St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

11 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Hopefully this trip to Port Glasgow is better than a January day in 1988. A good mate at the time now living in foreign shores gave me a shout out for a Junior cup replay. Be at Provanmill Park for 11.30 am, the Candy are running a bus, he says. Sure enough come Saturday we turn up and troop on the bus. The team, the manager plus 3 committee men. And the entire Roch support which consisted of my mate and me. Now i know a few of the Candy old timers who go back 40/50/60/70 odd years, some of them were standing at Neilston last night. But for whatever reason they weren't there that day in 1988. Anyway down to the Port we go and being there early obviously with the team we decide to wander into Port Glasgow town centre. Bag of chips later and we wander back to the ground. Now remember it's 1988 and the technological revolution was Channel Four and a BetaMax video recorder. Nae mobile phones, nae Twitter .

And nae bus, the game was called off and the team had effed off back to Glasgow minus moi.

Mon the Candy right enough.

Ha ha ha ha fantastic...where the chips good?

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love reading the reports on here..... and on twitter. Having stood on the terraces with you guys over the last 2 seasons I can hear your writing as if you are speaking it, I can feel the emotion and humour and downright pride and belonging in every word and believe me, although I can’t be there a lot, I feel like I am sharing it with you all. I sat miles away last night and watched twitter... again.... and kept clicking refresh.... it was like my school days watching Ceefax and teletext scores and hoping.... I don’t watch quietly.... “Hang on ffs” was my mantra... “what’s Hanlon going off for?? Ahh big Bryson is coming on. Nae fannying about big man, clear yer lines and win yer headers and tackles” talking to twitter never felt so good when I saw the FT score .... keep commenting, keep writing, keep dreaming, keep loving...
Mon the Candy! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

There was SSSSSSSomething Stirring in the misty haze of end of Season early Summer promise that enticed the Afro and his auld man along a well worn and well kent path, over wilderness back roads, all of which lead to a huge expansive pitch at Shotts, Shimmering Sweetly in Sinking Sunlit Skies. SSSSSSSSS. A Super Supper Satisfying well Stocked Shop in the Shed provided the Sustenance and the Candy Served up a Superb 5Star Show which Showed Skill and Style and Showered the Spectators and left them Saturated in Sensational Sexy football. SSSSSSSS. We Surpised the ShellShockedShopStaff as we bought all the Steak pies... the locals Surprised at the hunger of the Candy Carnivores, Seldom Seen Scavangers on the hunt. Whilst Some are often Served well with Some Stone cauld mince, last night was a Candy Steak fest.. and the Mighty Meat eaters were hunting for points..... Sometimes.... Sometimes when the Stars align... and there is the Scent of a 3 point bearing woman in the air, the Surest thing is Success. It was a night that left me Smouldering like the just passed peat bogs and.... SSSSSSSS.... Sometimes it’s good to let of Steam and just SSSSSmile....

We did well for the first 15 as we Stretched them and long balls over the top caused Some trouble for them and it was no Surprise when our pressure resulted in the first of 2 first half penalties. Despatched on the rebound after their keeper made a decent Save. We then dropped out of things for 15 and they Scored a Scrappy equaliser. We finished the first half on top again and after a lighting break a debatable penalty (at least it was debated with the leather cowboy hatted Shotts note taker who wasn’t having much luck or peace as his pen was well worn noting more and more as the Candy delivered more and more. *his pen melted down in the first 20 mins of the Second half) we went 2-1 up and into the break deservedly ahead. Results elsewhere, delivered faithfully by our Lord Twitter, meant 3 points were looking essential and nervously we discussed recent wins and losses and minds wandered back to last Season and our Final Forlorn Furlong. “Don’t Panic” Shouted Jonesy and he was right. They certainly “didn’t like it up them” as we did exactly that in a Blitzkreig Barnstorm and a quickfire treble put Shotts to the Sword and Settled any nerves on the Sidelines.

A Strong performance from Serveral Starters, Some making their debuts (well done young man) and others who have been Sideline Spectators at times. It was a Slick performance and left me Satiated and Satisfied and SSSSSSSSS...as we drove home, Daylight Drifting and Dipping over the Horizon to Dusk, it made me think... again....

