St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

Well done Candy.

Did we deserve the point, you could argue we deserved all three, an conversely, we didn’t deserve anything.

After last weeks awful performance...I felt we came out to prove a point, and once again looked toothless...whilst Yoker looked clinical and resolute.
I dare say Yoker May feel that they were more than a counter attack side, but that’s how I seen it. Their first came from our corner (fuckin header it son)...their second and third, from breaks after concerted Roch spells. Special note to their keeper who made an outstanding one handed save from a Kieran Martin header...amazing.
However, a late goal from centre back Paul Tierney, in the 88th minute gave some light...a goal from either Aaron Millar or Danny Irvine (1 of the shots were given as crossing the line)...set up Jordy Logan to level on the 94th minute.

I feel we have been at our best this season, on the counter...so when the opposition look to contain an counter, we have struggled and we haven’t been able to break down...until 88 mins of this game.
I’d be more content if we had a notable system, but the summer signings have changed our play so much, I’m not sure we have settled at all.

I think a draw was fair, Yoker were excellent at the back for most and hit on the break expertly well. But I felt mugged at times and if nothing else, we showed a set of balls.

I’m hearing of some transfer movement in the next week... will be interesting to see what happens...today could be a firework to re-kickstart the season.

Well done gents...Newmains up next.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unreal game, roch could of had a barrel load on another day, big roch defenders nutted it and cleared off the line and yoker broke away and scored, it seemed like they were up the park three times and scored 3. Great fighting spirit to come back but need to start games with more urgency and need to stop the daft bookings for back chat to the ref. If you are going to get booked make it count for a tackle taking one for the team not daft back chat. A point out the game, should it of been 3 ? At least it was something and might count at the end of the season.

What a finish to a game , three candy goals from 89 minutes onwards , but that park ain't helping . Its a leveller.Never mind a cover for the terracing, get a 4G astro first. 

Are you volunteering? Have you any idea of the cost and planning involved in that? You can’t just stick a wet finger in the air and say “aye, dae that”

Have you ever spoken to anyone who could actually do that and opened the conversation with “hi, this is what I want to do and I have the cash to pay for it..” or “I want to do this... any chance of funding?”.... if you have or do then you may be surprised.. easy to say but massive projects that for most clubs without half a million quid or so are unachievable in the short to medium term. We have spoken to Sport Scotland experts for advice on possible funding sources and despite the good work of the club and our community work we are a “million years behind dozens of other clubs who are in the queue for the very limited funding available.” Basically “you have no chance in the short to medium term” Charter marks and massive club development is needed even to join the back of the line...

The park is another issue. We “invested” about £600 in it in the summer... a spit into the ocean of pitch maintenance but we had no money and were reliant on donations and sponsorship. An expert groundsman visited and advised... he didn’t actually say we were pissing in the wind without investing a lot in terms of ££ and time, but he wasn’t far off it. Our pitch has a lot of issues but we try. And if it is a leveller that’s fine because then the team with the most desire and passion should win and we should alway fancy ourselves on that front.

If you would like to volunteer to raising the equivalent cost of a covered enclosure yourself and then scheduling the pitch improvements and paying for them then I (and I am sure everyone at the club) would be eternally grateful... shall we await your schedule of works?? Ken will be happy to open up. In fact if you are laying a 4g I’ll open up myself...[emoji23]

We are trying and it doesn’t surprise me unfortunately when someone says “get a 4g” as if it is a lightbulb idea... do people think the club doesn’t think of these things themselves and investigate them? I really think the club are doing as much as they can on the ground improvement front given the ££ and the number of actual bodies on the ground and on the committee who are prepared do do something other than write on here and advise what they should be doing...

All help welcomed..

MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Very impressed by the number six ( the world famous A. TRAILIST ) that came on at half time and was nice to see again a player who sits in front of the back 4 and can dictate the play so hopefully we tie him and an old favourite up this week and hopefully that and today's fighting performance can give us the little spark and push which has been lacking in recent weeks .

Bit harsh there kinky
I think if you have not been to the ground often your 1st reaction is that pitch is shite which it is but there is a million and one reasons why it's shite and despite it being shite
Ken works wonders on it every week .
Folk see lots of these plastic pitches springing up all over the country in a daily basis and sometimes wrongly assume that they are cheap to buy and lay but tbf many average punters are not privy to the actual costs so like I said bit harsh let's educate folk not chide them for having an opinion .
I want floodlights but I'm not even gonna go down that road hahaha.

