding 2 is outstanding. When that puts you into an almost guaranteed promotion position and potential championship winning position then it is even more incredible. What a week and a bit that was. We now have a few days to prepare for the last game which could immortalise this team and this gaffer in the proud history of our club. I really do think it is that big an achievement and I hope he accepts the praise that will rightly come his way. A huge travelling support is monitored from the far end by a half dozen cameras all positioned there courtesy of “ThorneyWidTV- Cummin in yer living room every night eftirr midnight” (Channel 9 something something). They saw some great goals (Special mention to big Gary Fallon who scored a cracker for TW) and some excellent performances last night from the Candy with Bryson and Tierney drawing special mention along with Rees and an invigorated Steph McDonald who scored one and was excellent up top and superb back in midfield after we went down to 10. He has certainly come onto a game at the right time. Well done big lad. Overall the team are a decent bunch, they can all play, but it takes more than being able to play good to be a good player in my eyes.... my eyes? Aye....my Feelings.

If you have read anything I have written about the Candy games this season then you will realise that football to me is very rarely simply about the 11 vs 11. I very often forget the game quickly but remember what I felt. All the emotions and sounds and smells and banter and thoughts of the day combined with the 90 minutes leaves a stamp which embosses. When my angst and my paper is raised I can feel it like Braille and it is very very clear to me, but I accept to others it is invisible. My own football good news yesterday is shared with only a few but to say I am feeling proud and thrilled is an understatement. It makes me smile and as I drive to meet the bus, I really am looking forward to Thorney Wid and despite the traffic jams in town, I manage to get to our pick up point in the drive to pick up 3 points at 6pm. The bus is provided free of charge by the excellent St Roch’s 1920 Supporters Club who in their inaugural season have sold merchandise, provided 2 full first team kits, training kits and donated ££ cash to the club to assist with running costs. An outstanding effort by Mark and Chris and others and Candy Bucket Hats Off to them. Everything was all set......I thought I would have enjoyed it more last night though. It was quiet coming home on the bus despite our 3-1 victory and our almost guaranteed promotion. Three points at home on Monday night in our final game against last seasons nemesis Wishae Washae puts us top of the league and in situ champions and a gauntlet laid down to others to catch and pass us. I felt strangely flat, certainly reflective and perhaps a little bit sad as I beat myself up over my moroseness. Perhaps it was because it was a nervous end to an easy game? Perhaps it was because I saw battle from some and sloppy standards from others? Perhaps it was because I was suffering from the Enjoyment Ending Fatal Flaw, Footy Fatigue? I think it may have been a combination of them all and late last night, unlike my Twitter Trawlling on Tuesday At 1am, I wasn’t looking for Candy Chow. I was challenged by some Raucous Roch fans a few weeks ago when I wrote on here that a game I watched was poor poor fayre, so upset and amazed by this were they that they challenged me about some of the things I said. Well, no one will convince me that a miscreant’s behaviour is acceptable. No one will tell me that what I see with my own eyes is wrong. I have earned the right over the years to be unimpressed and after an entertaining 45 minutes when we could have scored 10 but ended up with 3 and 10 men, I found comfort in the shared anguish of some fellow fans who like me, despite the win and the underlying happiness with the victory left that rain sodden place, along a crumbling terrace and drab dank greyness thinking that like that ground, we had all seen better days.....

I sat beside my auld man on the bus travelling back and he turned to me at one point and said “What was the score?” My heart sank. That was my Feeling. Perhaps that is why I Feel

Flat and why this isn’t my normal high spirited and light hearted look at what was for most, a significant win and a great three points in a fairytale season. I am moving into a chapter of my football life that is exciting and challenging at the same time. Age comes to us all and we either deal with it or we don’t. It makes me think. We drive back to our Gordon’s Bar drop off and a collection for the driver interrupted my chat with a few Candy Fans and the chat was factual rather than fanciful and we promulgated permutations and our eventual finishing position. It wasn’t high spirited or jovial but more a tired matter of fact discussion. My Feeling is that Footy Fatigue has definitely set in. The one thing about fatigue is that it passes and I hope and expect and am sure that by Monday it will be hearts racing and passions inflamed and Fabulous Feelings Flourishing again as we try to mathematically ensure promotion. The players and fans deserve it and the club deserve it but I will be Glad for the GarnGad Gaffer. I wish the team and him well and will see you all there, hopefully I’ll be in better spirits.

I saw and heard some things that made me smile and proud last night, other things that made my heart break and some things I didn’t like and some things that upset me. Standards and Feelings...It was a day of happiness and realisation and acceptance and unfashionable performances and opinions and outdated attitudes. I say outdated but perhaps childish and infantile is more appropriate. I am sure the 6 cameras of truth will have saw it. In football you have to maintain your standards and that means everyone connected with a club on the committee and management side, the playing side and the fan side. Whilst there is no question mark over the vast vast majority there is over some. Sometimes you only get one chance with someone and it is a long long road to turn it round. Some manage that and others are incapable of even realising where they are never mind trying to correct it. When you realise that then you are half way to accepting your place and your view of “The Game”. The Game of Football. The Game of Life. Where do you choose to be? What are you prepared to accept? I think that is what left me Feeling deflated last night. Iffy? What If? If? Pragmatism and blind acceptance are two different imposters and I never treat them the same. Does that make me a man my son? If only.....