If you chose your path and make your own decisions then you need Something back to Stay Sane. Sure, Some Might Say that it is only a game. Some Say it is only 11 vs 11 but I know it is more than that. My football life has taken me far and near this last month and I have felt So much and enjoyed So much that the luck I enjoy tells me differently. Something Stirs and Something Special Still Shakes me when I See Some things. I See my auld man come alive and talk with pride like he did last night on the way home, his recent health problems and my worries Set aSide for a few hours, his StRoch’s Scarf wrapped round his neck and coffee stained where he Spilled Some last night. He may not hold a full polystyrene cup but he can hold a conversation and he tells me he loves goals and that the Candy Scored Some crackers last night and “that wee number 16 did well” (Young debutant Paul.. well done again Son. Never ever underestimate your impact on Some when playing football). I Smiled as he Smiles and asks me what was the name of that “Cnt that bites folk?” (Suarez) or derides that “Tommee Tippee fitbaw” (Tiki-Taka).... if football gives then I will take. It gave me Something Special last night and it gave back to my auld man. A moment in the Sunlight and as I Stopped at a temporary red light on the back road back to the M8, I look out the window and I See two masts and two clouds... both masts tall and enjoying the Setting Sun and the time left and the two clouds on their transient journey. We continue ours and it will take 30 mins to get back to Bishopbriggs but long long long may our football journey together continue.... Football has made me SSSSSSo lucky... I SSSSShared it and it was SSSSo SSSSo SSSSSpecial[emoji256]

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

IMG_5336.thumb.jpg.3a789d79c0c5ed517e47f7da3e520eb3.jpg

11 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Just before we go all paradisiacal, the Candy mathematically cancelled out begin relegated last night. 

I was perusing the league connotations this morning and came to this conclusion also...however, didn't want to seem foolish an never posted it.

However, just for the inclusion of "paradisiacal" alone, im glad you did.

Wasn't at the match last night for marragerial reasons...i'm pretty certain thats not a word, but ultimately...the mrs wouldn't let me.

However, through modern technology, we still managed to inform the masses about a great St Roch's victory.

Saturday was a major disappointment.  A tremendous Candy faithful turn out and a fantastic setting of sun, flat pitch and a few wee beverages....following on from the Neilston win. We were in high spirits (not as much as our missing midfield talisman however).

We stank it out, defensively weaker than we have been. Midfield looked to badly miss their midfield general, whilst the forwards huffed and puffed but couldn't create on their own. All that said, it was hard to point a long leering finger at the lads. Imo they have burst their holes recently, so  to be in the positon we are (an looking at the other teams dropping points in a hard schedule) of course we arent going to be on the ball every week.

Last nights result was the perfect remedy.

Wednesday again, is huge...and then a weekend off, despite it being a pain in the arse considering we have the Monday/Wednesday again, may work out in our benefit going into the afore mentioned week fixtures. Despite their league placing, they pushed Rossvale to a slender victory, so they are still fighting. We havent had it easy there the past few seasons...im happy for a dire performance as long as we get the 3 points.

4 to go!

The annual end of season St Roch's midweek trip to Lesmahagow. Two years ago leaving JMP i asked somebody if we'd a game on the Monday night, "Naw, Wednesday pal". To then switch on P&B on the Tuesday to find out we'd beat the Gow away on the Monday night!!!

And then there was last year and the famous 0-0 Battle of Lesmahagow on holiday Monday when the Candy threw everything but the pies at the Gow goal but it was not to be. The fact the fans still mentioned it a year on shows you how much it rattled failing to win that night.

And thus to last night, had the Candy not been on top form you could see how easily points could have been dropped. Cut to the chase, the Candy were on fire. 3-1 doesn't do it justice. Still, three points and a free Saturday. Back on the M8 travels next week with a visit to Forth Wanderers on Monday night 7pm.

The Charge of the Candy Brigade into The Valley of The Lost Souls and The Three Goals

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of The Gow,
Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Candy Brigade!
Charge for the SuperLeague!” he said.
Into the valley of The Gow,
Rode the six hundred.

“Forward, the Candy Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
Someone had blundered.
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of The Gow,
Rode the six hundred.

Passing to the right of them,
Running to the left of them,
Heading in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of their foes,
Into the mouth of hell,
Rode the six hundred.

