St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

12 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Believe Jim the author who was a printer to trade had/has some issues regarding who printed it. Believe he wanted it done locally and that might be a problem ie do people still print books in Scotland? Sure there's an article about Jim and the book online. Not a dig in anyway but the Evening Times printed the story well it seems like two decades ago now. We like to take our time at the Candy and get it done right. You don't want to rush anything. I've told the grandweans to tell their grandweans to make sure and buy a copy when it comes out.

There are any amount of small printers in Scotland and elsewhere who could print your book. Costs are not unreasonable, but its not just the cost of printing, it needs to be put into the proper format, which is not the printers job, but again there are people who will do it for you. For a print run of of 1000 in A5 paperback configuration with colour cover and some colour illustrations it can be done for not more than £5000. Sell 500 copies at £10 and costs are covered, biggest problem is distribution, getting shops, etc. to take a few copies is the hard part, and obviously they will want a cut, at least 40% of the cover price.

I have personally done this and also been involved in another book on aviation (a company history) but it was paid for by the company and most of them were gifted to the employees although it is also available to buy.

There have, as you may know, been quite a few junior club histories published, Bathgate, Shotts, Arthurlie, Petershill, Ashfield, Kilsyth, Craigmark,  even a juvenile club, Campsie Black Watch, did one. I can't answer for any of the others but my own one did turn a profit with quite a large contribution to the club, although I do have quite a lot of unsold copies tucked away in the cupboard under the stairs!

I would like to see a few other clubs doing their own, Rob Roy did put a short one out many years ago but copies are as rare as hens teeth. It needs someone dedicated to the job with access to club records and prepared to put a lot of their own time into it. Unfortunately that sort of person is usually now retired with the onset of dementia, or already in their grave!

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

There are any amount of small printers in Scotland and elsewhere who could print your book. Costs are not unreasonable, but its not just the cost of printing, it needs to be put into the proper format, which is not the printers job, but again there are people who will do it for you. For a print run of of 1000 in A5 paperback configuration with colour cover and some colour illustrations it can be done for not more than £5000. Sell 500 copies and costs are covered, biggest problem is distribution, getting shops, etc. to take a few copies is the hard part, and obviously they will want a cut, at least 40% of the cover price.

I have personally done this and also been involved in another book on aviation (a company history) but it was paid for by the cpmpany and most of them were gifted to the employees although it is also available to buy.

There has, as you may know, been quite a few junior club histories published, Bathgate, Shotts, Arthurlie, Petershill, Ashfield, Kilsyth, Craigmark,  even a juvenile club, Campsie Black Watch, did one. I can't answer for any of the others but my own one did turn a profit with quite a large contribution to the club, although I do have quite a lot of unsold copies tucked away in the cupboard under the stairs!

I would like to see a few other clubs doing their own, Rob Roy did put a short one out many years ago but copies are as rare as hens teeth. It needs someone dedicated to the job with access to club records and prepared to put a lot of their own time into it. Unfortunately that sort of person is usually now retired with rthe onset of dementia, or already in their grave!

Great stuff garrellburn, the research etc has been done. And your correct, our club president is now in his mid 70s and not in great health. I'm sure the book will be out in time for our anniversary. I was being somewhat cheeky regarding what was something of in house joke among the author's friends.

A great wee history of St Anthony's written by an Edinburgh man and ex Jambo!!! gave a fascinating insight to both the Ants and Benburb. My copy of that ended up with an ex Govanite living on the English South Coast. According to that history the same people started both the Ants and Benburb and it also laid to rest the Benburb Polmadie link which was another team altogether.

31 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

When Peasy moved into the old Petershill ground in 1935 were the Old Firm invited to play a game there and 10,000 punters turned up?

Albert Moffat's book "A Hundred Years of the Peasy" has this to say about the opening of Petershill Park. 

The ground was opened on Tuesday 30th August 1935 by Alexander B Swan, the Lord Provost of Glasgow.before an enthusiastic crowd of 20,000.  etc. It goes on to give a short report of the game which Rangers won 3-1 with teams listed although not too many familiar names, it sounds like reserve teams with perhaps a few with first team experience, but then I'm no expert on the Old Firm teams of the 1930's.

If there were 20k spectators, which I have no reason to doubt, it may well be the ground record although I was present at a league match, Petershill v Kilsyth in 1957 with an estimated 10,000 present and I have little doubt that figure was exceeded  more than a few times in that era.

1 minute ago, garrellburn said:

Albert Moffat's book "A Hundred Years of the Peasy" has this to sayabout the opening of Petershill Park. 

