St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve had a monumental and emotional week and all it has done has reaffirmed the importance and happiness and love and heart lifting joy of family. There really is no excuse to walk by on the other side of the road and if anyone ever finds themselves in a dark tunnel and feeling alone, the light that comes towards you may not be a train.. it might, just might, be someone with a light coming to look for you. Football can do that too.

We are all just players and fans and football folk and when you have shipped 6 goals in and the opposition fans applaud you off for your efforts as we did to the Newmains keeper, or you wish their proud club tied committee man well and compliment him on the fact none of his team chucked it and kept going, or you mix with the fans who are talking and laughing about dogs that used to do white sh*tes or shouting cutting comments to the ref and opposition in the way that is just really taking the mickey but is actually the greatest form of recognition you can give an opponent.. it’s all about the bigger football family and at St Roch’s that is a tangible and remarkable and an incredible thing. I’m proud to be part of the family.
It was Baltic yesterday.. 3 polar bears walked past us as we approached JMcGP and all three of them had on a new Candy pink bobble hat. “It’s frozen big man” one said in a North Pole accent “There’s a brass monkey in there looking for a welder”. We wrapped up and showed the season tickets only to be informed by our fastidious gateman that it was a cup game. I let the old man treat me and after he paid he went to get the coffees and I have a chat. Many hands are shook and it feels good to be back in the Candy fold. The old man is getting the coffees in and when I get to the club room I see two cups full and no auld man. “Yer da spilt his coffee and the Physio has him in the room”. The old guy comes back like a wounded solider, dressing and cling film administered. Thanks to the club for looking after him. Do you walk by on the other side of the road? It’s a family thing....

The game starts and we struggle to get a grip of it. Newmains are actually better than we thought and could have been at least a goal up as the big 11 (I thought he did well all game) lashed one over the bar when a side foot pass into the goal was the order of the day. I got the feeling watching them that they were a team of honest triers who were probably playing at a level a little above their standard. However they hung on and only a goal right in half time gave us a 2 goal cushion. I said at half time that it would end 6-0 because that was probably the real gulf and a heart breaker right on the break does leave you flat. And so it came to pass. It could have been double figures but for lazy finishing and good last ditch defending and good goalkeeping. One little bit of light relief came as after the 5th I think their keeper, 5 yards in front of the shed, took a drink from his bottle and threw it down in discuss. Of course this is a red rag to the Candy bulls who start shouting “now now son, calm down” then burst into a chorus of “Dont look back in anger” some people won’t agree but I think that is the ultimate show of respect. Does anyone think that being ignored or nobody bothering about what you do is respect?? That young lad will take it in good heart and remember getting applauded off. He is as much a part of the football family as any of us and that is the joy of football. It’s a family thing...

A quick shower sh*t and a shave and it’s back to the hall for the Candy Cuddie Race Night and a catch up with former team mate and Candy player dad Albert Craig and the New Zealand branch of my family. A great night of everyone together. It’s a family thing... the night ends when my NZ national team rugby coach cousin in law leads a band of merry Candy men in a Haka!! What a laugh and it finishes with the jump into the air and high fives and hugs. Family can bring everyone together.... we decant and end up back at JMcGP in the club house and the family fun continues. I call a taxi for me and the auks man wan armed bandit at 2-10am[emoji30]

I’m still struggling now but as I look back on yesterday and the last week I have an overwhelming sense of achievement, pride and belonging. When your mates are struggling and need a hand what do you do? When your team mates are struggling and need a hand what do you do? When your family need you what do you do? I have been all three of those and it is no over exaggeration to say that football has saved me and I know it can give so much to so many. St Roch’s will be announcing a new initiative shortly which will be massive. We are all part of the football family and don’t ever forget it. On this day when we remember everyone who went to war and never came back, I know many of the lads were great players. Imagine that now??

“Life, to be sure, 
Is nothing much to lose,
But young men think it is,
And we were young.”

Half your team wiped out and the heart of your community torn apart. Your family. Our family. I fully believe that regardless of whatever team you support of play for, we all make this game what it is. Every single person as important as the next. The 80 year old scalded arm fan or the Haka leading guy from the other side of the world. All in it together and I feel blessed to call it mine and be part of this fantastic and fabulous and fullfilling football family.