Flashed all their sabres bare,
Flashed as they turned in air,
Sabring the enemy there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wondered.
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right through the line they broke;
Candy Men strong,
Gow men reeled from the sabre stroke,
Shattered and sundered.
Then they rode back, but not as they came, Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them,
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
While the watchers watched the players played,
They that had fought so well
Came through the jaws of Defeat,
Back from the mouth of hell with 3 points,
All that was left of them, Left of The Candy.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the league wondered.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour The Candy Brigade,
Noble six hundred

Ok, so maybe it wasn’t six hundred but a healthy band of merry men backed the team to a well deserved 3 points in the Valley of Sighs that a few months earlier killed off our promotion hopes. It was different last night and with a bit of luck we could have won 7 or 8. A Darn Double and a LongRangeLogieTapBinRocket saw the brave men through and the Candy Brigade left in high spirits. My auld man negotiated the evening and the hill well and sat Still Game-esque on a bench behind the goal and chewed the fat with 2 auld Gow fans. Even at that age football still brings you together. But old Jim Friel did a John Wayne/Tom Cruise terrace tumble “Ay diz aw eez ain stunts” one wisecracking cracker cracked but like that Candy last night, there was the briefest moment of concern before he composed himself and took his own 3 points of stability (arse and 2 feet as he sat and was comforted). It was a picturesque and pleasant trip out and a comfortable win to be honest. They were an honest bunch but no match for us although the Danny DiVito number 2, Fisherman/trawlerman BeardyBoy in Midfield, the follically challenged Prince Edward/Leigh Griffiths centre half and the decent and lively young number 9 got pass marks. For the Candy it was high pass marks all round and special mentions to young Rees and Paul Tierney who I thought both looked an actual level above last night.

Kieron Daw’s brother shouts at his bench bound brother “I’ve came all this way to see you and you’re no even getting a game..” and a few people had come a long way. The Candy look a stronger outfit than they did at the start of the season, the fans were there in greater numbers and greater spirit than last season, the hope is turning to expectation and the passion is showing and is appreciated by me and the rest of the fans. A long way. A long way from Royston Road. A long way down that bloody slope. Still a long way to go. The Candy brigade are on their way, it may be a long way but we are on a charge. The Charge of the Candy Brigade. Just ask our Tom Cruise stunt man stand in Jim Friel, it isn’t really Mission Impossible for the Candy.. not this time.

Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]IMG_5347.jpgIMG_5354.jpgIMG_5350.jpg

How many of the “600” paid in tho ??? Never known as many supporters to avoid paying in. Happens every time. Don’t know if yous think it’s funny or something but getting out of order.  Heard a few offered £2 but had enough money for alcohol at the game. 

54 minutes ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

How many of the “600” paid in tho ??? Never known as many supporters to avoid paying in. Happens every time. Don’t know if yous think it’s funny or something but getting out of order.  Heard a few offered £2 but had enough money for alcohol at the game. 

First to admit i'm bemused by that, HKP. It's not the first time i've went looking for a gateman to hand over my 5 or 6 quid depending what ground i'm at. At some grounds the gateman walks away as soon as the game starts. I've been at Lesmahagow 2 out of the last 3 seasons the Roch has played there. Your saying some of the away fans don't or won't pay every time i'd expect the Lesmahagow committee to point this out to the Candy folk. I've honestly never heard this being mentioned in the past.

First I heard was 2 years ago when a committe member asked one of the local “not so shy” guys to go over to the enclosure and ask them to pay or go? He got some payments as not all admitted not paying in. Last season and last night was the same but nobody challenged them. At The Gow we have a couple of elderly ( late 70’s/ early 80’s) committe members at the bottom gate and a young girl committe member at the top gate and they stay there until 30 mins into the game. Think it may be time to get some others on the gate if this continues. Was discussed at half time and some of your supporters thought it was a laugh and said they could pay £2 but that was all as they weren’t working. Sad day if we have to man up the gates for your visit. 

Dear Henry (The Mild Mannered Janitor), My auld man paid for me and him and bought a raffle ticket strip from the lad and the woman at the top of Hells Hill as I parked my car there 1000 ft above the pitch. He also bought 2 coffees and a pie when we descended to sea level. I also “spent” some time writing that wee bit and trying to bring a bit of literature and culture and some wit into what is at the end of the day a midweek low level league game on a euphemistically “undulating” pitch that would shame a Scottish island with less than 50 inhabitants. It is what it is though and despite my best efforts, no matter what the Candy do and no matter where, some people will miss the joy and fun and want to have a go. Some people just don’t get it... but I always knew that. Pity.
MTC!