Am gonna give some credit to tam Hanlon today

He totally exploded today and was probably subbed cos he would have got himself sent off if he wasn't so that's something he has to work on but the last 15 or so mins we saw the real tam Hanlon on the touchline encouraging his teammates then racing down the pitch the pitch to join in with the celebrations and there was not a happier guy in the ground when Logie equalised .

What that showed me today was despite his consistent moaning the guy is a great team mate who just wants them to be the best they can .

It would have been easy to have sulked into the dressing room and then left blaming everyone else but not tam he encouraged and urged his m8s on when even I had given up the ghost on the terrace and that for me is what makes a great team mate

Well done tam

It’s not harsh at all and was delivered in my usual style and only half tongue in cheek. You will probably see the use of you plural not you individual. I fully accept that people can say what they want and I encourage it. That doesn’t mean that when you say something you can’t be challenged or educated. I was only offering the wise one the opportunity to seize the moment and their vision and allow their dream to become a reality. I hope they are not put off by the task or perhaps take up another project in the interim. This world will be ripe for their vision and insight.
In truth after I wrote it I thought “calm down”. Some people think football is easy. Some people think running a football club is easy. Some people see an end result and have no idea how you get to that point or what would need to happen to achieve it. Some people never will so why even reply? I understand that. Some people do better on their own and can filter out things like this but when your pc blows up and doesn’t start and someone says “is it plugged in mate?” You do sigh inwardly..... sometimes that also becomes an articulated and vocalised sigh...
Calm down I must, calm down I shall..
Anyone know how to calm down?
“Aye Kinky, wit yay waaant tae dae is.......XYZ... ahm tellin yay, it works” [emoji23]

Fair play to the players fighting back in the final minutes. Thought we were done for but the old Candy magic blew in on the Provanmill wind.

Every year at the start of the league season my priority as a St Roch's supporter is for the team to reach 30 pts as soon as. 30 pts or above should near enough guarantee there will be no relegation. Everything else on the park is then a bonus. The unusual problem caused without question by the manager and his backroom staff is the Candy have been dragged from the basement of the Central League Division 2 to one of the top three clubs in Central Division 1. Basically the expectations have been raised through the roof on fivers, tenners, bits and pieces of sponsorship, a race night and a now and again raffle. Team wise the last three seasons have bordered on a miracle. Eff knows where the Candy could go if they ever get a few extra pennies to spend.

I'll end with a shout out to the two supporters i saw last week up at the park with picks and shovels in hand digging out a drainage ditch. If the Candy ever get round to handing out medals those two chaps will be first in the queue. Well done lads.

It is on days like yesterday when the difference between junior football and normal football hits you. I took in 2 games yesterday and saw almost 50 different players. Some making their debuts and one guy playing his 200th game for his club. Good and bad, skilful and workmanlike, passionate and disinterested, dead and burried and home and hosed. At least, that is what it looks like in normal football. In junior football I have found, things are rarely as they seem. If you let your mind sink into it of course you see things very matter of fact and your passion for your team colours your opinion and blinkers you somewhat from reality. A junior fan is a discerning witness to events, a hostile witness and a master of all that they see. It is only when your filters are working can you figure out what the hell is really going on in this crazy maelstrom of mayhem and mirth that brings you here to be part of things on a cold winters windswept and grey skied afternoon. Normal football rarely allows the fan true immersion. Of course there is belonging and tribalism and a familiarity with your team. It isn’t like junior football though because here we can be more than a silent or vocal witness. You can be part of it in a more holistic manner and one shout is your shout and one bad tackle is felt in your mind and travels within you to your shin. Normal football doesn’t give me that. Normal football is sterile and structured and makes sense. Very little yesterday made any sense and it is that uncertainty and unpredictability which stands it out on its own. The Candy make me think so therefor I am. When you think there is no way back they find it. When you think they are driving with flat tyres they suddenly get pumped up again. When you are 3 down in the 90th minute they suddenly dig a draw out and have a half a skirmish at a winner. If you want to challenge your perception of normality then come see the Candy...you ain’t seen nothing yet.