The ground was openrd on Tuesday 30th August 1935 by Alexander B Swan, the Lord Provost of Glasgow.before an enthusiastic crowd of 20,000.  etc. It goes on to give a short report of the game which Rangers won 3-1 with teams listed although not too many familiar names, it sounds like reserve teams with perhaps a few with first team experience, but then I'm no expert on the Old Firm teams of the 1930's.

If there were 20k spectators, which I have no reason to doubt, it may well br the ground record although I was present at a league match, Petershill v Kilsyth in 1957 with an estimated 10,000 present and I have little doubt that figure was exceeded  more than a few times in that era.

My late father was at that game in 1935. Was something similar in the 1950s when the covered enclosure was put up?

4 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Albert Moffat's book "A Hundred Years of the Peasy" has this to sayabout the opening of Petershill Park. 

The ground was openrd on Tuesday 30th August 1935 by Alexander B Swan, the Lord Provost of Glasgow.before an enthusiastic crowd of 20,000.  etc. It goes on to give a short report of the game which Rangers won 3-1 with teams listed although not too many familiar names, it sounds like reserve teams with perhaps a few with first team experience, but then I'm no expert on the Old Firm teams of the 1930's.

If there were 20k spectators, which I have no reason to doubt, it may well br the ground record although I was present at a league match, Petershill v Kilsyth in 1957 with an estimated 10,000 present and I have little doubt that figure was exceeded  more than a few times in that era.

Was talking to a chap the other day who remembered going on a Petershill supporters bus his grandfather ran from the corner of Angus St in Springburn in the early 1960s. Sure he said his grandfather's name was Tommy Wright.

3 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

My late father was at that game in 1935. Was something similar in the 1950s when the covered enclosure was put up?

I have the book in front of me as I type, the covered enclosure was opened in season 1954-55 although no date is given or any reference to a special match being played. It does say that originally a (seated?) stand was planned. The ground record for a match with Petershill involved is given as 19800 in a Scottis Junior cup quarter final tie V Bo'ness on 3/3/51 which Petershill won 2-0. They went on to beat Armadale 3-1 in the semi, played at Hampden, and Irvine Meadow 1-0 in the final, also at Hzmpden before the all time junior record crowd of 77560. Incidentally Armadale seemed to make a habit of being beaten in the semi's as they also lost to Kilsyth in the 1955 semi, this time at Ibrox.

I have the book in front of me as I type, the covered enclosure was opened in season 1954-55 although no date is given or any reference to a special match being played. It does say that originally a (seated?) stand was planned. The ground record for a match with Petershill involved is given as 19800 in a Scottis Junior cup quarter final tie V Bo'ness on 3/3/51 which Petershill won 2-0. They went on to beat Armadale 3-1 in the semi, played at Hampden, and Irvine Meadow 1-0 in the final, also at Hzmpden before the all time junior record crowd of 77560. Incidentally Armadale seemed to make a habit of being beaten in the semi's as they also lost to Kilsyth in the 1955 semi, this time at Ibrox.

Have a look at the top of page 108. Match was played on 26th August 1954, Celtic winning 2-1. Only 8000 at that one.

My dad was at that Bo'ness match as an almost 9 year old, he got a lift down through the crowd and sat on the track with hundreds of other youngsters.

Crowds in the 40s and 50s are just mind boggling compared to now. We played in 3 Hampden finals in 49, 51 and 56 and over 200,000 watched the games. Be lucky if 10,000 watch us in a season now.

19 hours ago, Glenconner said:

A lot of us of a certain age would remember the Perthshire Social Club beside the petrol station on Springburn Rd. Although back in time that hall belonged to the Oddfellows who were a benefit society pre the welfare state being set up in 1948. Seems before the Shire had that social club they had premises in Ardoch St in Possil.

Although I'm familiar with the Ardoch/Allander streets area of Possil,I wasn't aware of that club being there and I'm guessing it would have been at the Balmore Rd. end of the street.

Incidentally,I heard some time ago that some members of the Perthshire Society ..which of course included punters from further afield than Perthshire ( if you were unlucky enough to get lifted in Glasgow in the early 1900s,it would have been odds on a big hielander doing the huckling :lol:) ..employed at Saracen Foundry and resident in both Possil and Springburn, may well have played a part in the naming of not only Perthshire's park,but of other Keppoch related streets and schools.

I suppose that when we consider that the foundry owner was responsible for the names of both Saracen Park and Saracen Street,then there may well be some substance to the Keppoch story.