Thanks for brining this to our attention HKP

I have called Andy Irvine (Lesmahagow match secretary) who was not overly concerned - I also spoke to our fans and a handful may have came in and as there was no ne at the gate at that point - there was noone to pay

We have agreed an amount and we St Roch's will fully compensate Lesmahagow.

Neither our club or fans who follow us in big numbers want bad name and we have good relationship with the Gow. 

All the best 

1 minute ago, 21stcenturyboy said:

Thanks for brining this to our attention HKP

I have called Andy Irvine (Lesmahagow match secretary) who was not overly concerned - I also spoke to our fans and a handful may have came in and as there was no ne at the gate at that point - there was noone to pay

We have agreed an amount and we St Roch's will fully compensate Lesmahagow.

Neither our club or fans who follow us in big numbers want bad name and we have good relationship with the Gow. 

All the best 

Excellent mate. Well done. 

Best of luck for the rest of the season. 

57 minutes ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

First I heard was 2 years ago when a committe member asked one of the local “not so shy” guys to go over to the enclosure and ask them to pay or go? He got some payments as not all admitted not paying in. 

I don't believe this happened. Wouldn't have ended well for the guy.

Rather than complain about one or two who didn't pay in because of the nature of your ground and lack of turnstiles it would be much nicer to read you compliment the Candy for bringing your record home attendance for the season and a much needed boost to Lesmahagow's coffers. 

Its a shame that happened with some of the admission but i am sure it was not intentional. I never saw anybody not paying, i paid the man and woman at the top of the hill and bought 3 strips of raffles like i do at any other ground, i also stood in queue behind roch fans at the snack bar which when i asked old lady for a coffee she shouted over that she could not believe that her urn was nearly empty already which suggested to me they do not go through so much on a normal game.

I saw candy fans and players spend frequently at the snack bar and it was a candy fan which won the raffle and he even took a bit of stick for taking the £10 of the lady with the big pink wellies on.

The numbers the roch are taking to every away ground near and far is great and every team in the league is getting a turn off us and our spending so its a bit hard to swallow the nobody ever comes on and says, thanks to st rochs we had a great take at the gate and snack bar but do not hesitate to post the bad points.

Its a shame that happened with some of the admission but i am sure it was not intentional. I never saw anybody not paying, i paid the man and woman at the top of the hill and bought 3 strips of raffles like i do at any other ground, i also stood in queue behind roch fans at the snack bar which when i asked old lady for a coffee she shouted over that she could not believe that her urn was nearly empty already which suggested to me they do not go through so much on a normal game.

I saw candy fans and players spend frequently at the snack bar and it was a candy fan which won the raffle and he even took a bit of stick for taking the £10 of the lady with the big pink wellies on.

The numbers the roch are taking to every away ground near and far is great and every team in the league is getting a turn off us and our spending so its a bit hard to swallow the nobody ever comes on and says, thanks to st rochs we had a great take at the gate and snack bar but do not hesitate to post the bad points.
It will always be bash the Candy when they can. No one likes us but we don't care. Many a time I have seen at JMP various teams fans come up and say committee member but not show a card and walk away in free. Yes a failing on our gate man for not standing firm and saying no card you need to pay but we take folk at their word. Some club's will live for a month or so of the takings they get from when the Candy come calling. We don't go to away games to get praise we are only there to see the Candy and hopefully leave with the win.

What a lot of shite
We led everyone on our bus to 2 old men standing in hope not expectation half way down a glen on a payment since you have never invested in basic turnstiles or even a bloody table.
Cheap comment aimed at a fantastic away support that filled your coffers more in one night than you will have got all season.

As some said I never once read any praise for a candy support that out numbers the home support every game and spend a fair few quid on the day buying cans of juice for a quid cans of beers from a box for 2 quid and vastly over inflated food items without a hint of complaint yet soon as one or two candy fans step out of line they are all over it on here which begs the question why the dislike for a friendly passionate away support who enhance junior football and are helping to spread the word of how good the grade can be on all formats of social media ?

Archived