I entered JMcGP after 70 mins and was met by a Candy corner as we attacked the dressing room shed end. I watched for 5 mins as the Yoker keeper made 3 good saves and the Candy battered and peppered their goal. Soon though it was 2-0 with a breakway, round the keeper and slid in. We hammered them again but they looked disciplined at the back. We didn’t. We looked a shambles and substitutions prevented a red I think as the vocal reality of our bad defending vented again and was replaced, again showing some shameful mannerisms which did not go down well with the fans. I actually spoke to the lad near the end on the sidelines and advised him to calm down and keep himself in check and show that he had standards and to be fair he did that. Sometimes you need someone to tell you when you are hungry. Red mist can often be described as green passion. It isn’t. It is green garbage... bin it. Another sloppy goal and we are 3 down and buried after 80. It feels even colder and I see players huffing and some not even puffing. Try or don’t try? The wee ginger 6 for us proves a notable addition and actually looked skilful and composed and we continued to press however bar a few frantic saves we were toothless and samey in front of goal and they soaked it up. What happened then rarely happens in normal football and it was a combination in my eyes of poor defending when you think the game is won, fortunate rebounds in the box, a referee who was intimidated by the home support and shaking like bambi talking his first steps, this doe eyed donut could have perhaps disallowed our first two for infringements. He didn’t and lastly a never say die Candy force of inevitability was palpable and when we got a well worked 3rd after however many minutes of injury time it seemed to be on the cards. We had 20 seconds to get a winner but Bambi blew and it was another come back from 3 down for a 3-3 draw at JMcGP. This in no way could be described as a normal game and I haven’t seen one like it for ages. So much to see and consider and ponder and shake your head at and clap your hands at and discuss and dissect. Normal football with its structure and discipline rarely throws up anything like that. You can hear every moan and the pitch dynamics are felt in your body through the heart pumping bass speaker like conduit of your eyes and ears. Open yourself to Junior football and let it envelop you. If you can cope with the mental stimulation then you will love it.

I have heard many fans opinions about this game but I just say what I feel and unfortunately this season for me I haven’t been able to take in as much as I did last season. I still felt part of it yesterday though and to see this rollercoaster game take the fans players and management from the dips to the top.. where they are looking at all around them having made it up there... smiling and happy... they should know that from there it is usually downhill. The trick is to find something in you that keeps that feeling going and keeps you away from the dips. The feeling of pride and passion. The feeling of achievement. The feeling of togetherness that getting something from nothing can bring. I hope this is a turning point and shows them that a team together can be anything and achieve anything. It is a feeling that can soar your soul and boost your brain and fly your feelings to the greatest footballing highs which you will remember forever. It is there for anyone to experience if you want it and there is nothing.. nothing... not even vaguely normal about that.

Mon the Candy!
MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Big week passed for the Candy. After the last 2 weeks....we havent been good never mind great. So on the back of that improbably point vs Yoker...we go an make 3 signings.

1. Ryan McManus - Signing from Albion Rovers. Dont know much about the youngster tbh, i'm led to believe he's a forward who is happy to play in midfield. Be interesting to see how he goes

2. Reece Glackin - Have heard in passing he has came through a bad injury spell and has signed from Edinburgh City...holding midfielder going by his debut as a trialist...and a very good one at that on early inspection. Just what we need

3. Robert Maguire - A real shame that he hasnt had an opportunity to show KRR what he is made off, as even despite his return, i think he is a very impressive player...so its with that, i have to say, i'm delighted to have him back.

All weak areas in the team the now, so here;s hoping each hit the ground running and we start playing how we should be soon enough.

Welcome lads

A fine second half performance today where we dominated the game and but for some good goalkeeping and sloppy finishing we could have hit double fixtures instead of the sexy six we rattled in. It’s an easy game from the terracing and we are not shy to comment when they don’t do well so I’ll start the reviews by saying well done. Safely through to the next round and some people came onto a game and hopefully that carries forward. A big crowd there today which is testament to the good work of our social media guru Scott who could get a decent crowd together in a phone box if he tried. Frozen Frostbite and Bitterly Baltic and a Christmas is Coming Candy feel in the air but the Warming Wonder of a good Win keeps that little internal fire burning and starts a glow inside which carries us on to next week. Candy Cuddies tonight [emoji237] and a few quid will be raised and a good night will be had I’m sure. I’ll write a wee report up tomorrow as I have missed talking about the Candy and banter and the fans discussions and comments. When you wrap the day up in a six goal victory even the cold adds something to it, rosy cheeks and a candy smile. It was a good day at the office.

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

016d16f0246ddf4e1648561fc31a53f9.jpgef9afebc07af76849330deec0941e95b.jpg

Archived