St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Genuine question , no hidden agendas , no snidey come backs but could some body explain the relatively recent phenomena that is St Rochs a team by all accounts that is bucking most trends 

We have a committee who are not only interested in running a football club but are committed to the local community. They run various projects to help the local youngsters and also the elderly in the community.
This I feel help promote the club and people are repaying the club by coming on a Saturday to support. Charity is also at the heart of the club as you will see the fans donated to the club to buy an "away" strip which instead of having a commercial sponsor on it it was decided to promote the see the invisible homeless charity on it.

Team appears to be on the up , by all accounts crowds increasing substantially and regularly there seems to be a right good positive feeling about the place .Having watched football at all levels and in all the regions of junior football teams are slowly dying on their arses Supporters buses if they exist are like sunshine coaches from the local care home.......not every where obviously but in too many cases you chaps don't appear to be typical of the demographic

Team appears to be on the up , by all accounts crowds increasing substantially and regularly there seems to be a right good positive feeling about the place .Having watched football at all levels and in all the regions of junior football teams are slowly dying on their arses Supporters buses if they exist are like sunshine coaches from the local care home.......not every where obviously but in too many cases you chaps don't appear to be typical of the demographic

It great to see positive feedback about what folk see about our wee club. If you are able to make it along to a home game come along and sample our wares. You will be made more than welcome.

44 minutes ago, Rochstar1920 said:

It great to see positive feedback about what folk see about our wee club. If you are able to make it along to a home game come along and sample our wares. You will be made more than

44 minutes ago, Rochstar1920 said:

It great to see positive feedback about what folk see about our wee club. If you are able to make it along to a home game come along and sample our wares. You will be made more than welcome.

St Roch"s have been on my go to list for a wee while .Tried last season but the park was waterlogged.As a sad b*****d that can trace his family history back to the 17th century I can probably claim some sort of honorary membership of your lot as my family go back to 1904/05 at least in Garngad when they arrived from elsewhere

Tbh it's just finding people within a football club who are prepared to get stuck in and help out but the roch are very lucky as they have some really inspirational guys who are prepared to give there time and in some cases there money to improve the club the ground and the match day experience at the football club .

Obviously charity is one of there main priorities and I'm of the firm belief that what you give in life you get back and I think that is borne out with the love shown by many towards the football club cos they see it's about people not profits and tbh as a football club and a community we don't have much anyway but what do have we are prepared to share with those less fortunate than ourselves.

I myself help run the 1920 supporters club so I would like to extend an invitation to yourself if you care to join us on our travels to watch a candy away match this season .

We also created online candy store and club merchandise stall at the ground this season which again will hopefully not only get our name out there to places further than the garngad but also generate some income for the football club plus last week we also managed to raise a few bob for see the invisibles charity which went to great use and allowed them to buy in some clothing for those left forgotten on Glasgow's streets.

In short there is no simple answer but rather a combination of great people hard work and a bit of luck which has seen the roch transformed and bucking the trend and long may it continue.

The age old question of what makes a great football club? Interesting to hear people's opinions and refreshing to hear positive comments. I think social media plays a part because the word gets out there. If you haven't been then it must be what you have heard or have read and that is a good thing. P&B helps as we have more views on our thread than the vast majority of the so called big teams. I would pay special compliments to Scott who does an outstanding job with Twitter and 1920 TV. [emoji122][emoji122] There are also fans like GOTW and Mark (there are many others) who get off their arses and do stuff like the shop, the bus, the season ticket cards, the flags etc who make a massive difference. Billy doingbthe Invisibles charity work, big Candyman doing the match day music etc. It is testament to the hard working club officials and staff that they can attract a decent squad which allows the club to compete, their's is a thankless and mostly unseen task. The players have been good bad sugar and shite in equal measures which made for a rollercoaster season last season which excites the fans and frustrated them in equal measure. More and more started coming to soak it up and get their Candy Rush. Like the guy who behaves like a true gentleman on his first date, posh restaurant, compliments and some roses... there is always the feeling being a Candy fan that we could again reach the highs of previous victories and performances. Some glorious games last season in victory and defeat only serve to keep you coming back and doing your bit for the greater good. I particularly liked the free Christmas events for local pensioners, the free homework study and tuition classes for local youngsters, the free football coaching for anyone including refugees and immigrants as well as local kids which fosters greater community coherence and tolerance. We are anti discrimination and our fans have stood up to and tackled racism at our games, we held a free easter party and gave all local kids what might have been their only Easter egg. We support charities and had a raffle for a fellow junior team in Ayrshire who had an issue with their changing rooms. We have done loads more that I can't even remember....

A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. A club who stands for nothing is worth nothing. I am a proud Candy Fan, we don't do everything right and yes we have issues, but we have a great set of fans, a great committee, an honest team of triers, a proud history and follow a club who stands tall in, and for, our community. As a decent human being and an honest diehard lover of the game.. a normal everyday football fan....what else could you want??

Mon the Candy!

MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

14 hours ago, Village elder said:

I've taken a liking to them as they do quite a lot of community and charity work, probably more than a lot of bigger sides. I'd happily give them my football fiver on a Saturday on that basis alone.

Having only been up to a Roch game once I was quite impressed by the numbers they drew and the general vibe of the place. Stuff like selling books for charity, the flags and stuff they had out, the guy playing music out a sound system. and getting to have a wee couple of drinks while watching the game. It all made for a good setting for enjoying your Saturday afternoon. 

They obviously benefit from Celtic supporting blaw-ins (which is what I am as well I suppose), and it would be interesting to see what sort of crowds they could manage if they every got to the top division.  

19 hours ago, Village elder said:

Others have succinctly lauded the efforts of the club.

I think the over riding factor, is the open minded approach of willing volunteers.  Since i have been involved, the old adage of "thats how its always been done"  attitude has dissipated quite rapidly, replaced with the more helpful "why not" look on things.

The are of which the club is situated in, isn't the most affluent by any stretch and has felt somewhat left out, with regards regeneration over the years (or so i am told) so  it has very much imo, kept its community feel much more to where i am from.  So the connect between the club and community is still there, despite maybe an element of separation over the years previous. Very much a look after the community and the community will reward you. Maintaining that connect is hard, especially when you consider the standard of player (and obvious outgoings) have gone up, so its not always perfect, but if the effort is there, then that is good.

The manager however, is again imo,  absolutely huge and the catalyst in the turn around. His enthusiasm, his contacts, his passion and drive...i really hope we can put something in place to allow the club to be sustainable, but the day he decides he is done with it, will be a massive loss.

Kinky I have secured some work in Fife for the foreseeable future and going to miss my junior fix.  Will be living in Kirkcaldy for ease of commute between Methil and Burntisland but the junior team there are at the foot of the regional league. From your experience in the East can you recommend a team or two to follow either in the Premier or super league?

The PRF (People's Republic of Fife) is a fabulous hotbed of junior football and I am sure you will find your own way, just make sure your Passport
stays valid so you can get out if you have to!! . There are a multitude of teams within easy drive of Kirkcaldy (including Kirkcaldy themselves) and I have enjoyed and endured (sometimes during the same 90 mins) many an eventful day watching the Hoose on their travels ower that fkn bridge. There was a season when I seemed to drive over it every week and did 2500 miles watching them....they almost named the Queensferry Crossing "The Kinky Bridge" in my honour. It was a miracle if you came back over it from Fife with your sanity and nerves intact let alone any points. The big boys were Kelty who have moved up, Glenrothes who play at the fabulously named huge council ran "War Out" stadium where I saw a 3-3 draw In torrential storm conditions when the score was 1-0 to them after 90mins. Stoppage time seeing 5 goals, 3 red cards and the remaining 19 players in a mass brawl before the referee blew his whistle and ran straight to the car park. I also went to Kennoway Star Hearts who play on the sloppiest (as in slope, not sloppy) pitch in junior football situated in a field, reached by driving/walking over a cattle grid. I loved my trips to Fife and the fans always gave a bit back in the insults and banter department which I loved, good football folk who love the game.
Perhaps you could ground hop and see who has what on offer and see the different clubs at different levels with different personalities. One thing you will find constant is a pride in their team and despite their partisan support, they appreciate good football and good players and engage with opposition fans and neutrals. You are in for an enjoyable season.
Mon the PRF!!
"They'll maybe take our lives, but they'll never take our FFFFFFFFFFFFFFife"

Why say 1 word, when 754 will do Kinky [emoji1303]

It all helps colour in the blank tapestry of the game indelibly etched on our psyche... [emoji23] I'll be looking for the old 1,2,3 tomorrow....more than One or Two words from Twitter and Three points as work is taking me away. Good luck to the lads.
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

All quiet from the pillars of society junior football club.

Same mob who have been trying to tell Rossvale how to run there facility all week and can't keep tramps out the away dressing room.

Sickening if all this is true. 

5 hours ago, TugW said:

Pure and utter scum stealing the belongings of a visiting club. 

St Rochs have a lot to answer for. 

25 minutes ago, muller said:

All quiet from the pillars of society junior football club.

Same mob who have been trying to tell Rossvale how to run there facility all week and can't keep tramps out the away dressing room.

Sickening if all this is true. 

Absolutely pathetic infantile shite comments  from the gloating posters above.Nothing like having a dig at an organisation trying to do positive things .The 2 short sighted dimwits seem to forget that that the club were also victims in the not too distant past .Opportunistic arseholes will always exist trying to make play from the vulnerable and the the trusting  but that should not stop individuals and groups speaking out against perceived or actual wrongs and striving to change what is not acceptable in society

If that's true then it's undeniably terrible, but the way a couple of posters are all but saying (with barely contained glee) that St Roch were in somehow involved as a club in theft from an opponent betrays the grubby wee agenda they clearly harbor against them.  

The point scoring seems to be just as pathetically opportunistic as the alleged theft would have been. 

Archived