These are just my Feelings,

Nothing more than Feelings,

Trying to forget.......

These are my Feelings of Love.

Who ever said The Feeling of Love was ever going to be easy?

Mon the Candy!

MTC![emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]IMG_5429.thumb.jpg.f7d94f89fdfd29733a613ed910a29f25.jpgIMG_5438.thumb.jpg.3cd5a861f006b0223feeda0f09fe26a1.jpgIMG_5433.thumb.jpg.6a9439d77cfa9a4df6af3cfd8ea6e8b8.jpg

Memory can play funny tricks on people. When i dropped my son back home from Robertson Park he said as he left the old chariot, old man, that was effin brilliant, guys shout and bawl, you can drink a couple of beers and get a smoke from the peace pipe, stand where you like and the Candy won. First time i've been in that ground as well.

Aye good, son. And as i drove away i realised the tricks memory had played on him. He'd completely forget that night about 12 years ago when we went to the same park and the entire Candy support was 3 people and he was one of them. Maybe he should have stuck to Pepsi over the years that passed.

And then another memory from nearly a baw hair away from a year ago with our own Writer in Residence at Keppoch Park watching a game as neutrals. The Candy season was now dust on the green grassy slopes of Larkhall. "End of era" were the words spoken. "Probably as good as it gets for the Candy". Feck was that hard to take standing in a side street in Possilpark. Back to 20/30 folk standing frozen in Provanmill and blanking any ambition because you might need to run a bus to Ayrshire a couple of times a year. Seriously that was the patter you heard in Candy land over the last 15 odd years of the Super Leagues. We're shite and we'll just get battered every week. 

But hold on a minute, the present Candy Oracles ain't the naysayers of old, they ain't giving up. These are guys with Twitter and contacts. These are guys that can rally a crew, show things like a bit of leadership. Wee small things like promoting the club. And a year on.......well.......Craigmark Burtonians come from Dalmellington.

I would have to agree with you on your feelings of fatigue and flatness kinky .

6 away games in under 14 days finally caught up with many of us last night and I felt there was a comedown fan wise after a barmy sunny early bank holiday summer night in forth were on arrival to get the bus I was met with bedlam and fans everywhere wanting to travel with us to enjoy some candy in the sun then last night despite a free bus the situation had turned full circle just the usual army of the hardcore and a couple of visitors huddled together in the garngad rain waiting to see our gallant lads prepare to stand on the shoulder of giants and tbh my heart sank as this was our moment to boldly go where no candy team had gone before and folk had passed up the chance to part of it to go to another match elsewhere or be put off by the summer rain .

Despite my initial disappointment once the match kicked off I found myself in the throws of excitement again and despite a match of two half's I left feeling tired flat but proud ,proud of the club and proud of the players who had given all they could and more in the last 14 days and put us on the brink of something special .

This run in has reminded me of my munro walking days when the start was full of excitement and awe at the challenge ahead then as the summit neared and tiredness and fatigue would kick in and many times the urge would come to give up and accept the defeat your body longed for but like last night once you drive yourself beyond that and reach those little bolders in a neat pile on top of the world then the overwhelming feeling is of pride delight and satisfaction to say I done it I made it and next week I'm gonna do it all again cos candy in the super league there will be no better feeling in the world when we hear those words officially.

Great post Tam.... I remember that game at Perthshire last post season and the disappointment we all felt at falling Late to Larky. We have done well to recover from that and all credit to the gaffer for pushing us on from there.

I’m glad you understand it Chris and it wasn’t just me, because some people think you are putting the boot in or having a go. I’ve been at those last 4 midweek games, I’ve been to as many games this season as work would allow and I could muster and sometimes I just took in the first half then had to head off. If I can’t get there I pray to ScottTheGodofTwitter and kick every ball and share every shout. We are as fans definitely battle weary and, perhaps because of that, we weren’t as jubilant as we have been. We left Forth on Monday with the Sun Shining and a SuperLeague world opening ahead of us and a match debating and hope filled journey of anticipation and excitement on the horizon. We left there last night wet and cold and strangely flat and the only appealing thing on the horizon was a warm cup of horlicks and a comfy bed. As we discussed a few weeks ago, not every meal will be Michelin star. As an end of match feeling, I didn’t even feel that we achieved packed lunch standard never mind chippy. Sometimes though we just need to refuel and when we do and we realise that next season we could be fine dining at the SuperLeague Supper Table then that is something to get your appetite raging and make you lick your lips.

Waiter.......[emoji121]️I fully expect to be calling him over to the Candy table on Monday. I’m sure we will dine well...

MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

2 minutes ago, 21stcenturyboy said:

No mate - we need 3 points too guarantee promotion

Winning the title is out of our hands

Cheers I hope you get the points required as I would love you in same league next season. We are all but promoted, need 1 point to confirm it for ourselves, but even if we don't get it the other 3 contenders all have to play each other so something will have to give there, given our points in the bag.

T

Just now, tombo said:

Cheers I hope you get the points required as I would love you in same league next season. We are all but promoted, need 1 point to confirm it for ourselves, but even if we don't get it the other 3 contenders all have to play each other so something will have to give there, given our points in the bag.

T

Hopefully see you soon :)

23 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Memory can play funny tricks on people. When i dropped my son back home from Robertson Park he said as he left the old chariot, old man, that was effin brilliant, guys shout and bawl, you can drink a couple of beers and get a smoke from the peace pipe, stand where you like and the Candy won. First time i've been in that ground as well.

Aye good, son. And as i drove away i realised the tricks memory had played on him. He'd completely forget that night about 12 years ago when we went to the same park and the entire Candy support was 3 people and he was one of them. Maybe he should have stuck to Pepsi over the years that passed.

And then another memory from nearly a baw hair away from a year ago with our own Writer in Residence at Keppoch Park watching a game as neutrals. The Candy season was now dust on the green grassy slopes of Larkhall. "End of era" were the words spoken. "Probably as good as it gets for the Candy". Feck was that hard to take standing in a side street in Possilpark. Back to 20/30 folk standing frozen in Provanmill and blanking any ambition because you might need to run a bus to Ayrshire a couple of times a year. Seriously that was the patter you heard in Candy land over the last 15 odd years of the Super Leagues. We're shite and we'll just get battered every week. 

But hold on a minute, the present Candy Oracles ain't the naysayers of old, they ain't giving up. These are guys with Twitter and contacts. These are guys that can rally a crew, show things like a bit of leadership. Wee small things like promoting the club. And a year on.......well.......Craigmark Burtonians come from Dalmellington.

Prepare well oh city dwellers your likely trip to deepest darkest Ayrshire next season should have dualling banjos  ringing in your ever noisy city ears.......stay close to the path  and be warned,a wrong turn on your quest to play the mighty Mark,could find yourself in the fabled land of Bellsbank,where many have ventured few have returned.Blend in with the natives,dust down the old shell suit,kick on your dunlop flash,adventure awaits....the lads from Garngad.

It’s like I’m just waiting for the day to arrive. With no game tomorrow, a nervous wait for Monday ahead, and taking inspiration from the post above (class[emoji120]), I’m quoting and editing a wee piece I was reading... it felt apt... I used to read the evening times in my younger days....

The naked earth is warm with Spring,
⁠And with Candy green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun's gaze glorying,
⁠And quivers in the sunny breeze;
And Life is Colour and Warmth and Light,
⁠And a striving evermore for these;
And he is here, who will not fight?
⁠And he who fights does so for us.

The fighting man shall from the sun
⁠Take warmth, and life from the glowing earth;
Speed with the light-foot winds to run,
⁠And with the trees to newer birth;
And find, when fighting shall be done,
⁠Great rest, and fullness after victory.

All the bright company of The Candy,
⁠Hold them in their high comradeship,
The Dog-Star, and the Sisters Seven,
⁠Orion's Belt and sworded hip. Our stars.

The woodland trees that stand together,
⁠They stand tall and strong each one a friend;
They gently speak in the windy weather;
⁠They guide to victory and the season's end.

The kestrel hovering by day,
⁠And the little owls that call by night,
Bid them be swift and keen as they,
⁠As keen of ear, as swift of sight.

The fans sing to them, "Brothers, brothers,
⁠If this be the last song you shall sing,
Sing well, for you may not sing another;
Brothers, sing."

In dreary, doubtful, waiting hours,
⁠Before the brazen frenzy starts,
The fans are restless with nobler powers;
⁠O patient eyes, courageous hearts!

And when the burning moment breaks,
⁠And all things else are out of mind,
And only Joy-of-Battle takes
⁠Take us by the throat, and make us proud,

Through joy and blindness we shall know,
⁠Not caring much to know, that still
Nor lead nor steel shall reach us, so
⁠That it be not the Destined Will.

The thundering line of battle stands,
⁠And in the air promotion moans and sings;
But the day shall clasp us with strong hands,
⁠And night shall fold us in victorious soft wings.

Rally true and prepare to fight,
Victory is ours with fight and passion,
Time to stand and be counted,
Your place in history awaits.

It really does feel a little like the calm before the big one. “Stay calm, composed, confident and focused and let your ability come out” would be my battle cry . The fans are most definitely behind the team and I can’t wait!!
See you all there!

Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]
IMG_5455.jpg

Great post as usual kinky

I just hope we play the game not the occasion so trying my best to avoid the hype and the build up .

It's one of them days which for the players is a day to remember and be remembered in candy folklore or a day of regrets and what ifs .

As a fan it's not a game I will probably enjoy as the result will be far more important than the performance if it goes our way then we will rejoice and it will live long in the memory but if it ends up like larkhall away last season...then I don't want to remember that again

MTC

Archived