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Have a look at the top of page 108. Match was played on 26th August 1954, Celtic winning 2-1. Only 8000 at that one.

My dad was at that Bo'ness match as an almost 9 year old, he got a lift down through the crowd and sat on the track with hundreds of other youngsters.

Crowds in the 40s and 50s are just mind boggling compared to now. We played in 3 Hampden finals in 49, 51 and 56 and over 200,000 watched the games. Be lucky if 10,000 watch us in a season now.

I know that Perthshire's pitch was originally black ash,but did Peasy play their early games on a red ash surface?

19 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

Although I'm familiar with the Ardoch/Allander streets area of Possil,I wasn't aware of that club being there and I'm guessing it would have been at the Balmore Rd. end of the street.

Incidentally,I heard some time ago that some members of the Perthshire Society ..which of course included punters from further afield than Perthshire ( if you were unlucky enough to get lifted in Glasgow in the early 1900s,it would have been odds on a big hielander doing the huckling :lol:) ..employed at Saracen Foundry and resident in both Possil and Springburn, may well have played a part in the naming of not only Perthshire's park,but of other Keppoch related streets and schools.

I suppose that when we consider that the foundry owner was responsible for the names of both Saracen Park and Saracen Street,then there may well be some substance to the Keppoch story.

The Ardoch St story came from 40 years ago and in turn was said in past history terms. The person who mentioned it lived for decades above the Hawthorn Bar at the corner of Saracen St. The impression i had of it was premises inside a building rather than a seperate hall, sounded more like committee rooms.

4 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

The Ardoch St story came from 40 years ago and in turn was said in past history terms. The person who mentioned it lived for decades above the Hawthorn Bar at the corner of Saracen St. The impression i had of it was premises inside a building rather than a seperate hall, sounded more like committee rooms.

Yup,that would make sense as I believe that in the early days of these societies their meetings would be held in members' homes until the funds were available to rent separate premises.

42 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

I know that Perthshire's pitch was originally black ash,but did Peasy play their early games on a red ash surface?

Honestly couldn't say for certain. Hawthorn Park and Petershill Park were certainly always grass, can't be 100% sure on the previous grounds at Arrol Park and Atlas Park.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Honestly couldn't say for certain. Hawthorn Park and Petershill Park were certainly always grass, can't be 100% sure on the previous grounds at Arrol Park and Atlas Park.

Cheers bud.my question..which could have been better worded..was regarding Petershill Park.

20 hours ago, Glenconner said:

A lot of us of a certain age would remember the Perthshire Social Club beside the petrol station on Springburn Rd. Although back in time that hall belonged to the Oddfellows who were a benefit society pre the welfare state being set up in 1948. Seems before the Shire had that social club they had premises in Ardoch St in Possil.

Yes, although I don't think the garage you refer to was there at that time. There was a garage  (still there) and a caravan company further out called Trailways as I remember. It was all allotments in between there and the end of Hawthorn Street except for a piece of vacant ground on the corner opposite the Boundary Bar. All our supporters buses would stop there when we were on our way to a game against any of the Glasgow clubs (Kilsyth was a dry toon at that time).  Its all buried under the new roads now although the Police Station was built on that piece of land I think.

While we're reminiscing about old Springburn do any of you recall the sugarolly mountains at Sighthill. They were the waste dumps behind the Tennants chemical factory and the multi storey flats, now mostly demolished were built on the site. As a fifth year pupil at Kilsyth Academy we had a school visit to the works which manufactured sulphuric acid as I remember. I think the works closed very soon afterwards as I went to the Royal College in George Street. (now Strathclyde University) when i left school and seem to remember seeing them being demolished as we passed on the bus which took as in to Dundas Street bus station.

After a hard day at the college studying engineering it was in for a pint at Mathew Reid's  bar right next to the bus station, or sometimes the one on Cathedral St just opposite the bottom of Dundas St, can't remember the name. real working men's pubs, sawdust on the floor, only sold McEwans light beer or Tennants lager, none of the poncy offerings they have nowadays. Happy days indeed!

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I like your Statement  ONLY 8000 at that game.

Yes I didn't look properly , just  at the main list of games and results and didn't see it there.

On the Irvine Meadow website is a record of all their matches with attendances for on of their cup runs, 1951?? , and it comes to a tottally staggering figure in excess of 200,000 although they had many replays which boosted the figures, Some Premier league clubs, eg Hamilton, Ross County would not see that in a season probably.

Archived