• Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Rochstar1920 said:

From the clubs twitter.

COLIN McCLEAN FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS

Service at Lambhill Cremetorium on Friday 8th of December at 10:30

More details to follow when we have them

Thanks for the info Rochstar1920.

I can’t make the service on Friday but I will be thinking of Colin and his family and remembering how football reacts to news like this. I have been in a similar situation and a P&B poster to the Fauldhouse thread in a single post offered me his condolences whilst asking others who had scored in the match the day before. It made me smile at a time when smiles were scarce and nothing made sense. I got it.

When you think deeply about the injustices of life and the unfairness of death it can leave you beaten and looking for answers. There is a regularity and togetherness of football divisions that can give you the glimmer of hope and a promise of life going on. I always think the best tribute to anyone that football can do is to remember with feeling and then go forward with passion. Hearing that Colin didn’t want a fuss made as it was “not his way” does not mean that people shouldn’t remember and smile because to be united with football unites you with everyone in times of trouble. I know it got me through a tough time and with time and smiles and laughter and tears and remembrance and respect, football, in whatever way it arrives, will bring something that can validate and commemorate and perhaps, with time, a glow inside that only being part of a loving family can give.

For a football man. [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

A review of 2017

The year began with the candy faithful in boyant mood and we had decided to shoot for the moon with a league and cup double .

A fine 4-0 win over local rivals petershill sent us into orbit and fully believe the mission candy glory could be achieved.

Expectionations and excitement had reached fever pitch when in march we played larkhall at home and 800 of the candy support had passed through the gates .

A crowd that had the old ground bursting at the seams and a crowd not witnessed in many a year .

The cup runs saw us visit pollok which was a highlight for me as I have always held the club in the highest of regard and to play them at newlandsfield is one of the best tests you can have in junior football

We lost 3-1 but did ourselves proud and again the candy support came out in great numbers .

In the other cup we put top flight rob roy to the sword as were glencairn .

Appollo 1920 was heading firmly to its target on the home straight but football like life is never easy or straight forward and with mission accomplished in our sights we crashed and burnt

We took over 200 to larkhall for a winner takes all shot at glory and tbh the better team won on the day but to be part of and see so many leave from jmp in search of glory that day still fills the heart with pride and then 3 days later we lost our cup quarter final to yoker on pens.

A season that promised so much had ended in the bitterest of endings but the journey had been special and filled with every emotion possible and one that will live long in the memory.

This season has been a bit up and down with a new squad new backroom staff and a different playing style but due to the weather not many games have been played so this season's mission is still in its infancy and we have yet to fully see the direct we are going but either way it will certainly be exciting as the one thing the candy never can be is dull.

Off the field it never stops and the work done by the club and volunteers is at times breathtaking and inspiring everything from easter parties , summer football coaching for the kids to getting a new roof and a proposal for a new terrace cover to xmas parties for the elderly and homeless by the club to fans ( not just st rochs but fans from all over the UK and Ireland ) buying the club a new kit and training gear, the creation of the club shop online and a stall at the ground on match days , the formation of a new supporters bus to ensure as many of our fans get to as many games as possible, raising over a grand on go fund to ensure club had easter party for the local kids and could make repairs after club was broken into, to the recent foodbank /toybank collection shows that st rochs football club is more than just 11 guys kicking a ball around a park it's the centre of the community and the focal point for people to meet make new friends and join to together to improve not just our lot but the lot of others .

The wakes even wrote us a fantastic song " football at the heart " Not many clubs have there own official song .

So if 2018 is as half as good or exciting as 2017 then we are all in for another special year following st rochs football club.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone connected with st rochs and to fans of junior football everywhere

Archived