St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Rollo

Excellent read!! I am Candy, I will travel!! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

“In 1922, Rollo signed with Rangers F.C. of the Scottish Football League from Scottish junior side St Rochs FC playing five reserve matches, but no first team games. In 1923, he moved to St Johnstone F.C.. In September 1924, Rollo left Britain, arriving in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on September 16, 1924 where he signed with Bethlehem Steel of the American Soccer League. When he joined Bethlehem, the team was disappointed with his form, but by February 1925, he had developed into a regular starter with the team.[1] In 1928, the ASL expelled Bethlehem when the club defied the league’s boycott of the 1929 National Challenge Cup. Bethlehem then joined the Eastern Soccer League. In the process, the United States Football Association declared the ASL an “outlaw league”. In 1929, the ASL came in compliance with the USFA and the ESL merged into the ASL. Rollo remained with Bethlehem Steel until it folded in 1930. He then moved to the Newark Americans, but by that time, the American Soccer League was collapsing from the financial losses caused by the 1928-1929 Soccer War and the onset of the Great Depression. The Americans folded in 1931 and Rollo moved to the New York Americans.”

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Some amount of rain has fallen this week, how's the park holding up for Saturday? Think a few games will be cancelled this weekend.

I'm sure the Candy groundsman will do everything humanly possible to get the game on. 

“In 1922, Rollo signed with Rangers F.C. of the Scottish Football League from Scottish junior side St Rochs FC playing five reserve matches, but no first team games. In 1923, he moved to St Johnstone F.C.. In September 1924, Rollo left Britain, arriving in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on September 16, 1924 where he signed with Bethlehem Steel of the American Soccer League. When he joined Bethlehem, the team was disappointed with his form, but by February 1925, he had developed into a regular starter with the team.[1] In 1928, the ASL expelled Bethlehem when the club defied the league’s boycott of the 1929 National Challenge Cup. Bethlehem then joined the Eastern Soccer League. In the process, the United States Football Association declared the ASL an “outlaw league”. In 1929, the ASL came in compliance with the USFA and the ESL merged into the ASL. Rollo remained with Bethlehem Steel until it folded in 1930. He then moved to the Newark Americans, but by that time, the American Soccer League was collapsing from the financial losses caused by the 1928-1929 Soccer War and the onset of the Great Depression. The Americans folded in 1931 and Rollo moved to the New York Americans.”

It's a small world as they say, ex Peasy player Alex Massie also played for Bethlehem Steel (1928-1930). He had a brief sojourn with Dolphin in Ireland on the way back before signing for Hearts, he went on to win 18 caps for Scotland.

Cheers kinky that is where I'm up to with Johnny rollo

It was actually me that added st rochs to his Wikipedia page as it had shamefully been omitted or not added .

Hunted up and down Google but nothing much on our other famous son

To add to what we already know Johnny rollo won the reserve Scottish cup in 1923 with Rangers then won the league in 29 with Bethlehem Steel and also won the amateur Wilbur cup in lehigh ( USA ) as a manager with a team called Portugal club in 1934 .
Bethlehem steel was I believe a works team so maybe part of the lure to America was a job and a football team whatever the truth It's a fascinating story about the lad from townhead who's football story took him from the garngad to bethlehem ( USA ).

To add to what we already know Johnny rollo won the reserve Scottish cup in 1923 with Rangers then won the league in 29 with Bethlehem Steel and also won the amateur Wilbur cup in lehigh ( USA ) as a manager with a team called Portugal club in 1934 .

Bethlehem steel was I believe a works team so maybe part of the lure to America was a job and a football team whatever the truth It's a fascinating story about the lad from townhead who's football story took him from the garngad to bethlehem ( USA ).

Regardless of who he went on to play for he will forever be one of our own. I am sure I have heard our president say the Johnny Rollo scored in both finals in 1922.

I have an idea which I have floated to some of the committee and it ticks a lot of boxes and won’t cost anything (I think!) and will not only cement into Candy history all the former players but bring them out into the open and allow the fans, community, the football family and the players and their families to see them in the full green Candy light of recognition and thanks and respect. I’m going to try to get this set up with a target set to have it up and running and an ongoing successful project by the centenary.
I have loved the last week on this thread. I often say that P&B is just a pub discussion and more often than not, an arguement. That is fine, because football ignites your soul... but it can also fire your memory and passion and I defy anyone who has been reading this not to think back on their own football life, the things they have seen and the stories they have heard, and not to feel a warm glow and crack a faint smile of a longing for the past and joy at the same time. I know football can give you so much if you let it in.

I’ve loved this history chat and how as we approach Christmas time that we wise men have travelled following our own Candy star all the way to Bethlehem. I can confirm, in case anyone is wondering, that there’s only one Johnny Rollo, one Johnny Rollo, there’s only one Johnny Rollo. [emoji294]️[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Archived