Mon the Candy
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]9fccf67c187de206b5d2290b310f16e2.jpg9e95df117eaa5b4879e179d338f7aad5.jpg

I’ve had a monumental and emotional week and all it has done has reaffirmed the importance and happiness and love and heart lifting joy of family. There really is no excuse to walk by on the other side of the road and if anyone ever finds themselves in a dark tunnel and feeling alone, the light that comes towards you may not be a train.. it might, just might, be someone with a light coming to look for you. Football can do that too.

We are all just players and fans and football folk and when you have shipped 6 goals in and the opposition fans applaud you off for your efforts as we did to the Newmains keeper, or you wish their proud club tied committee man well and compliment him on the fact none of his team chucked it and kept going, or you mix with the fans who are talking and laughing about dogs that used to do white sh*tes or shouting cutting comments to the ref and opposition in the way that is just really taking the mickey but is actually the greatest form of recognition you can give an opponent.. it’s all about the bigger football family and at St Roch’s that is a tangible and remarkable and an incredible thing. I’m proud to be part of the family.
It was Baltic yesterday.. 3 polar bears walked past us as we approached JMcGP and all three of them had on a new Candy pink bobble hat. “It’s frozen big man” one said in a North Pole accent “There’s a brass monkey in there looking for a welder”. We wrapped up and showed the season tickets only to be informed by our fastidious gateman that it was a cup game. I let the old man treat me and after he paid he went to get the coffees and I have a chat. Many hands are shook and it feels good to be back in the Candy fold. The old man is getting the coffees in and when I get to the club room I see two cups full and no auld man. “Yer da spilt his coffee and the Physio has him in the room”. The old guy comes back like a wounded solider, dressing and cling film administered. Thanks to the club for looking after him. Do you walk by on the other side of the road? It’s a family thing....

The game starts and we struggle to get a grip of it. Newmains are actually better than we thought and could have been at least a goal up as the big 11 (I thought he did well all game) lashed one over the bar when a side foot pass into the goal was the order of the day. I got the feeling watching them that they were a team of honest triers who were probably playing at a level a little above their standard. However they hung on and only a goal right in half time gave us a 2 goal cushion. I said at half time that it would end 6-0 because that was probably the real gulf and a heart breaker right on the break does leave you flat. And so it came to pass. It could have been double figures but for lazy finishing and good last ditch defending and good goalkeeping. One little bit of light relief came as after the 5th I think their keeper, 5 yards in front of the shed, took a drink from his bottle and threw it down in discuss. Of course this is a red rag to the Candy bulls who start shouting “now now son, calm down” then burst into a chorus of “Dont look back in anger” some people won’t agree but I think that is the ultimate show of respect. Does anyone think that being ignored or nobody bothering about what you do is respect?? That young lad will take it in good heart and remember getting applauded off. He is as much a part of the football family as any of us and that is the joy of football. It’s a family thing...

A quick shower sh*t and a shave and it’s back to the hall for the Candy Cuddie Race Night and a catch up with former team mate and Candy player dad Albert Craig and the New Zealand branch of my family. A great night of everyone together. It’s a family thing... the night ends when my NZ national team rugby coach cousin in law leads a band of merry Candy men in a Haka!! What a laugh and it finishes with the jump into the air and high fives and hugs. Family can bring everyone together.... we decant and end up back at JMcGP in the club house and the family fun continues. I call a taxi for me and the auks man wan armed bandit at 2-10am[emoji30]

I’m still struggling now but as I look back on yesterday and the last week I have an overwhelming sense of achievement, pride and belonging. When your mates are struggling and need a hand what do you do? When your team mates are struggling and need a hand what do you do? When your family need you what do you do? I have been all three of those and it is no over exaggeration to say that football has saved me and I know it can give so much to so many. St Roch’s will be announcing a new initiative shortly which will be massive. We are all part of the football family and don’t ever forget it. On this day when we remember everyone who went to war and never came back, I know many of the lads were great players. Imagine that now??

“Life, to be sure, 
Is nothing much to lose,
But young men think it is,
And we were young.”

Half your team wiped out and the heart of your community torn apart. Your family. Our family. I fully believe that regardless of whatever team you support of play for, we all make this game what it is. Every single person as important as the next. The 80 year old scalded arm fan or the Haka leading guy from the other side of the world. All in it together and I feel blessed to call it mine and be part of this fantastic and fabulous and fullfilling football family.

Mon the Candy
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]9fccf67c187de206b5d2290b310f16e2.jpg9e95df117eaa5b4879e179d338f7aad5.jpg

Good read big man , I hope yer Da got up the hospital and is recovering well.

So the time to pass has came and big B to the candy faithful has decided to part company with the club and try pastures new .
Last season after watching him for the first time I was compelled to write
" babucarr musa is one of the most talented youngsters I have saw in the junior game
He could trap a medicine baw in a phone box , has more tricks than harry houdini and is more nimble on his feet than fred astaire yes the lad is raw and yes his tactical awareness must improve but he has what many others at his age don't have and its sheer natural ability a boy born to entertain and play beautiful football and I would pay the £5 entrance fee just to see him play ".
So for me nothing much has changed since I first saw the tall Gambian plying his magic on the turf of JMP so it's with a heavy heart I say farewell best of luck and thanks for the memories.
As gerry cinnamon once sang
" it's not the best
It's not the worse
But there's diamonds in the mud".
I hope the big fella gets a top team and others enjoy watching the big fella produce his little bit of magic.

Brevity in writing :thumsup2 i like it.

I could elucidate....[emoji106]
Also, good luck to Big B. There is an old football saying taken from the native North American red indians...”Never judge a man till you have played a game in his football boots” I wish you every success big lad. You’ll always and forever be part of the Candy family. [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Michelle Lennox @michellelennox1 30m30 minutes ago

@celticfc I am family of Jim Brogan contrary to today's reports he is alive and has not passed away. Can u help the family in making this known?

matt mcglone @MattMcGlone9 29m29 minutes ago

Have just spoken to a family friend of Jim Brogan’s who have clearly stated Jim has NOT passed away. Good to hear that and clarify the situation

19 hours ago, Kinky Afro said:

I could elucidate....emoji106.png
Also, good luck to Big B. There is an old football saying taken from the native North American red indians...”Never judge a man till you have played a game in his football boots” I wish you every success big lad. You’ll always and forever be part of the Candy family. emoji172.pngemoji460.pngemoji106.png

Yep. Good luck to big b. Fantastic first touch. Sad to see him go 

Ok I’ll throw it out there.

I love Baboucarr. A genuinely nice big lad, who I got along with fantastically well. He’d often enquire about my kids and my well being...in a way that a lot of folk don’t, genuine. He’s a fantastically gifted individual, brim full of confidence in himself...and was part of my own history of St Roch’s, which also will mean I retain a whole lot of affection...same goes for all the lads who grabbed that last day promotion.
My favourite 2 moments, where his last minute wonder goal away to Maryhill...to win the game. The second, his 2 goals vs Johnstone Burgh, not even the goals in fact, his celebrations...total joy with th supporters. Was great to see.

It’s quite sad his departure coincides with his fathers death...his emotions must be all over the shot.

I think he had some growing up to do. He seemed to get involved in hassles on and off the pitch, with his own team mates and opposition.
He also wasn’t the consistent of players. I’ve seen folk telling me he was the best striker at the club...as fact. Sure if that’s yer opinion, but the stats don’t back this up.
I think if he gets his head into what he wants to do football wise, he can reach for the stars.
I haven’t seen Perthshire, so can’t tell you should he be a good signing for them or if he’ll fit.
I’ll miss him personally and the St Roch’s squad is weaker without him, but i feel after the recent transfers...we’re a better team.

Nice words Scott and I think the vast majority of fans will nod in agreement with most of what you said .
I would only disagree with your view he was not the best striker at the club when you look at his goals ratio as despite not being a prolific goalscorer his game was not just scoring goals especially in our system which tends to be one up and his role tended to be holding up the ball and bringing others into play so I think it was no surprise logan scored so many over the 3 seasons musa played in the team as his hold up play and creating for others was essential in the system we play.
Skill wise I don't think there is a player even close to his ability in the division as I said previously feet more nimble than fred astaire his touch and movement on many a coo field was a joy to behold .
So for me he was easily the best striker at the club in fact best striker in the division
Our loss is certainly shire's gain
But I look forward to his return on the 16th Dec and hope the fans give him a fantastic reception.

Looking forward to this game today,as Candy is my go to team when Bankies aint playing. Bringing the grandkids who stay 5 mins from JMP.

Been a good few times over the years and always enjoyed the candy welcome,first game was about 15 years ago,Candy  beat Annbank in WOS cup (might

have been longer lol)Glad to see a big change around the place in the last few years and always look for your score. My wifes family all come from Garngad/Royston

hence the connection.

Archived